I Need A Reliable Fountain Pen To Make Me Forgive My Leaking One From 2 Years Ago

marcoh

Alright, so 2 years ago, I really wanted a fountain pen. One that looked great, one that would write smooth and one with gold on it. So I shopped around, came on this exact website, and bought a pen, it's a "Cross", I don't even remember what model at this point.

All I know is that this pen was a mess. It wrote really well, looked like it was worth a thousand dollars, but ever time I opened to pen, since it was not a "screw" top, it kind of did a air pressure difference, which meant that ink went flying. So yeah I ruined a couple of papers, had my hands in class full of ink more often than I would have liked, and finally called it quits and threw it at the bottom of my drawer.

But now I started a new job, as a professional, and I want a fountain pen. I genuinely liked the idea of writing with one, damn I even liked to write with this Cross pen once I cleaned myself up, but now I'm interested in reliability.

That's the only thing I'm concerned about. Really, the only. I have a $400 bag, the pen MUST NOT LEAK in it. Under any circumstances except of a tornado. I'm prepared to put it in a little box or whatever to protect it, but it must not leak by itself. When I open it, it must not leak. AT ALL. No ink can go flying, I shouldn't need to take a towel out every time because there is ink all over the back of the nib. I can't be at clients with my hands full of ink and ruining my suit. I can't start writing and the pen decides that it just doesn't. It needs to work 100% well every single time. Like a good old ticker. (I'm exaggerating, nothing can work perfectly every single time, but it needs to work 99% of the time).

So I want the most reliable pen you guys know. Bonus if it's good looking. Looking for something in the <100$ range. It must be new. I don't want to deal with a faulty pen. Can you guys make me forgive fountain pens?

I've posted this on Reddit, and had a few options:

1. Parker 51: Yes I know it's the best thing to happen on earth since sliced bread, but I don't want to deal with a used pen. I don't have time to repair it and deal with shipping it back if it's not in working condition. Maybe one day, just not right now.

2. Lamy Safari: Some proposed that I start super cheap with a known workhorse and then take it from there to see what I like.

3. TWSBI Classic or 580: They cost about 60-65$ on Goulet Pens for me (shipping included).

4. Platinium 3776 Century: I can get them for 110$ on Ebay. I don't know what it offers over say a TWSBI Classic though.

5. Pilot Custom 74: Same as Platinium 3776 Century, can get them for 110$ on Ebay, and I have no idea how they are better or worse than the TWSBI Classic.

6. Some told me to save up for a Lamy 2000: I'd consider this option only after re-using a fountain pen daily for mutliple months. I don't mind the price if I know I'm going to use it. Chances are after one of the options between 2 and 5 (or one that you guys propose), I'll going to upgrade to that. As of now, I'm just not ready to pay that price.

Do you guys have any other options/opinion?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prf5

• marcoh

• _Stormin_

• Kuscer

In my experience cartridges are a bit safer than convertors when it comes to leaks.

The Cross I had, had developed some kind of fault. - and Cross pens do come with a lifetime guarantee. I managed to send my 12 year old Cross Century 2 back to them and got it fixed (for free). So, one option might be to send your Cross pen back to them and you might be surprised.

The Platinum Pens I've got have been well behaved and I haven't had any leaks as yet, but I've only used them with cartridges. Platinum pens are light, because they are made of some kind of plastic - so if you want a heavier pen, then it will not be any good for you.

Another brand you might want to consider Diplomat. Their pens are all metal and are very well put together and take international cartridges or bottled ink. Certainly I've been impressed with mine.

Something that takes cartridges won't leak. Just buy a brand new pen from any of the big companies (LAMY if you want the modern look, otherwise MB, Pelikan, Pilot, Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer) and it should be fine.

Edited by gautampk

Lamy 2000 - Fine - Diamine Onyx Black

Parker Rialto - Medium - Diamine Onyx Black

Parker Sonnet - M. Italic - Diamine Ruby Red

Waterman Hemisphere - Medium - Diamine Majestic Blue

Parker Frontier, IM | Sheaffer Crest | Noodler's Flex

Lamy Safari is kind of childish for a professional look, IMO. If you really want to go inexpensive (and Lamy) before spending big money on a pen, at least consider an Al-Star (same writing experience, better body material that gives more "grown up" look).

You really can't go wrong with a Pilot. Even their most inexpensive model, the 78G is well known for its excellent performance. (it is plastic, comes with fake gold trim and as a bonus for you it has a screw-on cap). For a more robust, metal pen, consider the Metropolitan. I haven't tried their "higher end" pens but have two of them on their way and I am really confident that I will enjoy them.

TWSBIs are fun, but I think they are not the best choice for someone who just wants a pen to always write and never need any kind of tinkering. I would say hold on until you get addicted to fountain pens. (by experience, I say you will :P)

I am partial to Faber Castell, although I understand their design is just not for everyone. Their nibs are superb, but you definately have to hold the pen to make sure it fits your hand. That said, I am a HUUUUUGE fan of the Emotion. My favorite pen. (unfortunately, it's a bit out of your budget -around $130 I think)

One-word answer: PILOT.

