Tempted By The M1000 - Get Behind Me, Satan!

Uncial

I recently had the great pleasure of using both the M800 and the M1000. I currently own an M200 with a 400 nib (I hope I've remembered that correctly!) and I really like it, although it's not in the classic green stripe style and it is a little too small for me to be honest. It was the delight at using the m800 and the m1000 that made me buy the m200 frankenmodel.

It was all good for a while, but I noticed something a little strange. I like to post my pens and the Pelikans post securely and well. The m1000 is a huge pen and bigger again when posted, but I really, really liked it - hence the strong level of temptation to spend a silly amount of money. But I was a little surprised that the m800 didn't feel as well balanced when posted and written with. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it simply to do with hand size and writing style?

Now I won't be running out to the shops anytime soon, but can anyone both encourage me to part with a sizeable amount of euro's and discourage me? I'll be honest, I'm totally sold on the m1000, but would appreciate knowing any of the bad things...if there are any.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• mbosaz

• Azura

• SujiCorp12345

The M1000's nib is supposed to be springier than its predecessors from the M 150-800 range.

Oh wait... That's a good thing. :rolleyes:

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

The M1000 nib is huge and soft and even a bit flexible (new models), so if you dislike these points, don´t buy one....

Not a lot of bad things to say about it if you are ok with the size and the price. Nice pen.

I'm ok with everything except the price! It will be quite a few months of saving to get there, but if I can stay disciplined then giving into the temptation will feel even better!

Don't wait too long, prices are going up again according to Niche Pens in UK.

I'm very glad I bought mine when I did (x2 in the black).

I have relatively small hands but I still find them great to write with; when one goes into my rotation I get sooo tempted to refill and keep on using it rather than move on to the next choice.

Glenn.

Don't wait too long, prices are going up again according to Niche Pens in UK.

I'm very glad I bought mine when I did (x2 in the black).

I have relatively small hands but I still find them great to write with; when one goes into my rotation I get sooo tempted to refill and keep on using it rather than move on to the next choice.

Glenn.

Do you know when the prices are supposed to go up?

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Sorry to have to tell you, but in the UK it was October 6 .....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Hello, i am new to the hobbie and to the forum. Sorry in advance if I make mistakes. I bought teo weeks ago one beautiful M1005, M nib. I love it but after I started using other nib sizes, I started thinking about moving to F or EF. Actually Pelikan M is probably one of the biggest nibs (0.49mm).

Do my humble advice, try all sizes.

My question to the rest, have you tried F and EF on Pelikan? Is it still soft, with almost no feedback?

Hello, i am new to the hobbie and to the forum. Sorry in advance if I make mistakes. I bought teo weeks ago one beautiful M1005, M nib. I love it but after I started using other nib sizes, I started thinking about moving to F or EF. Actually Pelikan M is probably one of the biggest nibs (0.49mm).

Do my humble advice, try all sizes.

My question to the rest, have you tried F and EF on Pelikan? Is it still soft, with almost no feedback?

Depends on the specific nib, but overall my F and EF nibs give more feedback compared to my B nib. Not that different from my M nibs.

Indeed always try before you buy!

If you think a F or EF would have been better, there is a nib exchange program for buyers (in 3 weeks after buying I think) to change their nib for free to another size. But only if you have bought a new pen off course.

Pelikan nut

I've only one negative comment on the M1000. The ink windows on Pelikan pens are hard to see into. Everything else about the pen is exceptional. Pistons are reliable and hold lots of ink. Nibs on the M1000 are incredible. One can get very attractive script with lots of line variation. I normally use broad nibs more than other nib size but with the M1000 I use medium & fine. When I want a broad line I bear down slightly and there it is. With my writing style the M1000 broad is overly wet for most purposes. As the OP said the balance on M1000s is great and the size is very comfortable. I don't do any long writing projects with narrow or short pens but I can write for extended periods in comfort with the big Pelikan.

So far as price, Pelikan M1000s can be found brand new from some reliable Ebay vendors at substantial discounts from MSRP. Look on FPN to see which vendors people have had good experience with. One can also find the occasional M1000 for sale used. Look on FPN classifieds rather than Ebay for used merchandise. You're confidence levels can be greater. Pelikan pens are well made and last a very long time so a good condition used M1000 may be the best option for the cost conscious buyer..

Have you seen the demos? Caution: enabling.

This site needs a finger wagging 'you naughty person' smiley.

Thanks for all the advice. It is a significant outlay for me and while I have done this before for other pens, it is nice to be sure of its quality and reliability before committing.

• 1 month later...

So I committed the sin and gave in to temptation. After a few instalments it is now in possession. Oooooh, what a nice pen.