Shawndo Sample Mayhem - De Atramentis - U. S. Constitution - Blue

amberleadavis

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1855.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• islandink

• conib

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1848.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1849.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1854.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1856.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1857.jpg

Two years ago, FPNer Shawndo, purchased a lot of samples including every blue ink Goulet's had to offer.

http://www.shawndo.com/images/content/forum_stuff/ink-samples.jpg

Alas, Shawndo ran out of free inky time. I agreed to do these reviews. So here we are.

Okay... it is waterproof...that makes it much nicer!

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1855w.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1855wb.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1889.jpg

Thank you. Seeing that flotilla of ink samples above, can I ask you to name your favourite ink in each of these categories (and perhaps one line to explain why):

1) black

2) dark moody blue

3) true blue

4) turquoise

5) green

6) brown

7) dark red

8) purple/burgundy

8) a handful of unexpectedly beautiful inks that don't fit into one of the above

Oh no, you're killing me...

Black ... it isn't in the list, but I like Organic Studios Charles Darwin Black and Noodler's Polar Black.

Dark Moodly Blue - For Dark Blue - Noodler's Blue Manhattan; For Dark and Moody, my favorite ink all around, Dromgoole's Blue Steel (Neither of those were samples from Shawndo).

For True Blue - Well, I prefer Purple Blues - Every one should try Bay State Blue. I just tried De Atramentis Sky Blue and really liked it. Let me think on this some more and get back with you.

Turquoise - Midway Blue by Noodler's. Holds up in my fade tests and gives me no grief. Reasonably water restistant.

Green - I love GREENS! Noodler's GI Green, MontBlanc Irish Green, Noodler's eel Green and Penman Emerald are among my favorites. Though, I adore the not available Green Diamond and Green Cashmere by Susemai. If you want a Murky Green, buy MontBlanc Daniel Defoe before it is sold out.

Brown - Diamine Saddle Brown is one of the best performing inks I have ever used, and I just don't like it because it is not rich enough or troubled enough.

Dark Red - Red Cashmere by Susemai is hands down my favorite. If you were a Penman Ruby fan, you want to get a Red Cashmere. Failing that or if you are in Japan, buy Bung Box Tears of a Clown. Great ink. Diamine Red Dragon is a staple.

Purple - Noodler's Purple People Eater ... well, okay, it's just Purple. All around well behaved ink.

Burgundy - I just tried the De Atramentis Wine ink - Saint Laurent - stunning. Look also at the Dark Reds.

You missed the oranges... and I love oranges... but I'll let you ask about them. Short list, Montblanc Ink of Joy I prefer to MB Gandhi.

And handful of inks that should be added: Noodler's Eel - Rattler Red. Not my favorite Red, but one of my favorite inks because it cleans out stains from demonstrators. Noodler's KTC - will out live the cockroaches after Armageddon. Noodler's Ghost Blue is my go to ink for a mixing base. De Atramentis Document inks - CYMK. WOW. Pilot Iro - Yama Budo and Momiji always make me smile. KWZI Iron Gall inks are some of the finest IG inks I've ever used.

I hope it helps you!

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1856c.jpg

For Detailed reviews.... See these pages.

Every ink for which we have a swab and at least one page of a review is up.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a completed Co-Razy view of US Constitution that Amber sent to me along with her sapphire-blue TWSBI 540 fitted with a Pendleton Angel ground on a TWSBI "M" nib:

fpn_1416861657__dea_usconstitution_crvwa

I did a tiny water test: drops on a grid, and a rinse over the "Rinse Away?" done by applying the contents of a 500ml unitary wash bottle filled with (Brita-) filtered tap water. This ink shows excellent water resistance.

The completed CRV prior to the water test can be seen here.

-- Constance

Edited by conib

I think that nib prefers a wetter climate.

You noticed that the blue is much more resistant than expected.

It seems to me that I've read that fountain pens perform better in a wetter climate; so maybe it makes sense that ink flow would generally be heavier in Seattle than in Las Vegas.

But also, I think I probably write more slowly than you do. When I sped it up the output did get lighter and thinner ... but ... well, it wasn't exactly legible anymore. So I didn't try it on the CRV.

I like US Constitution's water resistance very much. I'm planning to order a sample for myself, to test in my wetter pens. You can see that its line was lighter for me in the drier-writing Prera than in the TWSBI, and I do prefer the darker line.

-- Constance

Well, thank you for the CRV!