Maybe I'm Too Cheap For This Hobby? Journal Costs!

sirgilbert357

I don't share your opinion that pen-friendly paper is outrageously expensive. One shops around and experiments and finds what one will accept.

My collection of notebooks features most of the less expensive brands and formats already discussed. When I started using fountain pens I did not deliberately seek finer papers, but I did change to using only one side of the paper leaf. Did that double my costs for notebooks? Yes. But that was not significant. Went from about $25/year to $50. The ink bleeds through? Doesn't bother me. Data density is half so everything is easier to find.

Try to enjoy writing. Use your fountain pen. Notebooks, even the stoopid expensive units, are chump change compared to the value of your thoughts and experiences.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• wallylynn

• ac12

• Sailor Kenshin

So, I've never really kept a journal, but I thought it'd be fun to start up since I have a lot more going on in my crazy life, what with kids and trying to finish my degree while working full time...anyway, I've finally got a decent pen (Pelikan M205 in med nib) and have had really wet lines from it no matter what ink I run through it. I've been testing ink samples from Goulet and have many more to go through but all are too wet for basic notebooks and basic "composition" journals so far. I don't want this pen to be a "journal only" pen, so I will continue the search for a good "all around" ink that will allow me to use it on as many kinds of paper as possible, but until then, I'd like to start up a journal with FP friendly paper so I can truly enjoy writing (and write something worth keeping -- cause right now, grocery lists and practicing my cursive on throwaway paper is all I'm using the pen for!).

Here's the thing: journals of FP friendly paper are STOOPID expensive! I mean, 30 bucks for a Tomoe River paper journal? 20 bucks for Rhodia? And they're not even full size sheets (8.5 x 11)! Haven't been reading the most impressive stuff about Moleskine, and haven't priced Clairefontaine, but uh...is there such a thing as a "Poor Man's Journal" for fountain pens? Like at least 150 sheets of full size paper for less than 10 bucks? I'm about to grab a ream of that Staples paper I see people talking about and make my own journal!! LOL. Oh, but I want it with lines on it, cause I can't write a straight paragraph without them!

Help?

IMHO these papers are way overpriced.

I pick up high quality journals and composition books at discount stores for between $1 and $5. Those made in India seem to be the best.

I check each time I'm in one and load up when they have them in stock.

Edited by LWW

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

I use Staples bagasse paper for work, usually stock up during the back to school sales. For my home journal, i use the Everyman's Journal from Lee Valley Tools.http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?p=32477&cat=2,46147&ap=1

It has worked with my fine and extra fine nibs regardless of ink choice. Check the reviews though because some aren't as pleased with the journal as i am.

French

Yeah, I was playing with printing lines on paper last night and it would seem to be a little large for a journal. I'll probably still do it, but I think 7.5 x 9 would be about perfect for me. I write big, so college ruled is too cramped and if I use anything too small, I burn through pages quickly because I'm not fitting as much on a page...I'll keep searching to find a good balance. And I know the right notebook or journal is out there, just gotta find the size I want with compatible paper in it...

My Staples notebooks and filler paper are all wide ruled.

I used to write on college ruled paper, but found that once I learned to write with my arm that I prefer the slightly taller line spacing of the wide ruled paper.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

if you want to make a first investment on ARC notebooks (go to Stapes) you can make your own notebooks and enjoy the process there on. I started using Tomoe River paper loose sheets but now am using copy paper from WalMart that is pretty good for my FPs and you can keep making journals to your heart pleasure. very inexpensive paper available at the start of school season. I don't know if it is still available. The one expensive thing is the punch. I bit the bullet and bought it so i don't have to think about prices anymore.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/PAPERS/WalmartPaper_0160_zpsc19908ef.jpg

I don't share your opinion that pen-friendly paper is outrageously expensive. One shops around and experiments and finds what one will accept.

My collection of notebooks features most of the less expensive brands and formats already discussed. When I started using fountain pens I did not deliberately seek finer papers, but I did change to using only one side of the paper leaf. Did that double my costs for notebooks? Yes. But that was not significant. Went from about $25/year to $50. The ink bleeds through? Doesn't bother me. Data density is half so everything is easier to find.

Try to enjoy writing. Use your fountain pen. Notebooks, even the stoopid expensive units, are chump change compared to the value of your thoughts and experiences.

I mean...I see your point, but if one is on a budget, then 30 bucks for a journal is a bit silly, especially when it has less than 150 pages in it (just my opinion -- I tend to write A LOT and very detailed at that). Especially when I'm starting to find better options with more pages for less than 15 bucks. My thoughts aren't necessarily priceless or anything either...depends on what I'm writing about.

