Pilot Metropolitan Vs 78G

Sundrah

Hello everyone! You may remember me from annoying threads about cheap stuff! I'm back one final round ~

What does everyone think about the pen that provides for the best overall performance between the Pilot Metropolitan and the 78G? Better performance on cheap paper is preferred! Bleeding due to level of wetness on a pen has been an issue for me.(woah I learned something xD)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sundrah

• Algester

• tinysnail

• kidde

Top Posters In This Topic

ok do understand both these pens have the same internals (feed and nib) but the nib color... so... they perform the same so I dunno your points will only boil down to weight and size the Cocoon is bigger than the 78G and because the Cocoon is made of metal it's heavier than the 78G

You're definitely going to want a fine nib on whichever pen you choose, if performance on cheap paper is a priority.

I have one Metropolitan in a fine nib and one 78G in a fine nib, which isn't a huge sample size, but I can still share my take on each.

Metropolitan:

-Smooooooth smooth smooth nib (one of the finest I had... until I dropped it and messed up the nib)

-Made of brass, so feels heavy

-Lots of choices of finish

-Cap doesn't post very securely IME

78G

-Nib was dry and scratchy but writes better now after some adjustment

-Choice of four colours, all with gold trim. Personally, I like the way the 78G looks better than the Metro.

-Made of plastic and feels cheap

-Light

-slimmer than the metro

-cap posts well

I have each with me right now, actually, so I can take some pictures for scale etc.

You're definitely going to want a fine nib on whichever pen you choose, if performance on cheap paper is a priority.

I have one Metropolitan in a fine nib and one 78G in a fine nib, which isn't a huge sample size, but I can still share my take on each.

Metropolitan:

-Smooooooth smooth smooth nib (one of the finest I had... until I dropped it and messed up the nib)

-Made of brass, so feels heavy

-Lots of choices of finish

-Cap doesn't post very securely IME

78G

-Nib was dry and scratchy but writes better now after some adjustment

-Choice of four colours, all with gold trim. Personally, I like the way the 78G looks better than the Metro.

-Made of plastic and feels cheap

-Light

-slimmer than the metro

-cap posts well

I have each with me right now, actually, so I can take some pictures for scale etc.

When it comes to fast writing, would you say the nib on the Metropolitan outperforms?

When it comes to fast writing, would you say the nib on the Metropolitan outperforms?

For me, definitely. I've tried other people's Metropolitan's and they've been wonderful as well. I'm hesitant to generalize about the 78G because this is the only one I have tried and it might just be a dud :/

There's a small chance that Metros get an additional nib check before leaving the facility, but otherwise the nib, feed, and section are all identical with the exception of the cosmetic plating.

Do not expect one to outperform the other consistently, as they are the same pen in different shells.

Robert.

I can't comment on the 78, but I have a fine point Metropolitan. If I use J. Herbin Bleu Nuit with it, it doesn't feather too bad on the cheap copy paper at work, but it does a little, especially if I let the nib linger. It bothers me enough to use a nice gel pen instead, like a Signo or HI-TEC-C.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I mean come on what do you not understand about a pen sporting the same feed and nib and it outperforms the same other nib and feed of course they are the same silly... though to be honest I dont like the step on the Cocoon so...

PS: if you still don't know I'm using the Metropolitan's local name which is the Cocoon, if your ever going to find your self a cheap pen in Japan they do not understand what the Metropolitan is...

I will change my argument if you put in the difference between a Celemo and a Cocoon or 78G because the Celemo despite having the same feed as the Cocoon and 78G it's a gold nib for a measly 50 bucks

Edited by Algester

It's not just the nib and feed...the whole section is the same. I have seen the pen sold under the name 88G.

Robert.

I own almost all of them. Four, or is it five, 78gs and one Met.

The Met is about $15-20, depending where you are and where you get it.

The 78G will run you $10-12, ditto. I got mine from pokydady on fleabay.

Hands down, the met nib is way smoother, but only comes in M in the USA. Whereas the 78g comes in F, M, B and BB (the B and BB are untipped...in other words, italics).

Met is heavier. Mine has a snap cap. The 78gs may have threaded caps...I'm down here and too lazy to check. But I LOVE cheap pen questions! Has this helped?

Hello everyone! You may remember me from annoying threads about cheap stuff! I'm back one final round ~

What does everyone think about the pen that provides for the best overall performance between the Pilot Metropolitan and the 78G? Better performance on cheap paper is preferred! Bleeding due to level of wetness on a pen has been an issue for me.(woah I learned something xD)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have several of both models and for me it comes down to weight and writing comfort, which varies depending on the user. Personally, there's no comparison--I find the Metropolitan to be among the pens that I reach for the most often. It just feels more solid and well-balanced, especially for long writing sessions; but again, different strokes . . . . And I've been able to get Metropolitans from US vendors with fine nibs without problem.

I'm still amazed at how inexpensive the Metropolitans are--I most recently bought a blue one with a fine nib from Staples for around $12.00 via an unannounced on-line special. The Metropolitan is now the pen that I gift folks who are just getting into the addiction . . I mean habit.

Hands down, the met nib is way smoother, but only comes in M in the USA.

Not so! The fine-nibbed Metro has been available in the US for some time now; I have a fine-nib one in the lizard pattern from Goulet Pens.

Also, I have both the Metro and the 78G in both fine and medium and I have not noticed any difference in their performance. Go with whichever looks nicest to you.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

Like every other pen out there, if you try two that should be identical you may find glaring differences. I have multiples of many Pilot pens and often they are at least slightly different.

Nibs and feeds are the same across the line for Metropolitan/Prera/Penmanship/Kakuno/78g/Plumix. IME the italic/stub nibs tend to be on the dry side, while the EF/F/M tend to offer good flow still leaning dry.

You're choice is more weight/appearance and screw/slip cap. Pilot tends to have high QC so actual problems are few.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

I have both pens, a Metropolitan with an M nib and a 78G with a B (stub) nib. I swapped the nibs on them, so I primarily use the 78G body with a Metro nib. This is because the 78G body is much lighter in comparison to the Metro, so it's more comfortable for me to use for fast writing. For that particular purpose I find the Metro a little heavy at the back since it's a metal body, but I have pretty small hands.

I can't help you with the 78G but I've used my metropolitan with F nib on a cheap staples notebook and while I can write incredibly fast and smooth I wouldn't use both sides of the paper. I got a wetter pen.

I prefer the Metropolitan to the 78G, mainly because of the weight and finish. My daughter's Metro fine is smoother than my 78G fine even though they are equipped with the same nib. The fine nib in my other daughter's Kakuno is smoother still, and it has the same nib as the Metro and the 78G.

I purchased the 78G from Ebay, the Metropolitan from Jetpens and the Kakuno from JStationary. Like XiaoMG I suspect that there may be slight differences in the QC process.