Maybe I'm Too Cheap For This Hobby? Journal Costs!

sirgilbert357

So, I've never really kept a journal, but I thought it'd be fun to start up since I have a lot more going on in my crazy life, what with kids and trying to finish my degree while working full time...anyway, I've finally got a decent pen (Pelikan M205 in med nib) and have had really wet lines from it no matter what ink I run through it. I've been testing ink samples from Goulet and have many more to go through but all are too wet for basic notebooks and basic "composition" journals so far. I don't want this pen to be a "journal only" pen, so I will continue the search for a good "all around" ink that will allow me to use it on as many kinds of paper as possible, but until then, I'd like to start up a journal with FP friendly paper so I can truly enjoy writing (and write something worth keeping -- cause right now, grocery lists and practicing my cursive on throwaway paper is all I'm using the pen for!).

Here's the thing: journals of FP friendly paper are STOOPID expensive! I mean, 30 bucks for a Tomoe River paper journal? 20 bucks for Rhodia? And they're not even full size sheets (8.5 x 11)! Haven't been reading the most impressive stuff about Moleskine, and haven't priced Clairefontaine, but uh...is there such a thing as a "Poor Man's Journal" for fountain pens? Like at least 150 sheets of full size paper for less than 10 bucks? I'm about to grab a ream of that Staples paper I see people talking about and make my own journal!! LOL. Oh, but I want it with lines on it, cause I can't write a straight paragraph without them!

Help?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• wallylynn

• ac12

• Sailor Kenshin

I have had some luck with Ecolo journals, you can find those at stapples and sometimes at places like Marshalls. However they are NOT very consistent so you will have to try a couple of them (which would add to the cost).

There is another brand (black & red or red & black) that are supposed to be middle of the road and not terribly expensive, you can find those at stapples too.

PIcadilly notebooks from Barnes and Noble have worked for me before, but I have heard some pople having bad experiences with those.

If you are considering loose leaf paper, you can find a line or dot grid template and you can print it at home.

One more thing to consider is to get a fine nib.

If you can find these in the 100gsm weight and NOT the 90gsm you will be well pleased. The 7"X10" would suit your needs I believe. Even if you buy the plain paper you can always use a simple guide sheet underneath. Good Luck!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/274644-tj-maxx-needle-in-a-haystack-find/

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Black and Red journals are priced right and seem to do well with fountain pen ink.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I'm comfortable with making my own journals when I find smooth paper. An EF point, and I'll be ok even if it isn't top quality :)

http://vladsandrini.com/i/mysig.png

vladsandrini.com

So, I've never really kept a journal, but I thought it'd be fun to start up since I have a lot more going on in my crazy life, what with kids and trying to finish my degree while working full time...anyway, I've finally got a decent pen (Pelikan M205 in med nib) and have had really wet lines from it no matter what ink I run through it. I've been testing ink samples from Goulet and have many more to go through but all are too wet for basic notebooks and basic "composition" journals so far. I don't want this pen to be a "journal only" pen, so I will continue the search for a good "all around" ink that will allow me to use it on as many kinds of paper as possible, but until then, I'd like to start up a journal with FP friendly paper so I can truly enjoy writing (and write something worth keeping -- cause right now, grocery lists and practicing my cursive on throwaway paper is all I'm using the pen for!).

Here's the thing: journals of FP friendly paper are STOOPID expensive! I mean, 30 bucks for a Tomoe River paper journal? 20 bucks for Rhodia? And they're not even full size sheets (8.5 x 11)! Haven't been reading the most impressive stuff about Moleskine, and haven't priced Clairefontaine, but uh...is there such a thing as a "Poor Man's Journal" for fountain pens? Like at least 150 sheets of full size paper for less than 10 bucks? I'm about to grab a ream of that Staples paper I see people talking about and make my own journal!! LOL. Oh, but I want it with lines on it, cause I can't write a straight paragraph without them!

Help?

If you'd be content with a comp notebook, you can get them with Indian paper at Dollar Tree. Unique, but almost always takes fountain pens well.

Comp notebooks with Brazilian paper have done well for people.

