268 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 0-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+
  2. 2. How many fountain pens do you carry at a time?

• 0-1
    • 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6+
  3. 3. What is the price range of the fountain pen you like to use the most?

• under $20
    • $20 - $39
    • $40 - $59
    • $60 - $79
    • $80 - $99
    • $100+
  4. 4. What brand of fountain pen do you like to use the most?

• Sheaffer
    • Parker/ Waterman
    • Lamy/ TWSBI
    • Custom fountain pens
    • Chinese brand (Baoer, Jinhao, etc)
    • Other (Specify)
  5. 5. Why do you use your fountain pen? (Choose All that apply)

• Job purposes
    • School
    • Injury
    • Its aesthetic appeal
    • Ink colours
    • Other (Please Specify)
  6. 6. How often do you use your fountain pen?

• Every day
    • Every few days
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely (specify)
  7. 7. How often do you use a pen other than a fountain pen?

• Every day
    • Every few days
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely

Hello all!

I am doing an assignment in school and I needed to gather some data. If you can spend a few minutes answering these questions I would REALLY appreciate it! :D

Thank you! and have a nice day :)

(Also, please comment below how much you enjoy using a fountain pen on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the least, 10 being "I freaking love them!")

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chiyoko

• A144

• tleek

• Art

10! What I love most about fountain pens is their ease of use -- just touch a nib to paper to get writing. With ballpoints and even rollerballs, I tend to press harder on the paper. Hand fatigue becomes an issue with ballpoints and rollerballs, especially if writing for long periods. Not so with fountain pens; fatigue is not an issue!

Best Wishes,

Chris

I was growing up before the age of the ballpoint pen. Dip pens were second nature to me, my Mother used one, along with a fountain pen when she found one handy writing one of her letters to my Dad who was serving in the Air Force during World War Two.

I have to confess, when the Ballpoint pen became a reliable writing instrument, I succumbed and bought a Parker ballpoint which served me well for many years using up numerous refills writing letters. It wasn't until a cousin of my wife's died four years ago aged eighty seven and found a collection of Waterman, Sheaffer and Esterbrooks from the 30s and 40s in a desk drawer.

All these pens required ink sacs, researching the internet to find out if I might find some stumbled on FPN. I was astonished to see so much enthusiasm for a writing instrument I took so much for granted.

The main pen I write with is an Esterbrook Dollar pen, along with an Esterbrook Dipless replete with its inkwell, and occasionally dip pens.

My nostalgia is complete!

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

love rating: 8 - I like them, but life is not hassle-free with them: maintenance, cleaning, spilling ink, inky fingers, arguing with the wife about the next one... (pen, not wife).

brand: other (Japanese, vintage)

why use: feels better, less strain and pain

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

to Quote Billy Bob from Varsity Blues "A 10... A 10... A @%ing 10!!"

I agree with ChrisPaul, writing with a ballpoint, and to a lesser degree roller ball, is like a chore. With a fountain pen, all i do is steer the nib, the weight of the pen does the real work. Add to that the nostalgia and the style of fountain pens and you've got a winner. My pens are as much an accessory as my watch and cuff links.

brand : recently Montblanc

why use : makes me feel good

ParkerNT

Edited by ParkerNT

I had a day or two off fountain pens as I went the digital way with a Palm PDA. I never could manage a ballpoint having been raised on dip pens and then a Burnham fountain followed by a series of Parkers. I had an affair with a rollar ball and moved to a pencil for writing in my filofax as the paper went thinner and thinner so no use with a fountain pen. But always there has been a fountain pen, or two such as Waterman and then rotring. I retired all but the rotring and am back with a blast. I recieved a gift of a Kaweco AL Sports which I carry all the time with its sister pencil, I now have a desk full of fountain pens and am exploring inks and paper as I love to write with them, so a 10 'A star' from me.

