Platinum #3776 Century Review

Pencilcaseblog

Pencilcaseblog: It's had a day and a half's use and it's feeling better, I like a bit of feedback and I'm not being critical until it's had a couple of weeks running-in! In my defence I called it "a bit" rough, not outright "rough" :) !

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pencilcaseblog

• owend

• maverink

• The Pantaloon Duck

Pencilcaseblog: It's had a day and a half's use and it's feeling better, I like a bit of feedback and I'm not being critical until it's had a couple of weeks running-in! In my defence I called it "a bit" rough, not outright "rough" :) !

Good to hear!

Dries | The PencilCase Blog | www.pencilcaseblog.com

I am a noob to FPN, so Hi guys! :) I have two Century's---the Bourgogne with a Fine nib and black with a medium nib. They are both fantastic pens. Since TPB wrote a great review, I see no reason to write my own. I'll just throw my 2 cents in. First, I have had the Bourgogne for a few months now and it's a little fine for daily use (great for editing though), The fine is definitely an extra fine by western standards--maybe even finer than a western XF. Even among the Japanese makers, Platinum nibs lay down finer lines--slightly finer than sailor and noticeably finer than pilot. Being such a fine nib, it is amazingly smooth. By that I mean, there is definitely feedback, but it's putting down a .2 mm line. How are you not going to get feedback? If you had the manually dexterity and vision, you could write print that is basically 4 point font with this nib. So, for this type of nib, it's about as smooth as it can get. What's amazing about this nib is that I HAVE NEVER HAD A HARD START OR A SKIP WITH THIS PEN!!! NOT EVEN ONCE!!!! This pen sat in my case for about 6 weeks unused. I took it out to fill out a form and it just laid down ink as if it I had just filled it up. The ink flow is also perfectly balanced. It's not a gusher nor is it dry. It's got the perfect amount of ink at the end to keep the ink flowing and nib running smooth and true. I have give Platinum tons of credit for designing a fabulous feed. Although I don't love proprietary converters, in this case the wider opening and concave design on Platinum's proprietary converter actually serves a purpose in improving ink flow--it's not simply a gratuitous way of making you a captive to platinum products.

As for my black medium, I purchased this pen because, while I was impressed with the fine nib on my Bourgogne, I wanted something a bit closer to a western fine for taking notes and everyday use. I was not disappointed. The Platinum medium nib is very similar to most western fines I have used. In fact, I would say it's very comparable to the fine nib on my Faber Castell E-Motion--both are super smooth. Out of the box, the Platinum medium was a little toothy, but after going through a converter full of ink, it smoothed out considerably. This is now become my daily carry. As was the case case with my Bourgogne, in the last month of regular use (daily), I have never had a hard start or skip with this nib. As nicely as both pens write, I really have love the design of this nib. Perhaps its the unique, flat shape of the nib, but it looks considerably bigger han the nib on the 1911S and is very nicely proportioned to the barrel. I wouldn't mind a little more design/engraving on the nib, but this is of little importance. I have plenty Italian pens with beautifully engraved 18k nibs, that can't write for sh!t without the help of a highly skilled nibmeister (Montegrappa, I am talking to you!).

As far as build quality is concerned, I definitely have to agree with TPB. My first impression of the pen was that it was very light and didn't feel nearly as substantial as other acrylic pens I own. After using them for a while though, I have changed my opinion. I think the build quality is actually very good. The barrel is finished beautifully. It is nicely polished and there is no evidence of any seams at all. The cap is perfect, with a nice tight clip and the ring is well finished, secure and perfectly aligned (something that is not a given from other high end makers). Although you can see a seam on the section, I could say the same for the MB 145 I used to own.