Then there's Staples Bagasse, which I love for the tan lines.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If you'd be content with a comp notebook, you can get them with Indian paper at Dollar Tree. Unique, but almost always takes fountain pens well.

Comp notebooks with Brazilian paper have done well for people.

Then there's Staples Bagasse, which I love for the tan lines.

Thanks, I will check into those options. And thanks to those that shared links to templates. I guess I'll hit up a Staples to get that copier paper that I saw mentioned as being FP friendly and print some ruled pages to play with.

Please continue to give options if anyone knows of more. Need a Plan B in case I suck at creating journals (I have no idea how to do the binding, LOL).

I'm comfortable with making my own journals when I find smooth paper. An EF point, and I'll be ok even if it isn't top quality :)

I'm on my phone and can certainly search later for in-depth instructions, but: how do you make the covers and the binding?

I'm on my phone and can certainly search later for in-depth instructions, but: how do you make the covers and the binding?

Depends on the style you want. Tmlee has some great stuff on hardbound, Coptic stitch journals, and youtube is packed with simple longstitch binding methods I use for my tooled leather covers.

I am not sure it is available in the US but Oxford Optik is much cheaper then Rhodia, it`s 90 gsm, very fp friendly and, the reason I don`t use is as standard paper, extremely white.

I am not sure it is available in the US but Oxford Optik is much cheaper then Rhodia, it`s 90 gsm, very fp friendly and, the reason I don`t use is as standard paper, extremely white.

Is it being too white just a preference or is there something else about that quality that conflicts with FP usage?

Depends on the style you want. Tmlee has some great stuff on hardbound, Coptic stitch journals, and youtube is packed with simple longstitch binding methods I use for my tooled leather covers.

TMLee has...stuff for sale? Or tutorials? I'll hit up youtube later too...

TMLee has...stuff for sale? Or tutorials? I'll hit up youtube later too...

Is his thread on handmade journals, toward the beginning of the thread, there are lots of questions, answers, etc. I'd be willing to bet he'd answer questions about that style of binding and point you towards suppliers.

He does make them for sale as well. In my dealings with him, though limited, he's very easy to talk to and answered my questions.

Black and Red

Or what I do, I go to Staples "back to school sale" and get the single subject wire bound MADE IN BRAZIL notebooks.

This past back to school sale, they were 17 cents each, and I bought 30 of them. So I don't have to worry about how much I write.

Not as fancy as a cloth cover bound journal, but for me just as good.

The paper is not high quality, but it is adequate for FP use, which is why I specified BRAZIL notebooks. The paper in notebooks from other countries are not as FP friendly, to JUNK.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Apica.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Black and Red

Or what I do, I go to Staples "back to school sale" and get the single subject wire bound MADE IN BRAZIL notebooks.

This past back to school sale, they were 17 cents each, and I bought 30 of them. So I don't have to worry about how much I write.

Not as fancy as a cloth cover bound journal, but for me just as good.

The paper is not high quality, but it is adequate for FP use, which is why I specified BRAZIL notebooks. The paper in notebooks from other countries are not as FP friendly, to JUNK.

I use that for school. Good stuff. :)

OP, you can always just get a ream of paper, print whatever lines/template you want, and then have Staples/FedEx Office/print shop bind it for you. Quick and it won't break the bank, if you don't want to put the journal together yourself.

Another way to look at it, for the price of a nice dinner you can buy a nice journal. The dinner lasts but a day and the journal will be with you for the whole year.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I use that for school. Good stuff. :)

OP, you can always just get a ream of paper, print whatever lines/template you want, and then have Staples/FedEx Office/print shop bind it for you. Quick and it won't break the bank, if you don't want to put the journal together yourself.

Wow, didn't know that...hmmm, good to know. I'll look into that.

Another way to look at it, for the price of a nice dinner you can buy a nice journal. The dinner lasts but a day and the journal will be with you for the whole year.

True, but I don't have anything earth shattering to write that I'd want to keep forever. I think these will eventually just get thrown out, not sure yet. I have one very nice journal I bought at Barnes & Noble a long time ago. Its paper is high quality, but FP ink tends to sit on top and it smears. So I'll write in it using my RB Waterman. After that, don't know what I'll do...