268 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 0-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+
  2. 2. How many fountain pens do you carry at a time?

• 0-1
    • 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6+
  3. 3. What is the price range of the fountain pen you like to use the most?

• under $20
    • $20 - $39
    • $40 - $59
    • $60 - $79
    • $80 - $99
    • $100+
  4. 4. What brand of fountain pen do you like to use the most?

• Sheaffer
    • Parker/ Waterman
    • Lamy/ TWSBI
    • Custom fountain pens
    • Chinese brand (Baoer, Jinhao, etc)
    • Other (Specify)
  5. 5. Why do you use your fountain pen? (Choose All that apply)

• Job purposes
    • School
    • Injury
    • Its aesthetic appeal
    • Ink colours
    • Other (Please Specify)
  6. 6. How often do you use your fountain pen?

• Every day
    • Every few days
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely (specify)
  7. 7. How often do you use a pen other than a fountain pen?

• Every day
    • Every few days
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely

8/10

I love the feel of a nib gliding over paper but am less enthusiastic about cleaning them. The fact that I can't (won't) trust certain otherwise nice people with my favourite pen is also disappointing. The cheapie that I do lend out always gets held upside down or sideways and/or dropped.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chiyoko

• A144

• tleek

• Art

I'd say a 9/10.

I voted "other" for "What brand of FP do you use the most?" Mainly because I didn't like the choices. TWSBI would be my brand of choice for EDC, but I almost never carry a Lamy. Don't know why they're grouped together. Also, options for Japanese companies would be nice, or at least one option for the Big 3. Pilot is probably my second most carried brand.

The main reason I use FPs is for the ink choices. I never fill the same color twice in a row (except in my BSB exclusive pens), and try not to carry two similar colors at a time. However, using FPs has helped with hand cramps when writing for longer periods of time.

So many inks, so little time...

9/10

I can say that Montblanc is my brand of choice, but just because I have a few of their pens and they're almost always in my rotation. I have a new Nakaya that is going to lead to more Nakayas, but the wait for them is just crazy.

For enjoyment I would say an 8, enjoy paying more attention to the written word, but at my job there are occasions when I cannot use them so I don't feel they are indispensable.

I usually carry 2 - one fine nib for proofing and a medium nib for note-taking and correspondence. I am new to the hobby but find myself drawn to the Japanese brands (Sailor, Pilot) for their no-nonsense styling and great writing characteristics. I also have a Lamy 2000 that I like a lot. I also would love to get a Nakaya before too long.

Best of luck with your project.

Two pens max, everyday use for business, correspondance and quick notes more than 100$ of worth, I often use my sheaffer valiant triumphs

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Favorite Brand: Pilot

Enjoyment: 9/10. Higher price of fountain pens mean that I need to be more careful about leaving the house with them. Sometimes I long for the days when I'd pick up a random Bic and just start writing. But then I start writing with a fountain pen and all is forgiven :)

Some elaborations:

Q2. Although I usually carry 4 FPs (one in my pocket and 3 in the bag), sometimes I do carry less.

Q3. Most of the FPs I like writing with, are $100+; but there are couple - a vintage Conway Stewart with stub nib and a Pelikan 25 with OBBB nib - which I really like and both costed me $40 each.

Q4. I voted for others but it's actually Waterman and for others it is Mabie Todd - both vintage.

Q5. I voted for, job purposes, aesthetic appeal (especially true for vintage ornate pens), ink colours and others. Others will be the line width variation and shading. Good nibs, especially stub, italic and flex, impart a character to my writing because of the line width variation, which I enjoy and which is not possible with a ball point or rollerball pen (or for that matter, stiff nibbed FPs). The flex nibs also got me to try out calligraphy, so calligraphy is another option that I would've ticked.

Edit: I completely missed the rating thing in the OP. That will be 10.

Edited by souro

What happened to the Japanese pens? Man, I <3 PILOT. How about over 9000? (I mean 10.)

I use FPs because I use so little pressure that with a Bic stick nothing will come out.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

10! What I love most about fountain pens is their ease of use -- just touch a nib to paper to get writing. With ballpoints and even rollerballs, I tend to press harder on the paper. Hand fatigue becomes an issue with ballpoints and rollerballs, especially if writing for long periods. Not so with fountain pens; fatigue is not an issue!

Best Wishes,

Chris

I had to sign 25 letters today--it's very easy with a fountain pen.

An 8 as I'm not one to get too excited about anything and sometimes I want to use a different kind of pen, usually a brush pen or technical pen.

I don't really 'follow' brands but my favourite pens are a Geha Schulfüller, Kaweco 11, and Pelikan M200.

Usually I have about two fountain pens on me; one for work duty, one for writing during my break. The number of pens goes up to four if I include the Jotter and Pentel marker I also carry with me.

Why do I use fountain pens? I've always been a pen geek to point of being picky about what I use, I like to find the tools that work best for me. My job can be physically demanding and when filling out forms afterwards I prefer to use a fountain pen for comfort. The design of fountain pens is also appealing to me and I like that there is so much variety when it comes to ink colours.

What brand of fountain pen do you like to use the most?

I chose "other".

That would be Esterbrook.

Why do you use your fountain pen?

I selected all options (excluding "injury"), and also "other". My "other" reasons are:

• The ease of use and convenience of fountain pens. They require far less effort to write with.
  • Environmental friendliness. Unlike ballpoint pens, I don't need to throw away metals and plastic into the garbage when I need to refill my pen.

Also, please comment below how much you enjoy using a fountain pen on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the least, 10 being "I freaking love them!"

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Venemo

10/10 unless, I can't use my personal stash of Clairefontaine/Rhodia. Almost no other paper can withstand my current favorite, a Sheaffer 7-30 with a stub that writes like a veritable fire hose. Granted, for a college student, this does become a rather expensive hobby, even put next to things like cycling (high end bike parts get expensive, fast!)

Calculating.

What is the price range of the fountain pen you like to use the most?

Varies, I carry sometimes a £10 pen and £60 pen.

Why do you use your fountain pen?

Fountain pens are more comfortable and fun to use.

OTHER = Pilot

I love the ritual as well as the ease that other people have mentioned. My hand was starting to get real ham-fisted after writing with such pressure for so long.

I love cleaning pens and choosing what will go in them next and thinking about the ideal pen for the task at hand.

Oh, and the search for the perfect pen. :)

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill