Sos Sailor Ink - Kobe, Bung Box And Ishida Bungu Help

bstnnyc

Hi Everyone, After reading the many wonderful reviews that saskia_madding has been writing on the Sailor inks, I finally tried all of the Jentle line (except for Black and Doyou) and I of course got hooked! This brand really is amazing and now I’ve fallen in love with Epinard, Miruai, Shigure and Yama Dori!

The only thing I am still searching for is one or two blues by Sailor. I don’t love cerulean blues so Souten wasn’t right for me and Nioi-Sumire was beautiful but not the shade I need at the moment. Although I loved the contrast of the red sheen and the blue ink of the basic Sailor Blue, this was the only ink from all of the Jentle line samples that I ordered that dried in my nib, and I had to use pen flush to get the dried sheen off after only a couple minutes of use, so it’s not a good match for my pen.

I am looking for a bright true blue that doesn’t lean too much to green or purple and I love smooth inks with a great flow (Miruai blew me away from this point). After going through the extensive reviews of the Kobe, Bung Box and Ishida Bungu inks that once again I am so thankful to :notworthy1: saskia_madding for posting, I’ve narrowed down the blues to:

-Bung Box Sapphire
-Kobe# 14 Maya Lapis
-Kobe#37 Island Blue
-Ishida Bungu Hakodate Twilight

I’ve found a review from amberleadavis and a co-razy view from cyber6 of Kobe #37, so I’ve added those images to the comparison chart I’m compiling to help decide on the final blues.

It’s been a rough week, so I am using it as an excuse to treat myself to 2 of the inks (I'll look for any excuse to get an inky treat :blush: haha) but I wanted to ask if anyone has writing samples and experience with these 4 inks that they could share in this post. Any information you could include about flow, smoothness, sheen (i love sheen lately!) and potential dry out or cleaning issues that would be very helpful!

Thank you very much for your help!!

Bahij

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bstnnyc

• saskia_madding

• Ghost Plane

• Algester

Glad to have helped!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Glad to have helped!

Thank you for posting that review! It is very thorough and the water test at the end is beautiful!

ah... you could have also checked out shousaikan's seiran but ok...

bungbox sapphire if you ever used Penman Sapphire by Parker guess why it's named after it...

and No please... I'm telling you now please do not click the link at my signature...

Edited by Algester

I have the BB and the Ishida Bungu. For what you I want I would recommend the BBC Saphire. Hakodate Twighlight is an incredibly *dark* pure blue, not bright.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

ah... you could have also checked out shousaikan's seiran but ok...

bungbox sapphire if you ever used Penman Sapphire by Parker guess why it's named after it...

and No please... I'm telling you now please do not click the link at my signature...

Thank you for your recommendation Algester! I've never tried Penman Sapphire, but the photos of it look incredible. And I just clicked on your link and saw the picture of shousaikan's seiran; it's beautiful too. There are too many nice Sailor inks; and that link is dangerous... I definitely need a bigger ink budget!

I have the BB and the Ishida Bungu. For what you I want I would recommend the BBC Saphire. Hakodate Twighlight is an incredibly *dark* pure blue, not bright.

Thank you so much alarickc!! I am leaning towards the BB Sapphire too based on saskia_maddings reviews of the 4 inks; it doesn't look like any other ink I've tried before. Do you have any writing samples that you could share with me of either of them? Also would you recommend the Hakodate Twilight as a second ink if I were to get two or do you prefer one of the other two Kobes?

Twighlight is not an ink to miss, easily one of the great blues.

If you message me your address I can send you a swab and sample (with dip pen) of each. I'll include Souten as well so you have a point of reference, since dip pens and swabs aren't the same as a fountain pen.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Twighlight is not an ink to miss, easily one of the great blues.

If you message me your address I can send you a swab and sample (with dip pen) of each. I'll include Souten as well so you have a point of reference, since dip pens and swabs aren't the same as a fountain pen.

Thank you very much!! I will send you a message now

I'll tell you what - I'll do a written comparison of all four and post a photo Monday. :)

Thank you! Thank you!! You've just made my weekend. This is one of the few times I'm excited for the workweek to begin!

So I stayed up late doing the comparison, but today is rainy and dark. Pictures are not indicative of true ink colour on days like today. Tomorrow is going to be sunny, The Weather Network assures me, so I'll snap some photos in the sun and post them tomorrow. Just letting you know!

So I stayed up late doing the comparison, but today is rainy and dark. Pictures are not indicative of true ink colour on days like today. Tomorrow is going to be sunny, The Weather Network assures me, so I'll snap some photos in the sun and post them tomorrow. Just letting you know!

Seriously I cannot thank you enough for all of your help! I'm so sorry you stayed up late for me. I really appreciate your taking the time to do the comparison and even getting the right lighting!

Heh. I should feel bad for laughing at this ... but I am.

"Bung Box" is just bringing out my inner Beavis and Butt-Head.

the morning was rainy, but the afternoon provided me about 30 minutes of sun.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00100_zpsa60c5510.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00101_zpsf850912e.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00103_zps74ae5daf.jpg

Many more pictures here, but there are two on the previous page as well.

Be warned - Kobe #37 has a REALLY long dry time. And IB Hakodate Twilight has a lot of sheen, but it isn't an ink i'd leave unused in a pen for weeks at a time. I suspect that the part that makes it sheen might also gum it up. I know that it can take a bit of effort to get it out of a pen (nothing an overnight soak in warm, slightly soapy water won't take care of though), and that I had to run the bottle under warm water for three minutes in order to get the bottle open. It has probably been about three months since I used it last. Personally, I definitely think it is worth the extra effort! :)

I think I need 37 and 14 now. Sigh. It never ends does it?

Edited by alarickc

Be warned - Kobe #37 has a REALLY long dry time. And IB Hakodate Twilight has a lot of sheen, but it isn't an ink i'd leave unused in a pen for weeks at a time. I suspect that the part that makes it sheen might also gum it up. I know that it can take a bit of effort to get it out of a pen (nothing an overnight soak in warm, slightly soapy water won't take care of though), and that I had to run the bottle under warm water for three minutes in order to get the bottle open. It has probably been about three months since I used it last. Personally, I definitely think it is worth the extra effort! :)

WOW!! Thank you so much for doing this saskia_madding! My state right now is a mix of :bunny01: and :cloud9: haha You really made my week!!

So now the hard part... I must admit that I've been staring at the screen for the past hour and a half trying to decide on which two inks to get but It's too hard especially with the unexpected but wonderful Kobe 50 curveball you added :P! The Hakodate Twilight is beautiful but I'm concerned about the excess sheen and the added cleaning because I'm looking to use these blues in my daily writer, (which is the vintage nib that did not like the excess sheen of the basic Sailor Blue, but which loved Epinard, Miruai, and Shigure) so I will try to pick from the first 4. After seeing them side by side, I can't pick just 2 of them, because I'm a big sucker for blues so I am thinking of getting all 4.

Can I ask you for your help one more time regarding the flow and smoothness of the inks before I put in the order? I saw you gave BB Sapphire and Kobes 14 and 37 lubrication score of at least moderate+ in your ink reviews. Do you think these three inks and Kobe 50 have a flow and lubrication that is at least as good as Epinard (which is not as high as a Miruai but still pleasing to write with)? (From the Sailors I tried the one I enjoyed writing with the least was Souten because it felt a little drier and very thin under the flexy nib)

I am so thankful for all of your help!

Bahij