Just Started Paying Attention To Omas--Want To Know More!

cnjackson

Jar--is this an example of what you mean?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omas-Old-Style-Paragon-Full-Size-Fountain-Pen-W-18K-M-Nib-/111485236176?hash=item19f509b3d0

it's pre 2006, it says, so different from the date you mention.

Not sure what old-style means.

And is this a reasonable price?

A black Paragon that is used can be had for $200-$300. I don't think you need to spend more than that.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cnjackson

• Keyless Works

• jar

• eric47

Around 2000, LVMH bought Omas, and around that time Omas started outsourcing nibs from Bock. So buy a pen from that period onward, and you'll get "German" Bock nib experience. Although Omas still uses their own ebonite feeds.

For something "soft", you'll need to avoid the Omas inhouse 18K (around 1991-about 2000), and look for the older 14K inhouse nibs.

But if nib width matters, the Omas inhouse nibs are about half a size thinner than the Bock nibs.

I agree: the pre-1991 nibs are among the most amazing you could possibly put your hands on. Try finding an old AM87 or an Amerigo Vespucci.

Jar--is this an example of what you mean?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omas-Old-Style-Paragon-Full-Size-Fountain-Pen-W-18K-M-Nib-/111485236176?hash=item19f509b3d0

it's pre 2006, it says, so different from the date you mention.

Not sure what old-style means.

And is this a reasonable price?

That's a little later, Bock nib era but that price is just plain silly. That's the basic style though. Look for one well under half that price.

My Website

Old Style means pre "modern" Paragon - look at the new ones with the metal grip section and the novelty baseball bat proportions

OK--I think I get it: an old style Paragon will not be a giant, mental sectioned pen.

But Old Style is different from modern Vintage OMAS pens, right?

Yes the nibs are now made by Bock but in terms for performance there isn't much difference between the two. The differences lie more in the older 14kt gold nibs. One way to tell a OMAS nib is the different style of Greek lettering. The Bock-made nibs have a large "O".

http://unroyalwarrant.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/photo.jpg?w=575&h=351

Left to right: 1) Bock made 18kt gold, 2) OMAS made 18kt gold, 3) OMAS made 14kt gold “Extra Lucens”

Also the OMAS nibs from what I have see have a longer body though you can't really tell unless you remove the nib....this doesn't affect the performance but it is interesting to note that the OMAS-made nibs used more gold.

Thanks again, Keyless--this helps a lot, too!

And I think you (and others) have said that the 14kt nibs are particularly nice, as they are softer to write with. But I gather from your posts that they are rarer and therefore more expensive?

Or--wait--I think you said that an older OMAS-made 14kt could be found in black resin for a reasonable price?

I hope I'm starting to sort all this out!

Chris

A black Paragon that is used can be had for $200-$300. I don't think you need to spend more than that.

Oh wow! I'm glad I checked with you on the prices. 200-300 is much more manageable!

Well...the modern "Vintage" OMAS pens that you can buy new today and are listed on the OMAS website are more or less the "old style". If it has a metal section then you definitely know it's not the old style.

Okay here is my advice. A black Paragon or 557 is the best starting place to see if OMAS pens are right for you. I personally would opt for a an 18kt or 14kt OMAS made nib if you can.

I agree: the pre-1991 nibs are among the most amazing you could possibly put your hands on. Try finding an old AM87 or an Amerigo Vespucci.

I just looked at some of these on ebay--very pretty! Something I'll remember!

Well...the modern "Vintage" OMAS pens that you can buy new today and are listed on the OMAS website are more or less the "old style". If it has a metal section then you definitely know it's not the old style.

Okay here is my advice. A black Paragon or 557 is the best starting place to see if OMAS pens are right for you. I personally would opt for a an 18kt or 14kt OMAS made nib if you can.

Thanks, Keyless! Your advice echoes Jar's, and I'll start to hunt around!

Thanks again, Keyless--this helps a lot, too!

