• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jakob

• _Stormin_

• Wolverine1

• vondauster

While I have never visited your fair city, even I recognize that your logo is a good representation of your city and club. Plus it is more versatile than the illustration. Which is great for say a pen show or a poster of some sort. But for things like apparel, mugs,caps, bumper stickers and the like yours is better.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Makes me want to join the Seattle Pen Club even though I live in Australia!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Thanks again, everyone!

Very nice and clever design.

I've been trying to come up with one for Steel City Nibs, but haven't really worked it out (I have ideas, I just need to sit down and actually draw them up).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I had an idea for Steel City Nibs in the shower and drew up a rough draft of it:

http://i.imgur.com/hAgXn67.png

That logo with the octopus, while a cool illustration, makes no sense as a pen club logo... Is it a club for pen and marine wildlife enthusiasts? Sure the sound is full of the things, but it's full of salmon, dogfish, and obnoxious cruise ship passengers too.

The space needle nib logo is cool enough that I want a fridge magnet with it to remind me of my old home (moved six months ago).

I'm right there with you, _Stormin_! You know about the obnoxious cruise ship passengers? You really did live in Seattle! :) I'll be sure to let you know if I get any magnets/stickers/etc done up with the logo.

Love that nib and Space Needle logo, very cool! I lived in Seattle briefly and absolutely love that city!

Thanks, slide13! Be sure to come back and visit the city again. :)

Very nice logo.

Keep us informed if ever you will have those Seatle nibs made ;)

Thanks, fountainpagan! I'll be sure to keep you posted on the Seattle nibs.

Its too fabulous for words. Makes me want to joint. Very very clever

Thanks, acolythe! I hope I'm not driving you or anyone else to smoking joints. ;) You're very welcome to join.

Excellent!

Thanks, Tasmith!

While I have never visited your fair city, even I recognize that your logo is a good representation of your city and club. Plus it is more versatile than the illustration. Which is great for say a pen show or a poster of some sort. But for things like apparel, mugs,caps, bumper stickers and the like yours is better.

Thanks, Runnin_Ute! I totally agree.

Makes me want to join the Seattle Pen Club even though I live in Australia!

Greg

Thanks, Greg! You can join in spirit. ;)

thats a killer logo, keep up the good work!

Thanks, balson! I'll try to. ;)

Edited by jakob

I really did. Four years at 8th and Olive before I moved to VA, and thirteen in the city in total. I don't think a day goes by that I don't miss that place immensely. I'm shocked I never stumbled upon the club.

Edited by _Stormin_

Well, I'm not a member of the club -- I emailed George last year asking him to put me on the meeting reminder mailing list but even though I got a confirmation from him somehow it didn't happen, and of course: no reminders = no remembering!

But I have to say that your logo would be without question my choice over Susan Jones' well rendered and interesting drawing.

Yes, "ink from squid" but still it wasn't my first thought when I looked Susan's drawing. I saw first that it was some kind of play on King Kong and the Empire State Building, then I noticed that the King Kong squid was carrying several pens instead of one "Ann Darrow". Finally I saw the subtitle about the ink. Sure, it's great for a tee-shirt -- for a conference or pen show, say -- but it's too busy and there's too much going on for a logo.

Not to mention that Seattle doesn't *have* to imitate NYC -- and certainly not on any kind of ongoing basis! -- we're already our own unique self, thank you very much.

(And now, having expressed an opinion that's not politically correct for the club, I'm sure I'll never make George's reminder list. B) )

-- Constance

Edited by conib

I really did. Four years at 8th and Olive before I moved to VA, and thirteen in the city in total. I don't think a day goes by that I don't miss that place immensely. I'm shocked I never stumbled upon the club.

Hopefully you've been able to find a club in VA!

Well, I'm not a member of the club -- I emailed George last year asking him to put me on the meeting reminder mailing list but even though I got a confirmation from him somehow it didn't happen, and of course: no reminders = no remembering!

But I have to say that your logo would be without question my choice over Susan Jones' well rendered and interesting drawing.

Yes, "ink from squid" but still it wasn't my first thought when I looked Susan's drawing. I saw first that it was some kind of play on King Kong and the Empire State Building, then I noticed that the King Kong squid was carrying several pens instead of one "Ann Darrow". Finally I saw the subtitle about the ink. Sure, it's great for a tee-shirt -- for a conference or pen show, say -- but it's too busy and there's too much going on for a logo.

Not to mention that Seattle doesn't *have* to imitate NYC -- and certainly not on any kind of ongoing basis! -- we're already our own unique self, thank you very much.

(And now, having expressed an opinion that's not politically correct for the club, I'm sure I'll never make George's reminder list. B) )

-- Constance

It takes a little bit of work to get on the mailing list. If you'd like, I can forward the reminder along to you, Constance.

I really like the esthetics of your logo, but I`m not sure if everyone will recognize the icon as a fountain pen nib!

Could be it`s just me. If I were you, I´d show it to people who have nothing (or little) to do with FP`s - see if they`ll recognize it.

The Steel City Nibs logo is really nice (and easily recognizable)

just my 2 cents :)

I like the first one. The second one I don't think works as well because it relies on the greyscale to work. Now, maybe it's because this is what I've been doing for a living for a quarter century, but I've always believed and practiced that a logo that doesn't work in a single color doesn't work.

I really like the esthetics of your logo, but I`m not sure if everyone will recognize the icon as a fountain pen nib!

Could be it`s just me. If I were you, I´d show it to people who have nothing (or little) to do with FP`s - see if they`ll recognize it.

The Steel City Nibs logo is really nice (and easily recognizable)

just my 2 cents :)

Thanks, Polanova! I have tested it on non-FP people, so I know it's recognizable. :)

I like the first one. The second one I don't think works as well because it relies on the greyscale to work. Now, maybe it's because this is what I've been doing for a living for a quarter century, but I've always believed and practiced that a logo that doesn't work in a single color doesn't work.

Thanks, Chad! That's a claim I can't make, because I haven't even lived a quarter of a century yet. I'm newer to the game than you, but I know to make a logo work in a single color. That's why this is a rough draft, and I'm working on changes to the bucket that will make the mark function in a single color. :)

What sort of merch would people like seen made with the logo? Stickers, shirts, something else? I might do some other fountain pen designs.

Edited by jakob