M600 Vs. M800 Nibs

dornblaser

Greetings,

I have a couple of M600's and it has been a long time since I have written with a M800. I was wondering if anyone could compare the nibs of the current M600s and M800s? I was wondering if the 800's are stiffer?

David

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• maverick777

• whych

• dornblaser

Based on my limited experience with 2 M600 nibs (EF and F) and 4 M800 nibs (F and M) I would say the M600 nibs are softer. The M800 is about as soft/stiff as my MB146 but softer than say Edison steel nibs (if you have experience with any of these).

400/600 are semi-nail.....modern after '97 800's are nails.

Buy a light and nimble medium girthed, medium-large 600 and get a '80's-90's 400 true regular flex or a '50-65 400's semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nib for it.

I have a very nice 400n's semi-flex B on my 605. Am now satisfied with the pen.

Rick or Penboard.de could sell you a nib with some life to it for a 600.

There are so many beautiful 600's with that poor; fat blobby semi-nail nib.

Buy the prettiest 600 you like. Sell the nib as unused and use that money plus a bit and get a real nib.

Now that I have a real nib....my'o'my...I can hunt for the pretty 600's. My 2005's blue 605 is rather plain Jane.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 weeks later...

400/600 are semi-nail.....modern after '97 800's are nails.

Buy a light and nimble medium girthed, medium-large 600 and get a '80's-90's 400 true regular flex or a '50-65 400's semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nib for it.

I have a very nice 400n's semi-flex B on my 605. Am now satisfied with the pen.

Rick or Penboard.de could sell you a nib with some life to it for a 600.

There are so many beautiful 600's with that poor; fat blobby semi-nail nib.

Buy the prettiest 600 you like. Sell the nib as unused and use that money plus a bit and get a real nib.

Now that I have a real nib....my'o'my...I can hunt for the pretty 600's. My 2005's blue 605 is rather plain Jane.

I'm new to Pelikan pens and thinking about getting an M805 to complement my M605 that I just got. I'd like a larger/heavier pen for some occasions. So if I were to compare the nib on the M605 to the M805 you're saying that even though the 800 series has a larger nib with 18K gold instead of 14K that the writing experience would still be stiffer with little or 0 give compared to the modern 600 series?

Yes...the 800's a nail...don't matter if it's 18K...I had a 18K Lamy Persona nail...and a nail's a nail even if gold or steel.

The modern 400/600 are semi-nails....even if 14 K.

Now if you were to buy a 14C W.Germany '87-89 800...there you'd get a superb springy regular flex nib; one of the 'great' nibs. And it I don't think, costs more than a brand new 800 nail. :notworthy1: On my list to buy....someday.

My Germany '90-97 400's 14C nib is real good springy regular flex. The '82/3-89 W.Germany 400's nib is reputed to be a tad better. I didn't get one of the W.Germany 400's in a very respectable poster with both told me, not to, in I'd been spoiled by '50's-65 semi-flex and 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nibs, so I'd not be satisfied with the tad of better over my '90's 400....I'd been spoiled.

But if you don't have a 400 that '82/3-89 would be the one to have for a great regular flex nib.

Yes, one needs fine springy regular flex nibs. In M&F they shade well, with a good shading ink.

(They are a bit drier...because of less tine movement....a semi-flex is often a wetter writer.) That depending on the shading ink, makes a difference in shading when writing in cursive.

I favor nibs with a bit more life to them than modern, stiffer, blobbier nibs...made for cross over ball point/roller ball users who don't have three minutes to learn how to write with a fountain pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Yes...the 800's a nail...don't matter if it's 18K...I had a 18K Lamy Persona nail...and a nail's a nail even if gold or steel.

The modern 400/600 are semi-nails....even if 14 K.

Now if you were to buy a 14C W.Germany '87-89 800...there you'd get a superb springy regular flex nib; one of the 'great' nibs. And it I don't think, costs more than a brand new 800 nail. :notworthy1: On my list to buy....someday.

My Germany '90-97 400's 14C nib is real good springy regular flex. The '82/3-89 W.Germany 400's nib is reputed to be a tad better. I didn't get one of the W.Germany 400's in a very respectable poster with both told me, not to, in I'd been spoiled by '50's-65 semi-flex and 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nibs, so I'd not be satisfied with the tad of better over my '90's 400....I'd been spoiled.

But if you don't have a 400 that '82/3-89 would be the one to have for a great regular flex nib.

Yes, one needs fine springy regular flex nibs. In M&F they shade well, with a good shading ink.

(They are a bit drier...because of less tine movement....a semi-flex is often a wetter writer.) That depending on the shading ink, makes a difference in shading when writing in cursive.

I favor nibs with a bit more life to them than modern, stiffer, blobbier nibs...made for cross over ball point/roller ball users who don't have three minutes to learn how to write with a fountain pen.

Will the older 800 or 600 nibs fit on the newer pens? I really like the current look of Pelikan pens over the original design.

Besides different threads...and a longer wider nib, an old chart showed it with it's very own size range....narrower than the regular semi-vintage Sovereign. The semi-vintage 800 was in between the two Waterman sets...one of the Waterman sets was the same size as the Pelikan, the other was Waterman narrow.

In all cases the Pelikans were narrower in EF.