In other news, I went to Staples last night to see what they had to offer. Found a 2 pack of Bic fountain pens in med nib for 5 bucks, which surprised me. Almost grabbed them, but decided not to because of what I found next:

Looking in the journals section, and found a journal that I really liked. Was looking for the ultra cheap Composition books, but, well, they didn't have any that I've seen talked about, so I passed. But what I DID run into was this journal made by the brand Eccolo (with the words "world traveler" in small print under that). Its 8x10, so a bit bigger than I think I'll end up preferring, but I thought it would be good to try out. Its got a faux leather cover that is a soft black with no logo or wording anywhere. The paper is heavy and lined, 256 sheets. Its a cream color and described as "Ivory" on the packaging. Also has a ribbon marker. It was 13.99, and considering I was actually wanting to drop the cash for a TWSBI journal that is so similar, I thought why not try it out? Here's a link in case anyone wants to see it:

http://www.eccololtd...pid=65815&ind=3

It takes fountain pen ink very well with no bleed through from my wettest writing pen. Quite happy...more pages than the TWSBI journal, for less money and available locally to snag another when I need it. Instant gratification! We'll see how it performs and holds up as I get different inks into my pens...and I'll hope they go on sale; these would be a STEAL at 9.99!

Then, I went to Wal-Mart for groceries and lo and behold, I found the Norcom Composition books with the "Made in Brazil" on them. For 88 cents, why not right? Well, they are great! No bleed through with any of my pens so far, and a really smooth texture that my pens just seem to glide across. The paper in these is *quite* different than other composition books I've been running into lately, and they are cheap! Will certainly be picking up more soon...probably tomorrow!

I think I'm set now. And actually a bit relieved I don't have to buy a ream of paper and make my own journals. I might try that in the future, but I just wanted something "turnkey" to get started. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and to those of you who have sent me private messages with suggestions or information. It was all very helpful, and I'll be making a note of all of this info for future reference. It's good to have options!

Miquelrius are fp friendly and work with wet nibs. I have spiralbound A5 and A4 with 120 sheets and recycled paper. It is not glossy so the ink sinks in to the paper. No bleed through.

I mean...I see your point, but if one is on a budget, then 30 bucks for a journal is a bit silly, especially when it has less than 150 pages in it (just my opinion -- I tend to write A LOT and very detailed at that). Especially when I'm starting to find better options with more pages for less than 15 bucks. My thoughts aren't necessarily priceless or anything either...depends on what I'm writing about.

In other news, I went to Staples last night to see what they had to offer. Found a 2 pack of Bic fountain pens in med nib for 5 bucks, which surprised me. Almost grabbed them, but decided not to because of what I found next:

Looking in the journals section, and found a journal that I really liked. Was looking for the ultra cheap Composition books, but, well, they didn't have any that I've seen talked about, so I passed. But what I DID run into was this journal made by the brand Eccolo (with the words "world traveler" in small print under that). Its 8x10, so a bit bigger than I think I'll end up preferring, but I thought it would be good to try out. Its got a faux leather cover that is a soft black with no logo or wording anywhere. The paper is heavy and lined, 256 sheets. Its a cream color and described as "Ivory" on the packaging. Also has a ribbon marker. It was 13.99, and considering I was actually wanting to drop the cash for a TWSBI journal that is so similar, I thought why not try it out? Here's a link in case anyone wants to see it:

http://www.eccololtd...pid=65815&ind=3

It takes fountain pen ink very well with no bleed through from my wettest writing pen. Quite happy...more pages than the TWSBI journal, for less money and available locally to snag another when I need it. Instant gratification! We'll see how it performs and holds up as I get different inks into my pens...and I'll hope they go on sale; these would be a STEAL at 9.99!

Then, I went to Wal-Mart for groceries and lo and behold, I found the Norcom Composition books with the "Made in Brazil" on them. For 88 cents, why not right? Well, they are great! No bleed through with any of my pens so far, and a really smooth texture that my pens just seem to glide across. The paper in these is *quite* different than other composition books I've been running into lately, and they are cheap! Will certainly be picking up more soon...probably tomorrow!

I think I'm set now. And actually a bit relieved I don't have to buy a ream of paper and make my own journals. I might try that in the future, but I just wanted something "turnkey" to get started. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and to those of you who have sent me private messages with suggestions or information. It was all very helpful, and I'll be making a note of all of this info for future reference. It's good to have options!

Great! Even cheaper than the Dollar Tree Indian comp books. But if you ever do stumble into a DT, pick one up just to try, because the paper finish is very different. If you hate it, you can always use them for to-do lists. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I mean...I see your point, but if one is on a budget, then 30 bucks for a journal is a bit silly, especially when it has less than 150 pages in it (just my opinion -- I tend to write A LOT and very detailed at that)....Found a 2 pack of Bic fountain pens in med nib for 5 bucks, which surprised me. Almost grabbed them, but decided not to because of what I found next:...Then, I went to Wal-Mart for groceries and lo and behold, I found the Norcom Composition books with the "Made in Brazil" on them. For 88 cents, why not right? Well, they are great! No bleed through with any of my pens so far, and a really smooth texture that my pens just seem to glide across. The paper in these is *quite* different than other composition books I've been running into lately, and they are cheap! Will certainly be picking up more soon...probably tomorrow!

That is great news. I would bet you are relieved that your quest for the ideal ink is over. I agree with you, that general use paper should not be expensive and fountain pens should not require special paper or high-priced notebooks -- although you can spend lots of money on them if you like.

Warning on the Brazil comp books.