I paid $113 shipped for the Bourgogne (ebay) and $92 shipped for the black (amazon). At those prices, this is seriously one of the best fountain pen bargains out there. I know american retailers sell this pen for north of $150 and, even at that price, I would consider this pen a bargain. I just ordered two more to give as gifts. I can't think of a better pen to give to a person that has never owned or used a fountain pen before. It's like a Fountain Pen version of a Lexus or Toyota. It just works the way it should and it's great value for the money. :)

Edited by set2374

+1 on the bourgone red

i got mine from rakuten its cheaper than ebay

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

I have a 3776 Century and it's...okay. Yes, the plastic feels less refined than an comparable Sailor or Pilot, but what really gets me is the diameter of the section. I find it to be too narrow for a pen this size. Between the section size, the step down and (my) need to post the pen, it's an odd feeling pen in my hand. As a result, I really don't reach for it and I think I'm going to be sending it down the road at some point in the near future.

I have a 3776 Century and it's...okay. Yes, the plastic feels less refined than an comparable Sailor or Pilot, but what really gets me is the diameter of the section. I find it to be too narrow for a pen this size. Between the section size, the step down and (my) need to post the pen, it's an odd feeling pen in my hand. As a result, I really don't reach for it and I think I'm going to be sending it down the road at some point in the near future.

Yes, I have pens with better quality resin/plastic than the century--but most of those pens cost a LOT more than the Century. Compared to other Japanese makers, hmmmm.... not so sure. I had a Pilot Custom 74, which was a very nice pen, but it was lighter than the Century even though it was a marginally larger pen. I don't think the quality of the plastic was really any better. I can't speak to other Pilot/Namiki models,but I would assume the material quality improves on some of the more expensive models? I have messed around with a 1911S that I bought as a gift for a client and I demoed an 1911L at B&M near me. Both are nice pens, but I didn't really feel the plastic/resin was actually any different than on the Century. Mind you, I am ONLY speaking about the quality of the plastic. As impressed as I am with the quality of the Century, the finish on the Sailor 1911 is a level up from the Century--but not by a huge margin and probably not enough to justify the substantially higher price on the Sailor models.

As I see it, the advantages of the 1911 over the Century are as follows:

(i) better quality engraving on the cap band;

(ii) the polishing of the resin on the cap and barrel is marginally better;

(iii) the polishing on the section is noticeably better on the 1911--no seam;

(iv) the 21k nib on the 1911 is more attractive (I like the engraving on the 1911 Nib, although the two tone nib on the pro gear is really sweet);

(v) i like that Sailor has a gasket where you screw the section into the barrel--that's a nice, high quality, touch.

Advantages of the Century:

(i) I think the quality of the gold plating on the clip, rings is a little better on the century. It's also a perfect match for the nib (not sure if the nib is plated or not)

(ii) slip and seal mechanism in the cap is a great feature;

(iii) 14k nib on the Century is bigger/nicer than the the 14k nib used on the 1911S;

(iv) Nib performance on the Century with medium nib is better than the 1911S with 14k nib IMO. The demo 1911L I played with was very nice, but the medium nib was a little wet for my taste (disclaimer: using a demo 1911L is not necessarily a fair way to compare);

(v) the Platinum converter is much better than the the Sailor converter IMO and it has a higher capacity (not con-70, but really decent). It also is more stingy with ink, so you get a good deal of mileage from a cartridge full;

The Century is pretty darn close the Sailor in terms of quality overall. If you consider price though, the Century is a tasty alternative and possibly a better value.. I do want to add a sailor to my collection in the near future, but I think I going to go for a higher end model...Pro Gear II Realo maybe or a sterling silver 1911L. The Platinum President is also an interesting pen, but there aren't too many reviews on it. That's a pretty snazzy option.

I love the look of this pen, and the price (Amazon and eBay) is perfect. I only wish the SF nib was one that was a bit easier to get my hands on. I'll be getting one soon!!

Hmmn- well I got one of these in black earlier this year and for the money- £80 or so I thought that it was a good buy but the soft-fine nib was dry and scratchy even with flossing and even with aurora black ink which normally bends the most recalcitrant dry nibs to my will- in the end I am afraid that I gave up on it- I would hope that the broader widths would be more generous because side by side with a Sailor 1911 the two are very similar in apparent quality - shame really.