And I think you (and others) have said that the 14kt nibs are particularly nice, as they are softer to write with. But I gather from your posts that they are rarer and therefore more expensive?

Or--wait--I think you said that an older OMAS-made 14kt could be found in black resin for a reasonable price?

I hope I'm starting to sort all this out!

Chris

Yes the 14kt gold nibs are very nice but they aren't really more expensive in my experience. I recently bought an OMAS Gentlemen with the 14kt gold "Extra Lucens" nib I posted above for a little over $200. It is a very soft "semi-flexible"-ish nib.

Here it is next to a 149:

http://unroyalwarrant.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dsc01245-e1403388129813.jpg?w=575&h=169

According to some Italian collectors it is a black celluloid (not resin) pen from the 1960s. This model is poorly documented though.

Yes the 14kt gold nibs are very nice but they aren't really more expensive in my experience. I recently bought an OMAS Gentlemen with the 14kt gold "Extra Lucens" nib I posted above for a little over $200. It is a very soft "semi-flexible"-ish nib.

Here it is next to a 149:

http://unroyalwarrant.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dsc01245-e1403388129813.jpg?w=575&h=169

According to some Italian collectors it is a black celluloid (not resin) pen from the 1960s. This model is poorly documented though.

Oh my--that really looks nice!

OK--one last question--Is ebay perhaps the best place to hunt around?

Just a few more hints with relatively modern Paragons and Milords..

If it has the bow tie clip it is likely OMAS inhouse nib, if roller clip it is likely Bock nib era. The same holds true when considering Ogiva versions.

http://www.fototime.com/51B6E3556B198AF/large.jpg

From left, OMAS nib Paragon, Bock nib Paragon, OMAS nib Milord, Bock nib Milord, OMAS nib Milord (Bibliotheque Nationale).

Look everywhere, eBay, Martini, penboard, Bryan, Nibs ...

AbE:

Also, consider the Milord size as well. I find I use them more than the larger Paragon. Here is a Milord beside a modern size Pelikan 600 and a Paragon next to a modern size Pelikan 800.

http://www.fototime.com/C331E2650405260/medium800.jpg

Edited by jar

My Website

Just a few more hints with relatively modern Paragons and Milords..

If it has the bow tie clip it is likely OMAS inhouse nib, if roller clip it is likely Bock nib era. The same holds true when considering Ogiva versions.

http://www.fototime.com/51B6E3556B198AF/large.jpg

From left, OMAS nib Paragon, Bock nib Paragon, OMAS nib Milord, Bock nib Milord, OMAS nib Milord (Bibliotheque Nationale).

Look everywhere, eBay, Martini, penboard, Bryan, Nibs ...

AbE:

Also, consider the Milord size as well. I find I use them more than the larger Paragon. Here is a Milord beside a modern size Pelikan 600 and a Paragon next to a modern size Pelikan 800.

http://www.fototime.com/C331E2650405260/medium800.jpg

Thanks again, Jar--I am very fond of the M800 size: it's just right for me, so the old style Paragon will probably be perfect.

I'll start looking around for an OMAS-made nib in a resin paragon to get myself started--though the celluloid is still calling to me!

Is Bryan from Chatterley Pens?

Chris

Thanks again, Jar--I am very fond of the M800 size: it's just right for me, so the old style Paragon will probably be perfect.

I'll start looking around for an OMAS-made nib in a resin paragon to get myself started--though the celluloid is still calling to me!

Is Bryan from Chatterley Pens?

Chris

Yup, Chatterley Pens.

Edited by jar

My Website

I have had several Omas over the years, and they are truly spectacular pens. I tend to use Italian and Japanese pens, but I have to say that Omas are at the top.

I just sent off my Arco Milord for repairs. Until recently it performed perfectly. I just was going to ink it up and the piston assembly came out of the body.

I hope that it will be back in hands soon....

the Danitrio Fellowship