My experience is that the paper in the comp books is not consistent. You may have a good sheet then the next sheet is OK, and the one after that poor. Even on the same sheet, the paper surface can change. I have several Brazil comp books that have just frustrated me, and they are on the pile to give to my nephews for their kids. I use F nibs, so am more sensitive to the paper surface quality than a wider M nib.

www.SFPenShow.com

I use a fine nib and I have found the martha stewart journals from staples to be acceptable. I just purchased 4 of them as they are on closeout for 3 dollars each.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

Warning on the Brazil comp books.

My experience is that the paper in the comp books is not consistent. You may have a good sheet then the next sheet is OK, and the one after that poor. Even on the same sheet, the paper surface can change. I have several Brazil comp books that have just frustrated me, and they are on the pile to give to my nephews for their kids. I use F nibs, so am more sensitive to the paper surface quality than a wider M nib.

Yeah, I noticed this on the back of one page I was writing on...it seemed less smooth a bit more resistant to the ink in one area. Oh well, for 88 cents, I can't complain.

I have a new idea that I may just mess around with this Thursday (I took a day off). Since I feel like 7.5 by 9 would be an ideal journal size, why not get some 11 x 15 copy paper and fold it in half and then use a guillotine to lop off the two inches I don't want from the height? Then I can mess around with how to bind them. My lack of free time is incredibly frustrating. I barely have time to WRITE in a journal, let alone, MAKE one...ugh.

Don't chop your fingers off, those things can be lethal!

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Yeah, I noticed this on the back of one page I was writing on...it seemed less smooth a bit more resistant to the ink in one area. Oh well, for 88 cents, I can't complain.

I have a new idea that I may just mess around with this Thursday (I took a day off). Since I feel like 7.5 by 9 would be an ideal journal size, why not get some 11 x 15 copy paper and fold it in half and then use a guillotine to lop off the two inches I don't want from the height? Then I can mess around with how to bind them. My lack of free time is incredibly frustrating. I barely have time to WRITE in a journal, let alone, MAKE one...ugh.

Take the paper to a printer, ask him to cut the paper into the 7.5x9 size you want and spiral or Velo bind the paper for you.

www.SFPenShow.com

Don't chop your fingers off, those things can be lethal!

Seriously...But the more I think about it, the less I think it will work...

Was going to get like 6 sheets of paper and fold them in half. Then staple them in two places along their "spine", and do this until it seems like it'd be too thick to bind. I was looking for about 180 pages or so. Anyway, then I'd get some cloth to bind them with and have a go at binding it the traditional way. Really the only thing I think I'd be doing different is stapling the...uh, signatures? (is that what they're called?) instead of sewing them. This is really just in an effort to speed up the production and minimize the extra materials I'll have to buy to complete one journal. I'm starting to think I should just enjoy my pens in the two journals I have and focus on the ink samples I have so I can narrow down which inks I want to buy a full bottle of. It will likely take me a LONG time to fill up both of the journals I have right now...and I'd rather not skip around and write in a different one every day...that'd just make it impossible to follow if I wanted to re-read it all later...

This hobby has too many different fun facets!!! AAHHHRGGH, can't concentrate on any ONE thing, LOL.

Take the paper to a printer, ask him to cut the paper into the 7.5x9 size you want and spiral or Velo bind the paper for you.

Well, yeah, I could always do that too...but I think it'd be fun making my own. I really want to do it myself. I'm just frustrated by my lack of time, not so much in not having a journal...I now have three things to write in (a no-name one from Barnes and Noble that I got YEARS ago and just never wrote in -- really doesn't like FP ink though, I've been using a Waterman with G2 refills and its been very nice), the new Eccolo journal I picked up from Staples this weekend, and a Norcom comp notebook.

So, realistically, I'm good for a long time. I also have spiral bound notebooks that I can sort of use, but there's a lot of bleed through and feathering...so yeah.

I just want to MAKE one!

Oh, and lets not forget that I have leather and a pattern made up to sew my own 6 pen roll up case and I still haven't started that because I need an awl to do it (my wife's sewing machine might break if I try to do leather on it). So, yeah, I think I dove in head first and I probably need to just slow down and enjoy what I have, pick an ink or two to buy full bottles of and then maybe I can start on the roll up leather pen case. I have enough leather to do four of them, so I was planning to do a write up of my adventures making them and then possibly give one away in the PIF thread...

I use the large (200 sheets / 400 pages) clairefontaine age bag notebooks you can pick up for £5 in the uk. Writing daily they last 2-3 months. I've got an old a5 fake leather cover which they slip into to make the writing experience all the more luxurious, then once the notebook is full just start a new one in te same cover. Works for me...

Favourite Owned Pen - Lamy Studio, Brushed Steel with either a 1.1mm italic or Black F nib

Favourite Inks - Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Noodlers Bad Blue Heron, Sheaffer Skrip Red

"Planned" (!) Purchases - TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue, Esterbrook J, Sheaffer Prelude, Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point, Pilot Falcon

I think most of you write much more than I do. I guess I just don't feel like writing about EACH day...and sometimes I really, really want to write or even just practice my cursive, but I just don't have the time...maybe that will change one day.