I also have the Bourgogne with a medium nib. Inked with Diamine Oxblood (great combo btw) it is a little wetter than other Japanese mediums I have used. Love the pen, though.

Nice review. I have a black medium; at first I got very frustrated with the springy/soft nib and was ready to sell it right away. I am used to nails. But after giving it a second and a third chance, I must say that I have come to love it. Also it is one of the most well behaved pens that I have, only being equalled by my Safaris when it comes to starting right away - even after a long (weeks) pause.

Edited to say that unlike the Safaris, the 3776 is a bit critical with your choice of ink. The Safaris will write with anything I throw at them, but I have found that the 3776 works best with at rather wet ink like Diamine Jet Black and Waterman Serenity

Edited by hbdk

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Well I've had my 3776 (medium nib) for two and a half weeks now, so time for a better assessment! It feels good generally, although I find the step down from the barrel and then the cap threads are at just the wrong place for my grip and irritate a bit.

The nib has broken in nicely - I found it a bit scratchy at first as I've said. A bit of polishing on steel helped, but switching ink was the best improvement - it felt scratchy with Quink and Lamy inks, but it's now on Diamine Jet Black and seems much happier. It's a perfect starter, and lays down a regular mid-wet line, very pleasant. The wierdest thing about it is if I press more firmly it looks as though it's flexing, but on looking closer the entire nib is lifting off the feed, it shows daylight for 4-5mm! It still writes well like that but it responds best to a light touch. Diamine seems to be the trend for this pen!

Overall it's a good writer now, good feel for quality of build and it looks great - classic black shape with gold trim and that lovely big nib!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review largely reflecting my own opinions. I recently acquired a 3776 Century with gold trim from Cult Pens with the 20% discount. I had an issue when new - it kept drying up/was difficult to start, so I cleaned in an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner and have had no problems since. It is almost identical in appearance to the Sailor 1911L so much so that I have to be careful which I select from my pot. The medium nib is very smooth with a very slight flex, but not the smoothest I have. However, this isn't a crticism as it's a pleasure to write with on a variety of papers. At the price, £79 with the 20% discount, it must be one of the best value pens available in the UK and looks very classy. However, I still like my Sailor 1911L which I got from ebay for £120, and another recent acquisition, a Kaweco Dia 2, which has one of the smoothest nibs I've ever experienced and is also very good value albeit slightly more expensive at around £90.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

• 2 months later...

i have one with broad nib. the nib provides the perfect amount of feedback and stiffness to write fast. it is one of my favorite pen because the nib is just so easy to control!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

" Platinum nibs lay down finer lines--slightly finer than sailor and noticeably finer than pilot."

"I HAVE NEVER HAD A HARD START OR A SKIP WITH THIS PEN!!! NOT EVEN ONCE!!!! "

"...this is seriously one of the best fountain pen bargains out there."

This entire post is an excellent summation and I concur wholeheartedly. In comparison to a Sailor 1911, 21k, medium nib, the 3776 nib is a tiny bit finer and compared to the Pilot Custom 74, 14k, medium nib it's noticeably finer. There is noticeable feedback (or talk-back), but no scratchiness It is a drier writer than the pilot, but never skips or hard starts. There is pure confidence when touching pen to paper, of the line and exactly what to expect.

At around $80, directly from Japan, this pen is a no-brainer and excellent, excellent value. Build quality is a touch less than my Sailor, but a bit better than my Pilot. IMHO, of the 3, the 3776 seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Edited by eyesa

Hi, good review, my experience with the Chartres Blue 3776 with medium nib is somewhat similar... The medium nib is very wet... Gushes...so not vey good on moleskine and everyday paper that I have to use in office. I'm still using it as it is a smooth writer and very comfortable to use...