Collecting Conway Stewarts - Where To Start?

esterbrookj

Hi Evan...here's a little comparison for you.

15234581667_14280641a8_o.jpg

L to R...Esterbrook SJ, Esterbrook J, CS 58, CS 84, CS 85L, Waterman Ici Et La, CS Dinkie 570, CS Dinkie 560, CS Dinkie 550, CS Dinkie 540.

As you can see, the 58 is only a tad larger than the Estie J, while the Dinkies are much smaller.

Personally, I've never really taken to the Dinkie as a user pen, but (like all vintage Conway Stewarts) they're great fun to collect.

I take it you like your reds? Why not start with a collection of that colour then, dipping into the various types and models, as you go along.

Malc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• esterbrookj

• soapytwist

• pjford

Hi Evan...here's a little comparison for you.

15234581667_14280641a8_o.jpg

L to R...Esterbrook SJ, Esterbrook J, CS 58, CS 84, CS 85L, Waterman Ici Et La, CS Dinkie 570, CS Dinkie 560, CS Dinkie 550, CS Dinkie 540.

As you can see, the 58 is only a tad larger than the Estie J, while the Dinkies are much smaller.

Personally, I've never really taken to the Dinkie as a user pen, but (like all vintage Conway Stewarts) they're great fun to collect.

I take it you like your reds? Why not start with a collection of that colour then, dipping into the various types and models, as you go along.

Malc

Loving the cracked ice 58 Malc. Often thought about getting one although they do command a premium.

Edited by adyf

If you are thinking of becoming a serious collector of Conway Stewart fountain pens try to get your hands on a copy of the definitive book on Conway Stewart, Stephen Hull's "Fountain Pens for the Million, The History of Conway Stewart 1905-2005". It's a real treat and a good read; chock-a-block with beautiful photographs. My favourite vintage models are the 58 and 100 and my favourite colours are the blue, red and green herringbones.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

We are a British maker, although very small. In fact we make more in the UK than most people realise. Sixty percent of our models are made entirely in the UK, ten percent in Germany and the balance are made in the Far East. The volume of sales are from adapted Far East sourced pens, however the nibs are completely recreated in our own workshop based in Ruislip in England. We originally got the idea from manufacturers like Cross and Sheaffer, they closed their own production and had their entire product line made overseas. We just took the idea and did it from scratch. We keep much closer to the origins of Conway Stewart, who made high quality, moderately priced pens, rather than the high end models that they produced after they were reincarnated.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Hi mr Ford... you forgot to mention the name..... though most people know it is Italix.

I wonder why you have not made a signature file with a link to your website.

That is allowed, even if you are not a premium member...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Modern CS Churchill or 2005 CS 100

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

My favorite colors so far? Red herringbone, rose marble, and cracked ice.

Oh my, bad luck on your part: the herringbone and ice patterns are some of the more rare, sought-after pens, and will cause you to pay higher prices. I agree: the 58 is a very nice pen to start with, and leave the Dinkies until after you have a couple of full-size pens to play with and/or admire.

Two suggestions:

• Try Deb at Goodwriters Pen Sales - she has a small inventory but knows her CS pens, and sells them at fair prices.
  • If you can find a copy of Fountain Pens for the Million; the History of Conway Stewart: 1905-2005 (English Pen Manufacturers and Their Products) Hardcover – November 1, 2010 by Stephen Hull. Not an inexpensive book, but perhaps an interlibrary loan? Anyway, great resource for browsing.

ETA: Dang, I just saw that someone else mentioned the book... oh well!

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hi mr Ford... you forgot to mention the name..... though most people know it is Italix.

I wonder why you have not made a signature file with a link to your website.

That is allowed, even if you are not a premium member...

D.ick

Thank you for the tip, have made the adjustment.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Thanks for all the tips/advice/suggestions everyone. I really appreciate it.

Malc, that is a beautiful pen collection. Still not convinced that I should avoid Dinkies as writers, at least not until I try one, but I'll hold off until I get something like a 58.

-Evan

Thanks for all the tips/advice/suggestions everyone. I really appreciate it.

Malc, that is a beautiful pen collection. Still not convinced that I should avoid Dinkies as writers, at least not until I try one, but I'll hold off until I get something like a 58.

-Evan

Nice one Evan. The best way is to try it out for yourself.

Good luck with sourcing a 58.

Malc