What Was Your First Lamy?

Norsk24

Today I received my very first Lamy. It is a charcoal coloured Safari with a medium nib. I wish it was an extra fine but that will be my next purchase. From the moment I saw it in the shops here in Singapore I knew I wanted it but for a price of $53sgd I wasn't quite sure it was worth it. I went online and found a reputable seller on ebay offering up Lamy Safaris for just $20usd (only $25sgd!!!) with free shipping from the UK and I immediately bought it. I'm very pleased with this pen and feel like I'm going to be addicted with all the other color options they offer.

What are your first experiences with a Lamy?

post-116607-0-66601200-1412676853_thumb.jpg

post-116607-0-20220400-1412676858_thumb.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• farmdogfan

• Yaakova

• gwyneddd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started with the knockoff Lamy Safari (Hero 359s)

Then I got gifted two Lamy Al-Stars, one Champagne one Violet.

And now, a Lamy 2000.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Lamy 2000 EF Charcoal. I liked it so much, I bought another one-in F this time.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I started with a Charcoal Safari as well...best color in the line! Mine had a 1.5i nib; then I sold the Safari and got a Lamy 2000 with a Medium nib and it's now my favorite pen design of all :D !

Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Hello Norsk,

My first Lamy, (if memory serves), was an Ocean Blue Al-Star. I now have around a dozen Lamy pens and continue to buy them. Ironically, I do not have the ever-popular charcoal Safari, (but it is on my list). You've discovered a great brand... enjoy! :D

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Lamy black titanium oxide Persona, OB 18 K nail. ... no line variation.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3985.jpg

Very nice Art Deco style, by a famous designer....look up Lamy ...Muller?

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3981.jpg

After the 'worthless' no line variation at all....made only for some one who cant's their nib nail was made CI by Pendelton Brown. Then and only then did the pen come out of the box.

Since then with the CI grind, it is always in rotation....even if not used as much as the others that switch in and out of rotation.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3994.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ocean Blue Al-Star (EF) about two years ago, then an L2K (EF), followed about six months ago with a pair of Al-Stars, light green and purple, EF and 1.1 respectively. Use them all fairly regularly, the L2K is my primary carry pen.

Early in my pen buying days, I purchased a Lamy ABC. I really didn't like it at all and swore off the brand.

However, last spring I purchased a Lamy Safari Coral Edition. It has been inked and used regularly ever since. It's not perfect, but I like it.

More recently, I purchased a Lamy 2000. I wasn't planning this purchase and was actually saving for another pen. However, I got large, unexpected windfall and decided to splurge. I have been enjoying it a lot so far, but I am only on my second day of ownership. We're still on our honeymoon!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My first actual Lamy... a Charcoal black safari with a fine, extra-fine and 1.9 nib. But it's currently uninked and I don't use it at all. The only other Lamy I own is a Lamy 2000 which is inked with an extra-fine that came extremely dry and rough until I adjusted it.

I don't plan on buying anymore Lamy products. They're "ok" but that's about it.

Charcoal Safari with a broad nib.

They are well made and reliable fountain pens at a sensible price.

I bought two Lamy Safaris late last year (with F nibs) for my two older (school-aged) kids - one as a birthday present, the other for Christmas - both of which have been continuous use thereafter. More recently I purchased a Lamy for myself - and went straight for the Lamy 2000, the black makrolon. Seems this is either a pen you love, or a pen you don't love... For me, it's just a great pen - classic look and feel, writes beautifully (now that I've had a chance to 'break it in' a little).

My first was a Apple Green Safari with a Fine nib. I've since added an Aquamarine Safari with a DIY fine stub, and a Graphite Al Star that's sporting a fine gold nib.

Mine's a 2000 fountain pen, then soon expanded to the propelling pencil and ballpoint pen.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I started with the knockoff Lamy Safari (Hero 359s)

Then I got gifted two Lamy Al-Stars, one Champagne one Violet.

And now, a Lamy 2000.

~Epic

How did you like the Hero 359 in comparison to the Al-Star?

Lamy black titanium oxide Persona, OB 18 K nail. ... no line variation.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3985.jpg

Very nice Art Deco style, by a famous designer....look up Lamy ...Muller?

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3981.jpg

After the 'worthless' no line variation at all....made only for some one who cant's their nib nail was made CI by Pendelton Brown. Then and only then did the pen come out of the box.

Since then with the CI grind, it is always in rotation....even if not used as much as the others that switch in and out of rotation.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3994.jpg

That's a pretty nifty looking pen! :thumbup:

How did you like the Hero 359 in comparison to the Al-Star?

That's a pretty nifty looking pen! :thumbup:

They give a similar writing experience to me, and I cannot argue against its price!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

My first fountain pen was exactly what you have posted in the OP! A charcoal Lamy Safari with a medium nib! I still love that pen :).

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

My first Lamy was a white safari with a black colored M nib. Sadly or not it got lost along the way sometime.