Seattle Pen Club Logo Concept

jakob

I created a logo concept for the Seattle Pen Club, which I regularly attend. I don't think it will get used, but I wanted to share it with the community. I saved older versions of the logo, if anyone is interested in seeing the progression and a glimpse of the creative process.

- Made using Sketch.

- Type set in Sign Painter.

15351937118_da70965250_z.jpg

Seattle Pen Club logo concept in color by jakoblwells, on Flickr

15351393349_2ee9737a8a_z.jpg

Seattle Pen Club logo concept by jakoblwells, on Flickr

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jakob

• _Stormin_

• fountainpagan

• gautampk

Love it. Space Needle as the nib slit is a great idea!

Lamy 2000 - Fine - Diamine Onyx Black

Parker Rialto - Medium - Diamine Onyx Black

Parker Sonnet - M. Italic - Diamine Ruby Red

Waterman Hemisphere - Medium - Diamine Majestic Blue

Parker Frontier, IM | Sheaffer Crest | Noodler's Flex

I like it main well, Nicely done.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I thought "ink rain" but this is perfect!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

That's a great idea well executed. Two thumbs up!

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I created a logo concept for the Seattle Pen Club, which I regularly attend. I don't think it will get used, but I wanted to share it with the community. I saved older versions of the logo, if anyone is interested in seeing the progression and a glimpse of the creative process.

- Made using Sketch.

- Type set in Sign Painter.

15351937118_da70965250_z.jpg

Seattle Pen Club logo concept in color by jakoblwells, on Flickr

15351393349_2ee9737a8a_z.jpg

Seattle Pen Club logo concept by jakoblwells, on Flickr

I think it's a wonderful idea! I don't think you'll have any problem with the Space Needle folks as it is not directly identified. I'm surprised it's not being used as the design, IMHO would probably have wider appeal.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I think it is an inspired thought. Very nice.

One suggestion; you may want to try it without an outline. The white void space would be the color. Either that or thin the outline to a maximum thickness (or thinner) of the vertical part of the Space Needle. I get the feeling the outline is a little overbearing.

One last thought would be to put the nib in a solid circle or other shape—it gets rid of the outline.

Just my two cents.

Edited by foamy

Good heavens that's brilliant. Terrific concept, and nearly perfect execution. I even love the script element of the logo. Well done!

Wonderfull symbol and superb work! If it will be used it might be good idea to print it out in very small size / look it on screen 100px wide to check that the logo is readable. It might be that slightly larger text with lighter font weight would be more usable.

Non notisi signi.

Very good, Jacob, it is a great logo.

Maybe, I will have to contact you and get you to design a logo for our Ann Arbor Pen Posse Group!!!!!!:):)

I think that logo is brilliant...

I also think that if they're not using it, they're fools for passing up on what is easily the best pen club logo I have seen.

Very nice and clever design.

I've been trying to come up with one for Steel City Nibs, but haven't really worked it out (I have ideas, I just need to sit down and actually draw them up).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks everyone! This has been a fantastic ego boost! :)

Love it. Space Needle as the nib slit is a great idea!

Thanks, gautampk! :)

I like it main well, Nicely done.

Thanks, Joe! :) Have you been to the pen club? I'm sorry if I don't remember you—I'm horrible with names.

I thought "ink rain" but this is perfect!

Thanks, pseudo88! That's a cool idea, but difficult to illustrate, especially when it inevitably is set in a single color.

That's a great idea well executed. Two thumbs up!

Thanks, Mrtouth! Much appreciated. :)

Sweet. I like it.

Joe in Seattle

Thanks, jmacak! Is this a different Joe in Seattle? If so, I'm pretty flattered that this is your first post on the FPN.

Ha! I have an idea! :eureka:

We could have actual nibs like this made up for us! I think Bock and JoWo do stuff like that...

That would be really cool! What sort of pens could we put those in? Can we get the right sort of feeds, or just the nibs? Edison? TWSBI?

I think it's a wonderful idea! I don't think you'll have any problem with the Space Needle folks as it is not directly identified. I'm surprised it's not being used as the design, IMHO would probably have wider appeal.

Thanks, Steve! Yeah, the Space Needle has been pretty abstracted in this logo, doesn't use the name “Space Needle,” and bears no close resemblance to the Space Needle logo.

I think it is an inspired thought. Very nice.

One suggestion; you may want to try it without an outline. The white void space would be the color. Either that or thin the outline to a maximum thickness (or thinner) of the vertical part of the Space Needle. I get the feeling the outline is a little overbearing.

One last thought would be to put the nib in a solid circle or other shape—it gets rid of the outline.

Just my two cents.

Thank you very much, foamy! :)

I certainly played with that early on—using negative space to create the Space Needle with the slit and breather hole. Unfortunately I think it makes the logo feel a bit bulky (not enough balance between the dark and the light) and, crucially, makes it less legible at smaller sizes.

http://i.imgur.com/yHS4QpY.png

Good heavens that's brilliant. Terrific concept, and nearly perfect execution. I even love the script element of the logo. Well done!

Thank you, arcScott! Your kind words make me happy. :) I'm glad you appreciate the script I used for the text.

Wonderfull symbol and superb work! If it will be used it might be good idea to print it out in very small size / look it on screen 100px wide to check that the logo is readable. It might be that slightly larger text with lighter font weight would be more usable.

Thank you, j.a.j.! Way ahead of you man—I've been doing test prints and sizing throughout each stage of the process/revisions. This ain't my first rodeo. That's why I get paid the big bucks. :)

Very good, Jacob, it is a great logo.

Maybe, I will have to contact you and get you to design a logo for our Ann Arbor Pen Posse Group!!!!!! :):)

Thank you very much, Wolverine1! And the name's Jakob, mind you. :)

Thumbs up!

Well done.

Will

Thanks, Will! :)

Love the logo - very nicely designed.

Thanks Vgimlet! :)

I think that logo is brilliant...

I also think that if they're not using it, they're fools for passing up on what is easily the best pen club logo I have seen.

Thank you for your kind words, _Stormin_! :) The problem is, I only thought to make a new logo for the club when the talented and kind Susan Jones came up with an idea for the logo (her draft below). Her idea is awesome and I love it and I agree with George, the de facto head of the club, that it will look awesome on a shirt and I'd be glad to volunteer my services in digitizing it to make that happen. But as a person that designs logos, icons, illustrations, and websites for companies/organizations, I feel that I can say this with certainty: it's not a logo—it's an illustration. It is too involved to scale well as a logo and won't function well as a recognizable logo at smaller sizes—especially with any of the discussed additions: “12” on Mr. Octopen; water surrounding the needle; an open, floating ink bottle with one of the pens being dipped in it; and to have drips of ink falling off the nibs, symbolizing Seattle rain. I sent an email to George explaining all of these and sharing some rough drafts of my ideas, but I haven't received a reply in almost a month. So, I fear, I have overstepped some bound or been tactless and insensitive in my attempt to be helpful. :/

http://i.imgur.com/HxAMzJg.jpg

Very nice and clever design.

I've been trying to come up with one for Steel City Nibs, but haven't really worked it out (I have ideas, I just need to sit down and actually draw them up).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks, Ruth! I'd be curious to see your ideas. :)

Edited by jakob

That logo with the octopus, while a cool illustration, makes no sense as a pen club logo... Is it a club for pen and marine wildlife enthusiasts? Sure the sound is full of the things, but it's full of salmon, dogfish, and obnoxious cruise ship passengers too.

The space needle nib logo is cool enough that I want a fridge magnet with it to remind me of my old home (moved six months ago).

Edited by _Stormin_