Pelikan Price Rise

bbs

Agreed but we should remember that another Major Brand has put up their prices this year!

Sighs.

Not everyone in the hobby has deep pockets ya know... :unsure:

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Notgatherox

• Matlock

• cybaea

• maverick777

Sighs.

Not everyone in the hobby has deep pockets ya know... :unsure:

~Epic

I've got deep pockets but very short arms, so that doesn't work :(.

Peter

I don't know whether the price increase originated at Pelikan Holding AG or Pelikan International or the latter's corporate strategy, but I have tried to see this as a bad move and just can't. Demand for higher-end Pelikan products has been inelastic enough to warrant all of the increases we have seen since 2010. I doubt that demand would be significantly affected even if prices were to rise 25% more. So long as the brand name continues to have cache, those who own a Pelikan already will surely benefit. When I sell my m400 (not if, it's only a matter of time), the item is likely to command a higher price. Serious collectors should be quietly turning handstands.

The question I would raise is the impact on the distribution network. Pelikan's advantage over Montblanc is that it is widely available online and in brick-and-mortar stores. if the price increase is reflected in a profit margin increase, the street price may not change as much as expected and retailers will not be inclined to drop the product or reduce their inventories. In addition, the major growth for Pelikan International is likely to occur in the far east. If a price increase makes their product more attractive there, it's becomes even more difficult to see the price increase as anything but a smart move.

... it's getting ridiculous, not only for the extra cash you have to put in, but it shouts out that Pelikan isn't a serious company anymore.

On the other hand there was another sales campaign at on of our retailers where they sold (older) M605 for about €110.

Pelikan (as a whole, not only the fountain pens) had a revenue of 313 million in 2009 and 184 million in 2013. Seems to match the price increase.

I haven't heard of a price increase here in Germany yet, but that doesn't mean a thing.

Greetings,

Michael

I have bought all my pels in second hand, sad to see the prices rising.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

There seems to be one in Germany too - I just checked at Fritz schimpf. But to be honest, it was not that I directly stopped breathing. I remember 10,- Euro for M1000 and M800 each...

At the end it's a question of the street price - which one of us buys based on list prices??

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Old used pens..... :rolleyes: Fine nibs! :thumbup:

Post '97 nibs. :angry: ...out side the 1000....which is way too huge for me.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

What's considered a good price for an M600 now? I'm considering getting my first Pelikan and it seems the increases were rather significant. I wish I could find an M600 for $200. I'd get one in a heartbeat at that price.

What's considered a good price for an M600 now? I'm considering getting my first Pelikan and it seems the increases were rather significant. I wish I could find an M600 for $200. I'd get one in a heartbeat at that price.

There's one in the classifieds right now for $240, close to you price range and significantly less than retail!

There's one in the classifieds right now for $240, close to you price range and significantly less than retail!

Thanks. I saw that one. Unfortunately I'm looking for one in blue stripe or white tortoise.

I just picked up a mint M600 EF for $210 on ebay. Keep looking.

I see this as the route many 'long term' luxury goods brands take like - watches, hi end hifi ( not disposable i.e. Phone's, Car where they have a useful life/value of a few years ) where every year they have a price increase based on cost of goods changes - gold/silver, exchange rate changes or plain 'just because'.

At the end of the day this maintains the value of the 'older' products.

So this is a blessing and a curse, for new people to Pelikan or old folks replacing nibs etc, it's more money. But, if you have a flock and you want to trade, you could let the pen go for what you paid for it ( or more ) thus you don't loose out and the buyer feels they are getting a deal.

Time will tell what affect it will have on Pelikan.