Collecting Conway Stewarts - