268 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 0-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+
  2. 2. How many fountain pens do you carry at a time?

• 0-1
    • 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6+
  3. 3. What is the price range of the fountain pen you like to use the most?

• under $20
    • $20 - $39
    • $40 - $59
    • $60 - $79
    • $80 - $99
    • $100+
  4. 4. What brand of fountain pen do you like to use the most?

• Sheaffer
    • Parker/ Waterman
    • Lamy/ TWSBI
    • Custom fountain pens
    • Chinese brand (Baoer, Jinhao, etc)
    • Other (Specify)
  5. 5. Why do you use your fountain pen? (Choose All that apply)

• Job purposes
    • School
    • Injury
    • Its aesthetic appeal
    • Ink colours
    • Other (Please Specify)
  6. 6. How often do you use your fountain pen?

• Every day
    • Every few days
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely (specify)
  7. 7. How often do you use a pen other than a fountain pen?

• Every day
    • Every few days
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely

I more like owning than using as I don't tend to do a lot of writing on a daily basis.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chiyoko

• kestrel

• Pickwick

• Mezzie

Pelikan

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Brands I use most: Lamy, Pelikan, Dupont.

So the price range is generally under $40 or over $100.

Hmmm... I really should fill that $60-$100 void! :P

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Other pens - Mont Blanc, Danitrio, Visconti

I would rate my fondness for fountain pens at a 9.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I use my pens all day now that school is back in session. I am a History major so lots and lots of wordy notes. I am really glad I got into fountain pens, they make the note taking process a lot more enjoyable for me.

I take two fountain pens with me to school in the pen slots in my messenger bag, as well as a ballpoint parker jotter, and highlighter and pencil just in case. I do not highlight during lecture but afterwards. I like to have a highlighter with me in case I want to study at a cafe or somewhere other than my apartment after class. I have a Nock lookout on the way as well as a aston sleeve so I will be taking three pens with me pretty soon. 2 with black or blue for taking notes, and one with a brighter ink for making markings on notes, printed pages etc.

I usually take my Lamy Safari and Pilot Metro with me and use the Safari the most so I chose the 20-39 dollar bracket there. Of course I like to rotate, but those are what I have been using lately. But, the pen that I most like use, rather than the pen I like to use most often, is my brand new Lamy 2000. It will live in the Aston sleeve and probably never come to class with me, at least anytime soon, although it has been getting used at home daily since I purchased it.

Aloha Amyj,

Thanks for the thought provoking topic! Regarding your query about rating enjoyment using FP's, I score a big, fat 10, though it is kind of hard for me to articulate.

When I pick up and use a FP, my brain kicks into a different frame of mind, (no pun intended). Instead of just jotting down what I have to, my brain kicks into "thoughtful" mode, allowing me ruminating through the attic of my thoughts as I uncap my pen, smooth the sheet of paper, check the ink level, wipe the nib....of course, this all occurs in mere seconds, but it is this mental pause that sets my mind thinking, kind of like taking mental reps in practice so when you actually execute the motion, it is as if you had already done it before.

You would think this would be the same regardless if I was using a BP/RB/Gel, but for some reason, this is not the case. Don't know why, it just isn't.

Kestrel, I too concur with your observation. We are all part of the dust particles of history, and holding an instument through which someone's hopes, dreams, sorrow and joy flowed through liquid thoughts of lives past, brings pause and reflection whenever I use one of my vintage pens.

Thanks again Amyj for the opportunity for reflection.

Nobody else mentioned the satisfaction of using an antique pen because of its history. There is something extremely satisfying about using a pen that has been around for more than a century (last night I wrote with a Conklin S3 Crescent, the same model used by Mark Twain) or has a known history (I own and occasionally use Elmer Walzer's red Senior Duofold). I like the ritual of cleaning and filling and selecting which ink to use. All this makes me want to write every day.

Brand I like to use the most: Platinum - I carry preppies around all day every day (if I lose one, I won't cry) - and they're not terrible - they're very pleasant to use. I have a more expensive Platinum at home that is really nice to use too.

how much I like fountain pens : 9 (they are not a hassle free writing tool, but are worth the maintenance, inky fingers and need for decent paper)

other brands: Danitrio, Bexley, Noodler's

Personal favourite brands: Pelikan / Pilot

Additional reason for using: For the smoothest writing experience.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

Other brand, Pilot. I can't believe that wasn't one of your choices. ;)

Why do I use my fountain pens? Other. They're so much more pleasant to write with than rollerballs or ballpoints.

Oh, put me down as an 8. I don't get all that enthusiastic over anything.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

How much do I like fountain pens? 7 - 10 (Ranging from raging at the stupid Ahab I'd misaligned, to complete satisfaction in the moment writing with a really good pen on really good paper. More days of 10s than 7s by far.)

Favorite pen: Edison Collier, EF. (Today, anyway, just got it back from Brian fixing a minor issue with its section. Favorititism varies with the phase of the moon and which Pilot/Twsbi/Pelikan/Lamy has captured my fancy on any given day. Generally switches between a Pilot Custom 823 F, Twsbi Vac 700 EF, Lamy 2000 EF, a Pelikan M205 with a Binder 0.9 Italifine nib, a Kaweco Lilliput EF, and the Collier.)

The L2K goes with me clipped to a Midori Traveler's notebook most of the time away from home, all else is variable. Any of them give me surcease from hand strain compared to other non-pencil writing implements.

There's nothing like a nib gliding across a page - that's got to be a 10/10.

As for brand? Well, until recently I'd have said Parker - I can't imagine not having a 51 and/or a 45 somewhere within reach - but I've been getting more interested in Indian-made ebonite pens of late: Gama and Ratnamson. I'm very drawn to Pilot, too.

I've set my ebonite pens to write dry, so I can use them on reporter's notebooks at work. I'm in communications, and I do jot a lot down every day, even if I don't sit down and write letters to people.

Edited by Duke of Buckingham

“Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” Oscar Wilde.

I'd rate my enjoyment at a 9, because sometimes the fiddling gats in the way of the writing.

For my Why? Other: comfort, mostly. For me, writing with a fountain pen is easier than writing with a ballpoint.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

9.5 as nothing is perfect.

I use FPs daily for work, and have a desk drawer with several brands on a rotating basis.

Good luck on your assignment.

gary

My 'other' brand I like to use could be a long list! Currently the Markiaro Starfish has replaced the old faithful Sheaffer prelude as my daily workhorse, but I use the Conklin's a fair bit, some Pilot's and a pile of Jinhao's/Baoer's/Dukes etc (on a very regular basis)

The other reasons for using a fountain pen are; I find it more comfortable than a biro or ballpoint, habit that was formed fairly early in childhood and the sheer pleasure of writing with it. I know that seems a bit vague, but I get enormous pleasure from ink streaming out and slowly drying. Sounds a bit mad really!

Brand: Pilot

Why do I use fountain pens? For the tactile experience of a fine writing tool gliding over the page on a fine layer of ink. Also for the beauty of handwritten words.