Pelikan Gold Nib

bracer028

I'm actually amazed at how soft this gold nib writes compared to the stainless steel nib.

However, how come the gold Bold Nib is wider than the stainless steel nib?

Also, the gold nib is moving from its seating when i put too much pressure on it when writing. is there a way to mount this better and keep it from moving

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bracer028

• ac12

• risingsun

• FedericoMedina

Top Posters In This Topic

Need more information on the 'loose' nib. Might we be talking about a vintage 400NN? It is possible the nib unit collar is cracked/broken, which could result in a loose nib.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

The nib just shifts a bit to the side when writing. When it did, i jsut had to get a tissue and move it back to the middle.

I don't see any cracks or anything. Its a dual color gold/silver color nib. Not sure if that is considered vintage.

Try using less pressure. It is possible you are putting a little too much pressure causing shifting in the nib.

The nib just shifts a bit to the side when writing. When it did, i jsut had to get a tissue and move it back to the middle.

I don't see any cracks or anything. Its a dual color gold/silver color nib. Not sure if that is considered vintage.

What model pen are you using?

It could very well be that you are pressing too hard. Fountain pens are not the same as ball pens and need only light pressure to write.

Also, the gold nib is moving from its seating when i put too much pressure on it when writing. is there a way to mount this better and keep it from moving

Simple, don't put too much pressure on the nib.

As has been said, a FP does not need ANY pressure to write. It can write just with the weight of the pen.

You should use the least amount of downward pressure possible. If this is your first FP, you should/need to practice writing with both a loose grip and a light hand (downward pressure). This may take you a while to retrain your hand to write this way, but it is better for your writing.

If you cannot write with a light hand, then you need to use a HARD stainless steel nib, to prevent damaging the nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Simple, don't put too much pressure on the nib.

As has been said, a FP does not need ANY pressure to write. It can write just with the weight of the pen.

You should use the least amount of downward pressure possible. If this is your first FP, you should/need to practice writing with both a loose grip and a light hand (downward pressure). This may take you a while to retrain your hand to write this way, but it is better for your writing.

If you cannot write with a light hand, then you need to use a HARD stainless steel nib, to prevent damaging the nib.

Yea i may be too used to writing with stainless steel nibs

Yea i may be too used to writing with stainless steel nibs

A HEAVY hand is typical of ball pen users, where you have to press hard to write with some/many of the pens.

You probably did not change you hand when you first used a FP.

I only partially changed in college, I had a light hand but a TIGHT grip. That tight grip gave me hand cramp for all the years I was in college.

Now I have a light hand and a light grip.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The tip is broad, not bold. Is the steel nib also a broad? The gold one is broader because Pelikan is not consistent between steel and gold. Either the tips are too broad on the gold, or the marks aren't broad enough. But it's usually like that, so people know what to do when switching between steel and gold.

Hold the pen, like holding a featherless baby bird.

:angry: Do not make baby bird paste.

In Advanced Search, look up 'Tripod' & 'Death Grip'. I suffered with that for 50 years. I use the 'forefinger up' method, which is mentioned in both of those threads.

It is an automatic light grip.

Tripod can take months to learn to grip lightly....'forefinger up' my term takes three minutes to learn.

If you look up 'forefinger up', and Bo Bo Olson you can find a few posts on that....

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hold the pen, like holding a featherless baby bird.

:angry: Do not make baby bird paste.

In Advanced Search, look up 'Tripod' & 'Death Grip'. I suffered with that for 50 years. I use the 'forefinger up' method, which is mentioned in both of those threads.

It is an automatic light grip.

Tripod can take months to learn to grip lightly....'forefinger up' my term takes three minutes to learn.

If you look up 'forefinger up', and Bo Bo Olson you can find a few posts on that....

:lticaptd: I LOVE the phrase "baby bird paste". So evocative.

And I might recommend *not* looking up "middle finger up" although I certainly *thought* it.... Apparently my mind is in the gutter today. :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."