Which Do You Recommend: Pilot Lucina Or The Field?

jmeldorf

Want an old-style thick-bodied yellow fountain pen. Must write very smooth. I'm considering a Pilot Lucina (not at retail price). If you have one, I'd appreciate your opinion between a Lucina and a similar style yellow pen comparably priced.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• chas0039

• rdh

• jmeldorf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Prera has a more modern look, while the Lucina is more classic. The pens are about the same size. The Prera has a very cool slip cap, while the Lucina has a screw cap. Both are steel nibs, but the Lucina has a nice design on its nib and the nib is gold-plated. The feel of the Lucina is a bit more solid. You can tell it is made of a slightly better plastic.

If you aren't certain you want yellow, Pilot made the Ecrino, which can be readily found. It is similar to the Lucina, but more plain and quite a bit cheaper.

I'll try to upload a few comparison pics later this evening.

Dave

Here are a few pictures of the Pilots I was talking about.

post-30860-0-85573600-1413517054_thumb.jpg
The ivory one is the Prera, the red is the Lucina and the blue is the Ecrino.
post-30860-0-34715900-1413517080_thumb.jpg
The nib of the Prera is actually an italic nib from a Plumix. The markings and appearance are identical to the original Fine nib.
post-30860-0-49905000-1413517099_thumb.jpg
Dave

Lucina. There is a world of difference in writing with the Lucina v the Prera. The Lucina is very much like the Custom series pens, but with an excellent steel nib that performs very nearly as well as the 14k nibs. It's a really nice pen, looks a bit like a little Duofold and writes and handled a lot like a CC version of a Pelikan 200.

The Lucina doesn't strike me as a particularly "thick-bodied" pen (see below). But you are certainly right about the price. Some people really try to gouge you when it comes to this pen. I'm not sure why. Another thing about this pen is finding it in all the nib sizes - difficult sometimes. It is a pretty yellow though.

Pilot Luchina:

Jetpens (USA): $82.50 USD, 13 cm long capped, 12 cm uncapped, 14.7 mm posted and has an approximate maximum diameter of 12 mm.

Engeika (Japan): $45.90 USD, Barrel: 14mm, Length: 131m (cap closed), Weight: 13.3g.

P.S. Don't forget the converter. Often the Lucina will come with a CON-20 squeeze converter, but I recommend you get a CON-50 piston converter. The CON-70 is too big. The Gougers will force you to buy a converter regardless.

Edited by Drone

P.S. Don't forget the converter. Often the Lucina will come with a CON-20 squeeze converter, but I recommend you get a CON-50 piston converter. The CON-70 is too big. The Gougers will force you to buy a converter regardless.

They'll only force you to buy a converter if you don't want to use just cartridges. That is a choice.

I'll argue that the CON-20 is a fine converter, and if it comes with the pen there's no reason to get a CON-50 unless you MUST be able to see how much ink is left. The squeeze converter is easier to deal with, IMO, than turning that little screw.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I have a Lucina in red/orange and i think it is one of the better bargains out there. Amazon is just a bit more expensive than Japan + Shipping and there is someone backing you up, although Engeika is great. I also have the Prera and if I had paid the going price rather than the $25 I got it for, I would have felt like I was over charged.

When you say "old style" and yellow, you are just about out of luck with a modern pen, even out of China. There is a Hero 616 in yellow that looks like a Parker 51 and a clear bodied yellow Pelikan M205 that sort of qualifies, and sometimes you can find a Noodler's Ahab in yellow, or a Montgrappa Parola, but other than that, yellow pens are more along the lines of the Lamy Safari. Makes the Lucina all the more sweet.

Edited by chas0039

I've never tried a squeeze converter. May as well. I like diversity in ink, so I'm not much on cartridges except for my Kaweco Classic and Sheaffer VM. Thx, everyone, for your comments.

On pricing, I see some Japanese vendors selling for $49+, shipping included, on Amazon. Any thoughts?

I've never tried a squeeze converter. May as well. I like diversity in ink, so I'm not much on cartridges except for my Kaweco Classic and Sheaffer VM. Thx, everyone, for your comments.

On pricing, I see some Japanese vendors selling for $49+, shipping included, on Amazon. Any thoughts?

Engeika is excellent, but remember shipping is another $13.00.

The con 20 squeeze converter holds quite a bit more ink that the con 50. I also think it is a lot easier to use. The only downside is you can't see how much ink is left.

Dave

Bought mine on Amazon. Often, I can get the Japanese price with free shipping so it is a win/win. Be prepared for slow shipping though.

Never seemed that the CON-20 held any more ink than the CON-50 to me. I loathe squeeze converters, never can seem to fill the consistently, same with any type of sacced pen filling system.

As I mentioned in Post #7 Taizo at Engeika lists them for $46 USD. That's pretty much the best you are goung to do IMO. Shipping is typically via EMS with tracking.

Just for fun: In Post #29 of Tipstricks' review of the Pilot Lucina I just posted the definition, etymology and pronounciation of the word "Lucina". There's also a .wav file attached with a spoken example. The post is here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/34885-pilot-lucina/?do=findComment&comment=3152499

As I mentioned in Post #7 Taizo at Engeika lists them for $46 USD. That's pretty much the best you are goung to do IMO. Shipping is typically via EMS with tracking.

Except Amazon, $49.48, free shipping.

Thank you again, everyone, for your comments and suggestions. I think I have made up my mind. Now if someone can post Santa's email address, I'd be much obliged. :)

I've been told by an eBay vendor that the red / blue / yellow models are now only fitted with a fine nib and a quick look on amazon seems to confirm this. That might be a problem for you if you are looking to get a medium or broad nib. I have a broad nib Lucina and it is finer that my medium CH91 and 74, which I found surprising. However, the Lucina's broad is consistent with western mediums.

I'm not sure Pilot sells just the nibs for this particular model (although I have not checked this out as I am very satisfied with my B - it is super smooth and a joy to write with).

I also have a Prera and the Lucina, is the better pen,as far as I"m concerned.

This is the pen that made me go out and get other, more expensive, Pilot models.

I have sold my Lucina (indeed the bright yellow version) because it was too light, felt really cheap and plasticy, much less solid than the Prera. The writing was ok though. If you're looking for a beefy pen with solid grip, the Lucina would not be my first advice.Also be aware that the yellow only comes with fine nib. I bought mine from Santa via Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A29TQJQ0UEXFK5

Hope the link works