Parker 51 Identification

c4bb0ose

Hey guys I found my first 51 in the wild (Well I assume it is one) using Parker penography I have narrowed it down to a Parker 51 MK III or MK IV in the maroon or 'Plum' as they call it :P .

On the barrel it has Parker and made in england along With the Parker logo.

Inside the barrel the filler is a squeeze type that you cannot take out as it seems to be firmly fastened, the sac is a see through sac which I understand Parker created with this pen. it has Parker 51 on one saide of the filler and "To fill press ribbed bar firmly 4 times holding pen point down, wipe point with soft tissue."

post-106048-0-51096500-1412854377_thumb.jpg

Along with the pen it came with what I assume was the original box and the original paperwork that came with, instructing you on how to fill the pen or convert it to a cartridge filler along with a few other things.

post-106048-0-42855600-1412854381_thumb.jpg

All up $20 NZD for this.

So is this a Parker 51? :P I have never seen one before irl so yeah :blush: .

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• c4bb0ose

• johnmc2

• Cryptos

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it's the last MK "51", produced at the beginning of the '70s. Nice color, and the barrel/cap look really minty too...you sumgai you! Hope it gives you long years of service and welcome to the "51" club!

Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Nice pen! You may be able to get a better fix on the date of manufacture by looking at the leaflet. Somewhere on there, close to the bottom of one of the pages you might see some figures (3/71 for example), the last two MIGHT be the date your pen was made. Parker stopped putting date codes on their pens in the mid '50's and didn't start again until 1980.

The colour isn't "plum" though. Burgundy or possibly rage red. Check on Richard Binders site, he has the colours listed. (richardspens.com)

Nice Find! In slang parlance I think it's color is referred to as Bloody Brit Red!

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

If it has a metal jewel on the cap, then its mf date will be 1971-2 (when parker stopped all P 51 production in England). Before that this last version with the tapered barrel end, came with pearlescent gray jewel from 1969 to 1971.

When it was sold is a different matter entirely!

Nice pick up, they are really nice pens with great nibs

If it has a metal jewel on the cap, then its mf date will be 1971-2 (when parker stopped all P 51 production in England). Before that this last version with the tapered barrel end, came with pearlescent gray jewel from 1969 to 1971.

When it was sold is a different matter entirely!

Nice pick up, they are really nice pens with great nibs

It has a pearl like jewel cap rather than a metal one,

Nice pen! You may be able to get a better fix on the date of manufacture by looking at the leaflet. Somewhere on there, close to the bottom of one of the pages you might see some figures (3/71 for example), the last two MIGHT be the date your pen was made. Parker stopped putting date codes on their pens in the mid '50's and didn't start again until 1980.

The colour isn't "plum" though. Burgundy or possibly rage red. Check on Richard Binders site, he has the colours listed. (richardspens.com)

The leaflet has a space for when the pen was sold but nothing is on there :P

Your pen is a MK II English Aerometric 51.

Those pens were made approximately 1969 to 1971, so some of the last production 51s.

The color is "Rage Red."

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Your pen is a MK II English Aerometric 51.

Those pens were made approximately 1969 to 1971, so some of the last production 51s.

The color is "Rage Red."

Cheers mate!

I'm curious as to where you found that 'in the wild' in New Zealand.

Also, I think it is interesting that these later Parker have a barrel that is starting to resemble what you see on Sheaffer Imperials. Coincidence?

I'm curious as to where you found that 'in the wild' in New Zealand.

Also, I think it is interesting that these later Parker have a barrel that is starting to resemble what you see on Sheaffer Imperials. Coincidence?

An antique store called Hubbers emporium in Invercargill :P. Invercargill has had by far the most fountain pens out of all of the antique stores I have visited so far, that and Tirau.

Ah, are you one of those involved in the surge of available Conway Stewart pens on TradeMe? For some reason there seem to be an awful lot of them turning up lately. Unless CS has some outlet over here. I'm in Dunners BTW.

Ah, are you one of those involved in the surge of available Conway Stewart pens on TradeMe? For some reason there seem to be an awful lot of them turning up lately. Unless CS has some outlet over here. I'm in Dunners BTW.

I put one up on there a month or 2 ago, it was in practically mint condition and I thought someone else would benefit from it :P

You did very well on the 51, I've picked up five this year and only one was that cheap, from the antiques fair that goes around the country. I had to get a replacement jewel off eBay which almost doubled the cost!

There are a lot of 51s being sold at the moment on Trademe. I couldn't believe it when the set with a broken hood sold for $85 this evening. I sold a nice burgundy/gold aerometric a few weeks ago for $54 I thought that was a fair price.

You did very well on the 51, I've picked up five this year and only one was that cheap, from the antiques fair that goes around the country. I had to get a replacement jewel off eBay which almost doubled the cost!

There are a lot of 51s being sold at the moment on Trademe. I couldn't believe it when the set with a broken hood sold for $85 this evening. I sold a nice burgundy/gold aerometric a few weeks ago for $54 I thought that was a fair price.

I figured someone would either want it for scrap gold or they had a spare cap, I took a look and it was glamis who won it :P Every single pen I have put up he has bidded on.

He could very well be the guy who owns europens (the only fountain pen repair place in nz) or just like the kim dot com of the fountain pen world XD.

I got a valuation from the guy who owns parker51.com and he would sell it for $200-275 USD if he had it so I'm chuffed at that :P.

Edited by c4bb0ose

Great result! It's certainly worth getting out and hunting them down, looks like you got a rare colour. How does it write?

Its a medium to broad writer, im more of an extra fine with flex type of person however :P

I think most 51s in NZ are medium, whereas in other parts of the world the fine nib is more common.

Had a nice surprise this morning: my sister-in-law visited the Salvation Army shop in Oamaru and picked up this Duofold Senior for $8. Quick clean and polish, and a bit of nib work, and we have a really nice pen

http://i.imgur.com/GvAzQ1yl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/saJY7nLl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/98TkEGWl.jpg

I think most 51s in NZ are medium, whereas in other parts of the world the fine nib is more common.

Had a nice surprise this morning: my sister-in-law visited the Salvation Army shop in Oamaru and picked up this Duofold Senior for $8. Quick clean and polish, and a bit of nib work, and we have a really nice pen

http://i.imgur.com/GvAzQ1yl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/saJY7nLl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/98TkEGWl.jpg

That is a nice looking one :P I find most of the salvation army type places lack stuff like this in bigger cities, I hit it pretty good in paeroa, found a set of calligraphy stuff including a full parker flighter set with all the nibs, 5 bucks If I recall correctly.

Now most would be a bit so so about getting one of those but I have an affinity for that kind of shape, thats why I have to stope my self buying all of the Targas on trademe :P

I haven't seen many Targas on Trademe. My wife bought me a slim marble grey ronce lacque in England last year, that is my only one. I have a few Imperials and a PFM II.

If you like that Targa shape, the Fashion is another model you could look at

Are you still looking for a clip for a CS286? I'm still keeping an eye out for you.

Here's some of my Sheaffers, Targa second from the left.

http://i.imgur.com/RBz9SJyl.jpg