Platinum #3776 Century Review

Pencilcaseblog

-This review is an adapted version of the one that can be found on my personal blog (www.pencilcaseblog.com). Visit my blog for more pictures, a copy of the written review and of course many other pen, pencil, paper and ink reviews. Enjoy the review! (Full Platinum #3776 review: http://www.pencilcaseblog.com/2014/05/platinum-3776-century-fountain-pen.html)-

post-113505-0-92781300-1413652602_thumb.jpg

Japanese high-quality fountain pens have grown immensely popular over the last few years, which isn't very strange if you consider the great quality of brands like Sailor, pilot, Nakaya,... Unfortunately, most of them are also quite expensive. The Platinum #3776 Century is different though, it's in a much more acceptable price range. But can it still keep up with the more expensive pens

The #3776 is very similar to the Sailor 1911 Large I reviewed a couple of weeks ago. It has approximately the same shape, almost the same size,... Apart from the gold accents instead of silver, it is hardly any different in appearance.

The looks of the #3776 are quite satisfying, it's a classic, cigar-shaped acrylic pen with classy gold accents. It's a very decently sized pen, at 14cm, or around 5.5 Inches when closed. However it is quite light, only 20 grams, but that's inherent to the acrylic material used for the body and cap.

The difference in price is only slightly visible if it comes to design and build quality: The acrylic on this pen feels a bit cheaper, and seems slightly less scratch-resistant than the Sailor, there's also a small seam on the section of the pen.

post-113505-0-58468200-1413652598_thumb.jpg

The center band has some very subtle and stylish engraving, this is also the only branding visible on the outside of the pen. The gold trims work quite well with the black acrylic, but for those who prefer silver trims: there's also a more modern-looking silver trimmed version available.

Overall I really like the looks and the build quality of this pen is still very decent, it just isn't on par with the Sailor yet.

I personally prefer to post the cap, because it adds some weight, but it's long enough to be used unposted as well! There is a little step from barrel to section, but I haven't really had any trouble with it.

A cool feature of this particular model is the slip and seal cap. It ensures an airtight seal when capped, which makes it almost impossible to dry out. Platinum states that it can easily survive months without drying out. I'm really impressed by this feature, the system has worked flawlessly so far, it's so easy, but brilliant at the same time! The pen always starts to write as soon as it hits the paper. A very occasional hard start occurs, but not nearly as often as with other pens!

post-113505-0-28613500-1413652610_thumb.jpg

On the business-end, you'll find a decent sized 14k gold nib that performs excellent. It has a rather minimalistic appearance, which gives the pen a modern touch. The Medium nib writes smooth, though with a noticeable amount of feedback. The flow is very balanced, not too wet, but not dry either, it doesn't skip at all (Also because of the slip and seal cap!). I found the Medium to be more like a European fine, but it's still broader than most Japanese Mediums would be. The nib performs really good, the price difference isn't noticeable at all when it comes to writing performance!

All things considered, the Platinum #3776 Century is a great pen for those who want a high-quality Japanese writing tool, without breaking the bank. In fact, you can never go wrong with a pen like this - and same goes for the Sailor-, it's a design that will probably never go out of style!

Yes, it does have a few construction flaws, but for around 170 USDollars, this is definitely a good deal! This model is also available in a silver trim version, as well as a transparent burgundy red and transparent Chartres blue version for the same price or even less!

Dries | The PencilCase Blog | www.pencilcaseblog.com

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pencilcaseblog

• owend

• maverink

• Bill P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review, in line with my own observations. I got a bourgogne one lately with a B nib that writes very smoothly. The line width is M at most, narrower than my Micarta B. I like the fact that the nib is not too wet, you can use this pen on cheaper paper without massive show through.

My only regret is not to have bought this pen earlier. Very happy.

Cheers,

Pierre

Nice review, in line with my own observations. I got a bourgogne one lately with a B nib that writes very smoothly. The line width is M at most, narrower than my Micarta B. I like the fact that the nib is not too wet, you can use this pen on cheaper paper without massive show through.

My only regret is not to have bought this pen earlier. Very happy.

Thanks! They do indeed run a bit narrower than the European standard. Probably a combination of being a Japanese pen and the fact that it's not a gusher!

Nice review:-) I bought the "Nice pur" version because I have an allergy to black cigars with gold trim, but the regular version is currently available for about £80 in the UK, which is a fantastic bargain.

Thanks for the review! I've only had mine for a few weeks, but am very happy. At $220 retail it's a bit expensive but easily found discounted to $160 to 170, direct from Japan at around $100.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

yes its sub usd100 from rakuten japan love the wine red 3776 century pen

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Great pen!Congrats

In my opinion , best price quality you can get on the market

Never had flow issues with them either

Nice review:-) I bought the "Nice pur" version because I have an allergy to black cigars with gold trim, but the regular version is currently available for about £80 in the UK, which is a fantastic bargain.

