Mont Blanc Nibs Compared To Other Nibs

Lamb South

I am sure this has been covered in another thread but I have been unable to find it in the FPN.

How is the thickness of the lines drawn of MB nibs compared to other manufacturer's nibs. Is it thicker, thinner or no difference?

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lamb South

• jar

• BrandonA

• Chu0009

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jar. Is a medium nib typically a good nib to start with as a first time FP buyer?

Lamb South

MB's nibs are all hand ground so there is variation. If you go to a Montblanc Boutique you should be able to test out some nibs to see what you prefer. However, if you are getting a vintage pen, the nib may have a very different feel and will most likely be softer or more flexible than a modern nib. M is the most common size but many people have specific preferences (I prefer broad nibs or stubs). The only way you will know will be if you try some out.

Good advice 😸

I did try a couple of Pilot Metropolitan pens this morning but was not sure how they would compare to MB nibs

Edited by Lamb South

Lamb South

It's really impossible to say how any individual nib will write. Generally, I have found Montblancs M nibs to be very smooth and similar in width to the European Ms. Montblancs B nibs tend to be very stubby, with a lot of line variation, which sets them apart from most other manufacturers. The only F nib that I have tried was very similar to the M nibs in my collection. I suspect it was subtly thinner, just not enough to make an obvious difference.

Go try it at the boutiques and you can get a rough feel of what size nibs you'd prefer. They do offer nib exchange programs for you if you don't like the size of your nib.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Thanks Jar. Is a medium nib typically a good nib to start with as a first time FP buyer?

I would say yes.

If you buy a new pen from a boutique you will have the ability to change the nib within a certain number of weeks should it not suit you. I'd therefore get a medium, try it for a week or so. If you're not happy get a free nib exchange.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Agree with above comments.

first timers with FP, Nib "m" size to a good start.

I have a 144 "B" nib and it writes very smooth. I got the boutique to exchange it. MB broad is very broad compared with pelikan (m205/ 200) "B" when I compared it.

It is difficult to universally compare nib sizes between different brands and between Japannese and European, for example.

There is a Montblanc boutique on one of the Peachtrees in Buckhead and also out at Hartsfield in Maynard's terminal IIRC. There you will be able to try all the different widths and styles.

My Website

Thanks for all the good advice.

I just ordered the JFK and have a shot to purchase a used WE Dumas. I ordered the JFK in medium and the Dumas has a medium nib.

I appreciate all the help.

Lamb South