I rather enjoy all of the maintenance associated with fountain pens. In this age of NOT teaching cursive writing to school children, I think continuing some of the *old* ways is best. Writing is the art of putting feelings and information on paper permanently. Typing is just sharing information...no art to it. The art will soon be lost if not perpetuated.

Good luck with your assignment!

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

I'd rate fountain pens as 9.

It really isn't the fault of the FP's that they don't get the last point. If the world in general were more FP friendly, a definite 10. But, I have to deal with carbon copy forms, glossy surfaces, cheap paper that likes ink to bleed through, and other non FP-friendly things. I avoid writing with anything else as much as I can, but it is often unqavoidable.

"Over the Mountain

Of the Moon

Down the Valley of the Shadow

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied,

"If you seek for Eldorado." - E. A. Poe

I use fountain pens everyday but do not carry them with me as I'm retired. Most days I use about 12 different pens.

I'm an 8, since my ink somehow seems to always end up on my hands at the most inopportune times, and my desk, and maybe my kitchen table, and clothes...Plus the cleaning of them every time I want to switch inks (which is often) is a chore... But I still love them so!

As for the "other" reason why I use fountain pens, my wrist starts to hurt after about a paragraph or two of writing with a ballpoint. I believe it's the pressure required to use them. Fountain pens gliding across the page don't have this problem. And they're just so pleasant!

Edited by Dinasaurus

I use fountain pens because of their functionality, they glide smoothly and lightly without any pressure, and my hand hurts when I push onto the paper. That comes with age. I take a *lot* of notes and I don't like my hand to hurt.

It appears that price ranges could have been chosen differently, in fact most pens with really interesting features cost way more than 80$, often more than 200$. That said, my budget is still around 20-30 per pen.

I'll get a really interesting pen the day my hobbies pay for it.

Rating: 10. No less.

Edited by Vlad72

http://vladsandrini.com/i/mysig.png

vladsandrini.com

Hello all!

I am doing an assignment in school and I needed to gather some data. If you can spend a few minutes answering these questions I would REALLY appreciate it! :D

Thank you! and have a nice day :)

(Also, please comment below how much you enjoy using a fountain pen on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the least, 10 being "I freaking love them!")

10 for me. I get great satisfaction out of using my FPs.

One of your questions was about favorite brand(s). My favorite pens are my handmade Indian ebonite pens. But I also enjoy my Kawecos (vintage) and Lamys.

Although I use fountain pens (almost) daily, I also like a good gel pen sometimes. Recently I've rediscovered mechanical pencils as well. A nice Pentel P207 pencil (0.7 mm) really glides on good paper with a 2B lead.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I guess a 9 would be how much i like them, not a 10 because i hate not finding or having paper that works great with them all the time, thankfully the tops notebooks i found work good enough for school purposes, and i did find a good yellow pad for work. but i do have a drawer half full of paper that sucks...

Although i carry Lamy's for school and work, I do have 5 Montblanc FPs that i use when at home, so while the avg price of the pens i carry is between 20 and 30 the average price in my collection would be closer to 180-200.

10, I just love the act of writing with a FP. Even if I have nothing to write or am doing something else like watching hockey, I'll have out a Rhoda pad and a pen and just write for the sake of writing.

Brand:other, Montblanc

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

Brand - Too many to mention. I have eclectic tastes in my vintage pens. At the moment, Eclipse, Esterbrook, vintage Conklin and vintage English Parker are all inked and in use.

Nobody else mentioned the satisfaction of using an antique pen because of its history. There is something extremely satisfying about using a pen that has been around for more than a century (last night I wrote with a Conklin S3 Crescent, the same model used by Mark Twain) or has a known history (I own and occasionally use Elmer Walzer's red Senior Duofold). I like the ritual of cleaning and filling and selecting which ink to use. All this makes me want to write every day.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The pens I like more are Pelikans and Montegrappa, but I have many others I like too. In general, that brands have the more pens I like, but I enjoy to use others like Nakaya, Dupont or Waterman.