Whichever model you like and can afford.

(perhaps avoid the Prera. the cap is snap-on and is pretty air tight, so chances are that sometimes you will notice droplets of ink inside the cap)

Edited by inotrym

A $400.00 bag? Are you sure you are fountain pen ready? Maybe ballpoints and roller balls are best for you.

I second a Lamy Al-Star. Aluminium body, can be knocked around (albeit less sturdy than the Safari which is made of ABS plastic) and a workhorse.

Alternatively, consider a Pelikan. The Tradition series (ie the M200, M205, M215...) Slightly over $100 I believe. Never had a problem with mine. A daily writer.

~Epic

Edited by Notgatherox
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

If I were in your shoes I would not spend a lot of money on a pen until I felt I could rely on the pen I had.

I have Lamys and Pelikans (200s and 600s) and my pens have never leaked or sprayed. I would get an inexpensive pen to start out. I have a friend who loves her charcoal Lamy Al-Star. And she works in business. I have two Lamys and used them and a Pelikan 250 exclusively and quite happily for 6 years before I bought a more expensive pen.

A $400.00 bag? Are you sure you are fountain pen ready? Maybe ballpoints and roller balls are best for you.

+1, it seems that you want to impress, have a new guaranteed problem free Fountain Pen and still be under $100. I would suggest a Fischer Space Pen, and I am not sarcastic.

I second the the recommendation of anything Pilot. I would not suggest the Lamy Safari or Al-Star unless you are going to use a pen a slip (the cap of my Safari popped off twice in my purse before I bought a pen case).

Anything from Pilot will do the trick.

Consider the Vanishing Point - looks good and nothing to fumble with in front of clients. If you look hard, you can get them just below the $100 budget, shipping included.

Plenty of Pilot offerings way below your price point though - and they'll all work great, in my experience.

I can probably get a pen case?

Lamy Safari is kind of childish for a professional look, IMO. If you really want to go inexpensive (and Lamy) before spending big money on a pen, at least consider an Al-Star (same writing experience, better body material that gives more "grown up" look).

You really can't go wrong with a Pilot. Even their most inexpensive model, the 78G is well known for its excellent performance. (it is plastic, comes with fake gold trim and as a bonus for you it has a screw-on cap). For a more robust, metal pen, consider the Metropolitan. I haven't tried their "higher end" pens but have two of them on their way and I am really confident that I will enjoy them.

TWSBIs are fun, but I think they are not the best choice for someone who just wants a pen to always write and never need any kind of tinkering. I would say hold on until you get addicted to fountain pens. (by experience, I say you will :P)

I am partial to Faber Castell, although I understand their design is just not for everyone. Their nibs are superb, but you definately have to hold the pen to make sure it fits your hand. That said, I am a HUUUUUGE fan of the Emotion. My favorite pen. (unfortunately, it's a bit out of your budget -around $130 I think)

One-word answer: PILOT.

Whichever model you like and can afford.

(perhaps avoid the Prera. the cap is snap-on and is pretty air tight, so chances are that sometimes you will notice droplets of ink inside the cap)

Lamy Al-Star could be a good compromise. I agree that the Safari is kind of childish. I just love the TWSBI look. I've been on Pilot's website and really don't like how they look.

In my experience cartridges are a bit safer than convertors when it comes to leaks.

The Cross I had, had developed some kind of fault. - and Cross pens do come with a lifetime guarantee. I managed to send my 12 year old Cross Century 2 back to them and got it fixed (for free). So, one option might be to send your Cross pen back to them and you might be surprised.

The Platinum Pens I've got have been well behaved and I haven't had any leaks as yet, but I've only used them with cartridges. Platinum pens are light, because they are made of some kind of plastic - so if you want a heavier pen, then it will not be any good for you.

Another brand you might want to consider Diplomat. Their pens are all metal and are very well put together and take international cartridges or bottled ink. Certainly I've been impressed with mine.

Didn't know that! I'll contact them for sure then. Cause really I think it's a problem with the cap, like it takes so much pressure to push it in the correct position that it's impossible not to have a massive pressure difference when I take it out, sending ink flying.

If I were in your shoes I would not spend a lot of money on a pen until I felt I could rely on the pen I had.

I have Lamys and Pelikans (200s and 600s) and my pens have never leaked or sprayed. I would get an inexpensive pen to start out. I have a friend who loves her charcoal Lamy Al-Star. And she works in business. I have two Lamys and used them and a Pelikan 250 exclusively and quite happily for 6 years before I bought a more expensive pen.

Very true. Pelikan is a bit pricey for me. Al-Star is one my favorite candidates.

Anything from Pilot will do the trick.

Consider the Vanishing Point - looks good and nothing to fumble with in front of clients. If you look hard, you can get them just below the $100 budget, shipping included.

