Possible Solution For The Custom Clips

Well they're not here yet, but they should be here in the end of month. I've been looking for a way to make my own clips, but it has been difficult to do until recently. About a month ago, I accidentally found a 3D printing company called Shapeways. Their service is straight forward and reasonable enough for my budget. The best part is that the order can be made entirely online.
There are excellent free 3D programs available online. I'm using Blender, an excellent program you can get for free! You can download it from their web site. I have had some experience with other 3D programs a decade ago, but leaning Blender took a while because of the interface deference.
A clip is relatively simple shape, so it's not too difficult to make one if you know the basics of using a 3D program (I haven't used 3D program for a decade so took a little while). I'm excited but I don't expect actual products to be as slick as the computer generated images, but hope to get acceptable result.
Unlike plastics, they can't directly print in metal, rather they are printed in special wax then, the traditional way of lost wax casting is used to produce the final form in metal. I ordered in stainless steel, polished gold plated steel, polished nickel plated steel, row brass and row bronze for testing. Total $67.41 include tax and shipping.
I know there are folks who use 3D program to design their pens so those folks should be able to take advantage of it or may be they've already done it. However, folks who doesn't know 3D program has an opportunity too if you are willing to spend time to lean free 3d programs.
So wish me a luck for my 3D printing venture and stay tuned for real clips in a few weeks!

Yoshi

fpn_1413334564__clip_cg.jpg

fpn_1413334612__pen_clip.jpg

Edited by 18111

I can't believe I'm making fountain pens! pen.18111.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Carl Fisher - F3 Pens

• arni

That's awesome! Thank you for sharing your source. If you don't mind me asking....with that total....how many clips did that produce?

I ordered one of each finish total 5 clips. stainless steel $7.16 + Polished gold plated steel $11.16 + polished nickel plated steel $11.16 + row brass $13.72 + raw bronze $13.72 + shipping $4.99 + tax $5.50= total $67.41 Here is a link for available materials and prices.

I wonder whether there might be a market for accomodation clips. So a person could order clipless, but then get a clip that could be added if they changed their mind.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I wonder whether there might be a market for accomodation clips. So a person could order clipless, but then get a clip that could be added if they changed their mind.

I've been thinking same thing for a while, something like a snap on or slip on interchangeable clips. I'll definitely work on such a pen and clips once test clips come out acceptable result.

Edited by 18111

This is a super cool idea. Thank you so much for sharing it. I hope your clips turn out to be fantastic! They sure cost a lot less than having someone else do the 3d work and casting, though I'm glad to have someone doing it for me right now.

I was actually playing with TinkerCad the other day, thinking it would be nice to use something like that for designing pens. Using this kind of software isn't as easy as it looks!

This is a super cool idea. Thank you so much for sharing it. I hope your clips turn out to be fantastic! They sure cost a lot less than having someone else do the 3d work and casting, though I'm glad to have someone doing it for me right now.

I was actually playing with TinkerCad the other day, thinking it would be nice to use something like that for designing pens. Using this kind of software isn't as easy as it looks!

You are lucky to have reliable person to do your clip work. Yes, 3D software is a bit default to lean. Fortunately, I've played many free 3d softwares and used some of them for my job in the passed so it was easier for me to get back on it again.

I wonder whether the company make this awesome pen clip.

attachicon.gifbca3capnib.jpg

That a nice looking clip. I might try modeling similar one after I see the result of my test 3D prints. I see many jewelers make snake rings and earrings.

I would love to see the finished product as well. The price point isn't bad at all for stainless custom work. I've paid almost that for the aftermarket clips.

Carl Fisher - Owner and chief artisan at F3 Pens

https://bio.site/f3pens

The fact that Shapeways also has a European facility also means that there shouldn't be the sort of import duties that I get on gorgeous US pen blanks. I've had 25% import duties & other charges when importing blanks from Bear Tooth Woods - that makes the blanks exceedingly pricy & I wasn't looking to having the same on clips.

Regards,

Richard.

It would also be interesting to hear what error from designed size you get.

Regards,

Richard

Hope acceptable errors...

I would love to see the finished product as well. The price point isn't bad at all for stainless custom work. I've paid almost that for the aftermarket clips.

Sure, I'll post photos when I receive them. I believe that the cast stainless steel will look more grainy than the polished stainless steel clips.

The fact that Shapeways also has a European facility also means that there shouldn't be the sort of import duties that I get on gorgeous US pen blanks. I've had 25% import duties & other charges when importing blanks from Bear Tooth Woods - that makes the blanks exceedingly pricy & I wasn't looking to having the same on clips.

Regards,

Richard.

Good for you Richard! Now, I suspect you will have some fun with them too.

The Shapeways website seems to offer investment casting only for brass and bronze.

Are the steel clips made of a the bronze/steel composite?

According to their material info: 420 Stainless Steel infused with bronze, and has a final composition of approximately 60% steel and 40% bronze.

My dad was a dental technician, and he had a lab in the garage of the family home.

As a teen, I was allowed to do lost-wax casting any time it didn't interfere with his work.

Maybe I should ask Mom if I could have the casting setup.

:bunny01:

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.