Pelikan Price Rise

bbs

Just had an email from Niche (Pelikan) Pens saying Pelikan are putting their prices up for the second time this year, with effect from Monday.

Apologies if I've missed previous posts about this, giving more notice, but seems a little excessive?

Plus I also believe Pelikan have not been able to fulfil all the dealers' pre-orders for the M101N Red Tortoiseshell (this is totally unconnected with Pelikan/Niche Pens, BTW).

Not the best way to treat your customers? Is all well at Pelikan?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Notgatherox

• Matlock

• cybaea

• maverick777

I think it is a little excessive to rise prices twice in only one year. When this happenes earlier this year, someone from this forum said "buy vintage, then". I think he is right.

I an a little confused about the bew M101N red tortoise. I have read a very few reviews of this pen, but everyone seems to agredd that the pen is overvalued and it is not what they were expecting, but they love it so so much and tell to others that should buy it before is gone.

It is really selling slow? It is better the vintage version in "cost/value" ratio?

This is BS. Pelikan prices have gone by more than 30% in the last few years. I was saving up for an m1000 (which I blew on an optima, great deal) but I think I will be getting more Japanese and Italian pens instead.

Edited by parnesh

Well yes, Pelikan has been raising prices up, because of the want to follow a certain Major Brand, to enhance their standing and be viewed as a luxury brand.

For example, a 14k gold nib (just the nib unit) was $90 here last year and $150 this year.

So the only way for me to go is vintage or pre-owned. I love the birds, but I can't afford brand new ones :/

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

It's not fun anymore with those prices. I decided to sell some.

If more people are doing this, everyone will be happy except the Pelikan and Montblanc producers/owners.

I'm wondering if it could be that Pelikan is not increasing the list price but just reducing the margin for the sellers. Since Niche pens are typically selling the Pelikans quite a lot below list price they would be rather sensitive to such I change I would guess...

I love my Pelikans and am sorry to see them getting so expensive.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Well yes, Pelikan has been raising prices up, because of the want to follow a certain Major Brand, to enhance their standing and be viewed as a luxury brand.

For example, a 14k gold nib (just the nib unit) was $90 here last year and $150 this year.

So the only way for me to go is vintage or pre-owned. I love the birds, but I can't afford brand new ones :/

~Epic

It is bad news when prices go up but, for instance, a 14k gold nib in the UK is £68 ($109). We should also remember that a Pelikan M1000 at the moment is £353 (RRP£510) against a 149 at £620.

Peter

It is bad news when prices go up but, for instance, a 14k gold nib in the UK is £68 ($109). We should also remember that a Pelikan M1000 at the moment is £353 (RRP£510) against a 149 at £620.

I was just musing at the huge jump in price (for me at least, since I'm still a student)

Oh, and the M1000 is about $700-800 here, compared to a 149 at $950.

At the moment, really too expensive for me... :unsure: maybe when i start working.... :eureka:

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I was just musing at the huge jump in price (for me at least, since I'm still a student)

At the moment, really too expensive for me... :unsure: maybe when i start working.... :eureka:

~Epic

I know how you feel, but we can all dream.

Peter

Just had an email from Niche (Pelikan) Pens saying Pelikan are putting their prices up for the second time this year, with effect from Monday.

Apologies if I've missed previous posts about this, giving more notice, but seems a little excessive?

Plus I also believe Pelikan have not been able to fulfil all the dealers' pre-orders for the M101N Red Tortoiseshell (this is totally unconnected with Pelikan/Niche Pens, BTW).

"Is all well at Pelikan?"

From a business perspective, the simple answere is in your post.:

"...Pelikan are putting their prices up for the second time this year, with effect from Monday." and "I also believe Pelikan have not been able to fulfil all the dealers' pre-orders for the M101N Red Tortoiseshell " I think this is the classice description of the law of supply and demand. More demand usually equates to higher prices. (thinkof the housngf 'bubble') Now if demand drops off I think we can expect some new pens to be discounted, or at least that we won't see additional across the board price increases. So if you want to put downward pressure on Pelikan pen prices, ... stop buying them! (that sure sounds goofy, doesn't it?)

As for buying vintage to get lower prices, have you priced a vintage red tortoise lately? If on the other hand we mean 'used' vs 'vintage' then there is the possibility of getting a quality Pelikan pen at reduced cost.

I am hoping the M101n red tortoise goes the way ofthe M101n Lizard ( reduced price w/in a year of release). I suspect it is more likely to hold it's price fairly well as has the M101n brown tortoise. Either way, I am sitting on the fence for now.

Disappointing as I love Pelikan pens. Then again price increases are always going to happen. I remember hearing about M600s for under $200 and was cursing myself for not getting funds for one earlier. Fortunately I have a decent flock already but I've still wanted to add a M1000 to my collection...

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

Dang! A great post if I do say so myself, but not worth saying twice.

Edited by DrCodfish

I'm wondering if it could be that Pelikan is not increasing the list price but just reducing the margin for the sellers. Since Niche pens are typically selling the Pelikans quite a lot below list price they would be rather sensitive to such I change I would guess...

I love my Pelikans and am sorry to see them getting so expensive.

It may also be that pelikan pens uk wants to make a little more profit...

No problem their current price of a M1000 is about 100 euros lower as some other companies at current euro/pound rate

Cybaea I love my M800.... I want more pelikans.... fill a complete bird house

Pfooo American prices are steep

MB rip off

~Epic

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I know how you feel, but we can all dream.

Yep, hope comes when you dream! I'm dreaming, still am...

~Epic

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Fortunately I have a decent flock already but I've still wanted to add a M1000 to my collection...

Use the price rise as an excuse to get it before Monday! :D The springy M1000 nibs are the modern nibs I enjoy the most.

My little modern flock:

fpn_1408180615__2014-08-16-pelikans.jpg

fpn_1411636870__pelikan-starlight-1.jpg

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

This is a real shame. It was the affordability of Pelikan's as compared to some other luxury brands that first attracted me to them. This is certainly no longer one of their selling points and I think it will ultimately be to the company's detriment.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

This is a real shame. It was the affordability of Pelikan's as compared to some other luxury brands that first attracted me to them. This is certainly no longer one of their selling points and I think it will ultimately be to the company's detriment.

+1

Not to mention they got rid of specialty nibs like O3B, that was what differentiated them from the others too...

I guess when you're trying to go upmarket, that's what you do: raise prices, reduce offerings...

More Veblen goods then, like a certain Major Brand.

Perhaps these companies should realise that there are actually people who use fountain pens, and not merely buy them as status symbols.

~Epic

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

+1

Not to mention they got rid of specialty nibs like O3B, that was what differentiated them from the others too...

I guess when you're trying to go upmarket, that's what you do: raise prices, reduce offerings...

More Veblen goods then, like a certain Major Brand.

Perhaps these companies should realise that there are actually people who use fountain pens, and not merely buy them as status symbols.

~Epic

Agreed but we should remember that another Major Brand has put up their prices this year!

Peter