Where To Buy Broad And Stub Nibs For My Esties

amberleadavis

So, yes, I have been infected. I went a whole 2 weeks without a TWSBI and only using Esties. I just acquired two more on eBay and they both have fine or medium nibs. SO, here is the question...

Where do I find broad and stub nibs?

I started at AndersonPens.net and that's where I found the Venus nibs...but really, they aren't broad enough or stubby enough for my marker type tastes.

So, where could I find obnoxiously broad and stub nibs? Preferably at a great price.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• pajaro

• Oldtimer

• OcalaFlGuy

I know the Osmiroids fit. Or i think i know. Maybe check out with an Esterbrook expert here, i know he will come to the rescue. Really, i have an estie fit with an Osmiroid stub.

Edited by Oldtimer

Oh... I do have one Osmiroid... it came on the pen. Where would I find those? (Sorry, I'm very much a newbie about these little gems).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh... I do have one Osmiroid... it came on the pen. Where would I find those? (Sorry, I'm very much a newbie about these little gems).

I found them on Ebay.... Ypu may have to buy a lot of good and bad nibs together. Or a pen with a good nib.

Thank you! I have the fine and broad.

Any nibs that are Broader?

To get anything wider or better than an Osmiroid would be very expensive.

If you didn't need so wide, I'd find a M or B 9 series nib and send it to Pendemonium to have ground to your spec.

I have 4 ground Estie nibs. They Are the kitties jammies.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-yes I have paid $30 to have a $15 P-45 nib ground, why do you ask?

Sometimes I've lucked out on Ebay (including a 9968 and a 9788) -- but so far the broad stubs and Falcon nibs have eluded me. And I keep looking at the Osmiroid nibs but then decide that I have better ways to spend my money, so I just watch the listings.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for posting this; I just snagged one, too. I have a 2314-F and love it. Jeez, I love stubs and it's all dcpritch's fault!

Amberlea - do you have a 2284/9284? I can send my 2284 along with your TWSBI if you want to try it.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

If you want really, really broad, Lamy Safari 1.5 mm or 1.9 mm, or Sheaffer No Nonsense italic M or italic B, which are about the same as the Lamy.

For an Esterbrook, you could take one of the wider nibs and stub it very broad. Grind it way down. It will probably wear down after a while.

The 9284/2284 stub is a little broader than the 9314-B, but not much. Generally pricey, even the 2284. The italics, 2312 and 9312 are like a 1.1 mm or 1.2 mm.

Pilot Plumix is another alternative, with medium and broad italic nibs, and it is a low cost, cute pen. The Plumix nib can be put onto an Esterbrook sleeve with an Estie feed. I have tried this, but liked the Plumix, and so put it back together.

The Sheaffer No Nonsense will probably not go into an Estie sleeve. I think it is too large to fit. The Lamy nib is differently shaped.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Whoa, I got into Esterbrooks at the same time as amberleadavis and we're both hunting for broader nibs? What a coincidence! :D

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

Whoa, I got into Esterbrooks at the same time as amberleadavis and we're both hunting for broader nibs? What a coincidence! :D

I think you are treading a common path. It seems to be a logical progression.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

So... I do have some Plumix nibs... they have been dry writers ... I suppose if they are the Estie sleeve they could become wet writers? So where is the link for changing out nibs in the sleeve? **I assume there is a link, because the Estie form has an amazing amount of information**.

So, here is a queston for the Estie Whisperers: I have two 2314 nibs. Is there some place on the nib unit which specifies F, M, or B width?

Also, for the lefty's in the crowd new to these factory stub nibs (that would be me) you will possibly have read in this forum that these nibs are ground slightly to Left Oblique orientation. Don't let that put you off trying them. I have in the past had real problems trying to use L Oblique nibs with my Lefty overwriter orientation (I know, wny don't I take up lawn darts as a hobby, why does it have to be FP's?) anyway ... operating in the dark can occasionally have a payoff: I bought the fist of these 2314's not knowing that they were ground the 'wrong' way for me, and have been having a great time (and no trouble at all) using them.

Sometimes we (I) convince ourselves that something is, or isn't, based on incomplete information, and then it lives on to become fact. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss.

Edited by DrCodfish

So... I do have some Plumix nibs... they have been dry writers ... I suppose if they are the Estie sleeve they could become wet writers? So where is the link for changing out nibs in the sleeve? **I assume there is a link, because the Estie form has an amazing amount of information**.

Trade secrets.

1. Get or make a knockout block.

2. Put the nib unit in a spare section.

3. Hold a rod of the size that common sense tells you is smaller than the sleeve size againsr the feed and tap gently with a hammer. This knocks the nib and feed out of the sleeve.

4. Fit the replacement nib to the feed and press them into the sleeve. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE THREADS ON THE SLEEVE ON THE CORRECT END, or you will be re-doing it.

For info on knockout block, search in FPN. Repair forum or Esterbrook forum.

You will be well advised to have a spare section for this. It doesn't matter if it is cracked, it only has to hold the nib unit for the tap-out of nib and feed.

= = = = = = = =

So, here is a queston for the Estie Whisperers: I have two 2314 nibs. Is there some place on the nib unit which specifies F, M, or B width?

Also, for the lefty's in the crowd new to these factory stub nibs (that would be me) you will possibly have read in this forum that these nibs are ground slightly to Left Oblique orientation. Don't let that put you off trying them. I have in the past had real problems trying to use L Oblique nibs with my Lefty overwriter orientation (I know, wny don't I take up lawn darts as a hobby, why does it have to be FP's?) anyway ... operating in the dark can occasionally have a payoff: I bought the fist of these 2314's not knowing that they were ground the 'wrong' way for me, and have been having a great time (and no trouble at all) using them.

Sometimes we (I) convince ourselves that something is, or isn't, based on incomplete information, and then it lives on to become fact. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss.

The nibs are marked "2314-F" etc.

Trade secrets.

1. Get or make a knockout block.

2. Put the nib unit in a spare section.

3. Hold a rod of the size that common sense tells you is smaller than the sleeve size againsr the feed and tap gently with a hammer. This knocks the nib and feed out of the sleeve.

4. Fit the replacement nib to the feed and press them into the sleeve. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE THREADS ON THE SLEEVE ON THE CORRECT END, or you will be re-doing it.

For info on knockout block, search in FPN. Repair forum or Esterbrook forum.

You will be well advised to have a spare section for this. It doesn't matter if it is cracked, it only has to hold the nib unit for the tap-out of nib and feed.

= = = = = = = =

The nibs are marked "2314-F" etc.

OH MY -- that's too scary for me. I don't usually have enough fine motor control to put a TWSBI back together. Me and a hammar will be a catastrophy.

Re finding Esterbrook nibs -

Once you find the number of the nib you want, or think you want, of course go to the usual online FP suppliers. But I've found that if you do a google search for just the number, Esty nibs turn up in some out of the way places, and usually for decent prices. Case in point I got a fine left oblique from an antique shop in Texas for about $15 shipped.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

So far, we have AndersonPens.net, Ebay.com, Etsy.com and a google search. Any other suggestions?