Yes, I noticed lately! I'm tempted to buy one of those 'pur' as well! They are qorgeous and the price is good! I don't really like gold trims either, this one's my dads platinum, the rhodium trims weren't available where he bought it!

Hello, comparing to Sailor 14 kt nib, this pen has the same line or is it broader?

Edited by Francesco179

its line is finer than pilot nibs

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

The 3776 is a nice pen, though I must say that the version with the Soft Fine nib is my choice for comfortable writing.

I believe that the demonstrator versions are nice, unfortunately they have some imperfections in the nib section area.

Still, wonderful pens for daily use! I would pick the 3776 sized Platinum music nib pen anyday over the smaller one.

The 3776 is a nice pen, though I must say that the version with the Soft Fine nib is my choice for comfortable writing.

I believe that the demonstrator versions are nice, unfortunately they have some imperfections in the nib section area.

Still, wonderful pens for daily use! I would pick the 3776 sized Platinum music nib pen anyday over the smaller one.

Those two nibs are indeed quite cool! I'll have to try them out one day! Indeed the imperfections on the Nice do worry me, after all it isn't that cheap compared to the normal version!

I love my 3776, I bought it several months ago and I keep using it. For such a low price ($90-100 from Japanese sellers), it's a pen definitely worth buying.

I have this one as well and am impressed with this pen, like others from Japan. The comment about the acrylic feeling cheap always interests me as my flashlight yields the same red glow thru this acrylic as I get in my MB 146. But feeling is subjective. I actually think the pen feels more sturdy than my Sailor 1911's.

Looking for a recommendation....on a nib selection for the Platinum 3776 Century

I have decided to purchase one, but the nib size is the issue.

I typically like my Vanishing Point medium nib, Micarta fine point, Metropolitan Medium, Pilot 823 Medium, Faber Castell Ondoro and Ambition Fine..

I see that Platinum offers a Soft Fine for the 3776..What are the characteristics of a soft fine? How does it perform compared to a fine nib?

Does that mean that the Soft fine is somewhat of a flex nib?

Which size nib would you recommend, which would compare favorably to the nibs that I enjoy as listed above?

I also do NOT like scratchy nibs...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bill

My 3776 medium is pretty much identical to my VP medium in terms of line width and feel, if that's any help :)

I went nuts and got the XXF nib on my Chartres Blue 3776. This is the finest nib I have ever seen. It does write very smoothly considering how fine it is, and the flow is perfect. I will use it mainly for filling in very fine forms. It's always a good idea to keep some of Goulet's thin brass sheets around for getting fibers out, but especially with a nib like this.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I've just got mine, ordered Friday 2.30pm arrived Saturday 11.30am and at 20% discount, good job Cult Pens!! They have the promotion until the end of October if anyone's interested (no connection).

I'm pleasantly surprised at how solid it feels, and its size - reading reviews, quite a few comments about it being on the small side and a bit lightweight, but it's exactly the same length as my Pelikan M200 unposted, and about 4mm longer posted, and it feels a bit heavier than the M200.

It seems well built; I got it in a medium nib, which writes (for you, Bill P) almost the same as my Ambition Fine. I'm a little disappointed in the nib, it's a bit rough-feeling, but I've only had it inked for a couple of hours and not much use yet, I won't judge it until it's had a writing-in for a few days. It's not scratchy, just feedback, and the inkflow is good: steady, not too wet, very pleasant.

I was eying the blue or burgundy, but the black eventually won out as looking "classic"!

I've just got mine, ordered Friday 2.30pm arrived Saturday 11.30am and at 20% discount, good job Cult Pens!! They have the promotion until the end of October if anyone's interested (no connection).

I'm pleasantly surprised at how solid it feels, and its size - reading reviews, quite a few comments about it being on the small side and a bit lightweight, but it's exactly the same length as my Pelikan M200 unposted, and about 4mm longer posted, and it feels a bit heavier than the M200.

It seems well built; I got it in a medium nib, which writes (for you, Bill P) almost the same as my Ambition Fine. I'm a little disappointed in the nib, it's a bit rough-feeling, but I've only had it inked for a couple of hours and not much use yet, I won't judge it until it's had a writing-in for a few days. It's not scratchy, just feedback, and the inkflow is good: steady, not too wet, very pleasant.

I was eying the blue or burgundy, but the black eventually won out as looking "classic"!

The nibs are indeed not THE smoothest, there's a certain amount of feedback. But I wouldn't call it 'rough'?