Pelikan 21 Silvexa Information?

cellardoor04

Hi all,

I recently came across a "Pelikan 21 Silvexa piston filler with 585 OB gold nib". Do you guys have any information on this pen, about its history and place in the lineup at the time? I tried Google but didn't get very far. Thanks in advance!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cellardoor04

• Redbarchettayyz

• Ernst Bitterman

• siopaopei

I've got a little bit of a page worked up (the 20 and the 21 are much the same, just different in cap texture), and there's more here. I've an M30 with a BB point that is a delight to use-- if the oblique slant of an OB doesn't trouble you, that sounds like an excellent pen to grab.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Hi Ernst, thanks for the info! I saw on your page that these pens have some problems with leaking, how would one fix that? And what would be a reasonable price for the pen, do you think?

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I've been looking into some of the more "vintage" Pelikans lately, and these are definitely appealing, they remind me of the 60s MB 14,24,34, etc. line, which I adore. Thanks for the trove of information Ernst!

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

Hi Ernst, thanks for the info! I saw on your page that these pens have some problems with leaking, how would one fix that? And what would be a reasonable price for the pen, do you think?

As as dribbling goes, be very certain to take in a little air at the end of the fill; I may have overstated the problem on the site, as it's more a case of being very sensitive to a flooded feed than a proclivity to leak. I would, though, NEVER call it a good candidate for air travel.

I'm far from an arbiter of prices, and I've picked up the ones I've got at bargain prices. I'm willing to be called wrong on this: depending on the trim, anywhere from $50 to $100 would be a good price for a well-preserved example, although the 60 and 100 would be rather more expensive.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

As as dribbling goes, be very certain to take in a little air at the end of the fill; I may have overstated the problem on the site, as it's more a case of being very sensitive to a flooded feed than a proclivity to leak. I would, though, NEVER call it a good candidate for air travel.

I'm far from an arbiter of prices, and I've picked up the ones I've got at bargain prices. I'm willing to be called wrong on this: depending on the trim, anywhere from $50 to $100 would be a good price for a well-preserved example, although the 60 and 100 would be rather more expensive.

I'll play around with it so I don't have an inksplosion on my hands :lol:

Great, I got the OB nib toward the lower spectrum of your range! Just have to wait for it to be shipped. The M30 looks beautiful as well, but seems to be commanding a much higher price.

I've been looking into some of the more "vintage" Pelikans lately, and these are definitely appealing, they remind me of the 60s MB 14,24,34, etc. line, which I adore. Thanks for the trove of information Ernst!

Oh dear, what have you done! I have been looking all day at MB 24s and 34s, like this: :wub: Haha!

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I'll play around with it so I don't have an inksplosion on my hands :lol:

Great, I got the OB nib toward the lower spectrum of your range! Just have to wait for it to be shipped. The M30 looks beautiful as well, but seems to be commanding a much higher price.

Oh dear, what have you done! I have been looking all day at MB 24s and 34s, like this: :wub: Haha!

Go for it, they're excellent pens! Plus, it's only fair, since thanks to this topic I just snagged a Pelikan 20 Silvexa!

Go for it, they're excellent pens! Plus, it's only fair, since thanks to this topic I just snagged a Pelikan 20 Silvexa!

They're on my wishlist! They seem to be going for much higher than the Pelikans. Nice going on the Silvexa! Remember to update this thread with pics when you get yours! :lol:

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

They're on my wishlist! They seem to be going for much higher than the Pelikans. Nice going on the Silvexa! Remember to update this thread with pics when you get yours! :lol:

Definitely will, I'm really looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

http://i58.tinypic.com/n62r5y.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/j5hu7t.jpg

What a lovely pen :wub: The piston is a little stiff, though. I can unscrew the blind cap and take out the whole piston, but it comes out retracted, not extended, so I don't know how to grease that up. It still works, just a little tough.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Looks great, lovely Pelikan! Glad to hear that it's a great writer. Mine is being transferred to the post office for pickup today, so I'll have it either today or tomorrow.

With a newer one like that, beware of putting too much pressure on the point. There seems to be an inherent flaw in the molding at the front of the section, and I've seen several Pelikans of this shape with cracks extending from the corners of the hoodlet.

That aside: Mmmmm, that's nice.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

http://i.imgur.com/FoS6ik7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xmnrmmnl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ayhc7YVl.jpg

Mine came in today, haven't had a chance to ink it yet, but I did check it out, and it is in great shape. Gave it a quick dip too, that nib. Wow.

Mine came in today, haven't had a chance to ink it yet, but I did check it out, and it is in great shape. Gave it a quick dip too, that nib. Wow.

Gorgeous! Is that a F nib? I really like how the barrel tapers down into the point of the nib, it's very sleek and sharp.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Gorgeous! Is that a F nib? I really like how the barrel tapers down into the point of the nib, it's very sleek and sharp.

Yep, F nib. Agreed on the taper, it is pretty cool. Going to ink it up tonight probably and give it a spin.

Wow, that is a pretty pen. really good condition.

http://i58.tinypic.com/n62r5y.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/j5hu7t.jpg

What a lovely pen :wub: The piston is a little stiff, though. I can unscrew the blind cap and take out the whole piston, but it comes out retracted, not extended, so I don't know how to grease that up. It still works, just a little tough.

dscn3015.jpg

Some are thin, some are fat.... :thumbup:

*Sigh* I would love a BB or OBB :wub:

Wow, that is a pretty pen. really good condition.

Thank you! :)

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Finally gave it a flush and inked it up, this is an incredibly fun pen to write with! I love the feedback on the fine nib, very engaging to write with IMO. Inked it up with J Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean and it lays down a nice wet line full of character.

http://i.imgur.com/3231nUjl.jpg

Oh dear, a sad thing happened today...I unscrewed the piston from my pen in order to clean the pen out, and when I went to screw it on, the piston wouldn't "latch" and extend into the pen, I just kept hearing a clicking noise as I turn it counter-clockwise. When I unscrewed it again to take it out, I saw there was a big crack under the knob and above the piston. I suppose I need to find a replacement now!! Sigh... :(

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!