Plenty of Pilot offerings way below your price point though - and they'll all work great, in my experience.

Not a big fan of the design of Pilots sadly. I guess it's a matter of personal taste, I just find that they look cheap, at least on picture. They look like pens who try really hard to look like it's worth a fortune but everybody knows that they don't I find.

$400.00 bag and a Pelikan too expensive.

I repeat, maybe you are not ready for fountain pens; stick to ball points and roller balls or invest in zip lock bags and double bag whatever fountain pen you insist on buying. If you also insist on buying a case, put that in baggies too.

$400.00 bag and a Pelikan too expensive.

I repeat, maybe you are not ready for fountain pens; stick to ball points and roller balls or invest in zip lock bags and double bag whatever fountain pen you insist on buying. If you also insist on buying a case, put that in baggies too.

I'm not sure you understand. When I bought the bag, I knew exactly what I wanted, and that I would use it. $400 was money well invested as it has all the features, durability that I want. And I know it won't end up never being used.

A $200 FP is not the same thing. I've had bad experiences in the past in terms of leaks, and I want to make sure I can actually use one day in day out and not get tired of it. Sinking $200 on something that could end up never being used again after a few months is not money well spent.

Thanks for the advice anyways.

Apart from the fact that you shouldn't be too cheapo on a good fountain pen (especially if you can afford it!), the three last options you mentioned I think would work great:

• Platinum 3776 Century: What's the difference with a TWSBI? Really? For starters, the 14k nib is great! The slip and seal cap makes for an airtight seal which will 1) probably minimise leaking 2) basically means your pen won't dry out in a LOOOOOOONG time! So I'd think again about this one!
  • Pilot Custom 74: good looking, both this and the platinum have a more professional appearance compared to the twsbi (no offense to TWSBI), again a japanese nib = good nib, really, pilot too has some great nibs!
  • Lamy 2000: first of all, it will never ever go out of style! Secondly, the gold nib writes great (there are some occasional hiccups, but spend some time and possibly money to get it finetuned by a nibmeister and you have the best writing experience possible in this price range! And really, you'd spend 110$, but 140 for a 2000 is too much?

It's quite a personal choice, though I'm sure anyone will agree that these three are the most valid options for you! And to your latest comment: you're dealing with a fountain pen, so maybe Jar is right... it seems as if you are scared to use an FP, so it might be better to find a nice ballpoint pen or rollerball? Leaking is always a risk with fountain pens, even with very expensive ones!

Dries | The PencilCase Blog | www.pencilcaseblog.com

I dunno about cheap feeling but I have some cheap pens.. like the Muji FP (15USD), Pilot 78G (4USD), and they feel pretty great I have to be honest though the Cocoon isnt for me, next I have the Faber-Castell Ambition in coconut great pen but this wooden pen isnt cheap when I bought it as it easily rivals the Lamy 2000 in terms of price (at least in HK where I bought the Amibtion did I say this was also impulsely bought?) but it's one hell of a wet smooth pen, next is the Custom Heritage 91 black... a very under-stated design of a pen but I just fancy flat top designs sorry Custom 74... pretty much it should cost you as much as a platinum 3776 century or a Sailor Promenade (90USD in japan but I say 100 USD for the fair price in a 100:1 exchange rate) to me I don't judge the pen for it's appearance on screen unless if it was some boring cigar shaped pen... I judge the nib next to it's appearance do they leak... pretty much no I havent seen my pens leak unless I was in a plane. but I also have the Lamy Logo because the Safari design just doesnt sit well with me despite it being a design icon great pen not overly unbalance but the nibs... I would suggest go to a B&M same with the Lamy 2000 IF YOU SO COVET the pen. to me Pelikans... meh... I dunno... I would rather like TWSBIs than a pelikan for my personal preference since I know I can maintain the pen with the set of provided tools given by the company.

I won't suggest you a pen because I have no idea what you really fancy... Bauhaus? the boring cigar, flat tops, filling mechanism, quirky systems. because at the end of it all pens will feel cheap THATS THAT THEY WILL FEEL CHEAP unless your willing to chuck out 1Ks for those jewel works of art... "pens"

Edited by Algester

The Lamy and Pilot are solid choices. If you go with the Safari, the matte black looks less plasticky and cheap than the other options -- it actually looks pretty professional.

I've never had a Lamy or Pilot leak. Of course, carry it about nib-up to be safe, if possible.

Purchase a Parker "51" aerometric filler from a reputable dealer

and write all day in court..office..school et al...without any leaks..whatsoever..they are bulletproof..and {perhaps boring}

utterly reliable..Incidentally..I don't care for sliced white bread {happy smiley face time}..

and I have all the pens you mentioned in your original post..With your new "51"..all you

have to do is fill it and write....Of course this is my personal opinion and your mileage

may/will vary...........................................................................................................................................................

Fred

Que lentement ~ Samuel Beckett

Edited by Freddy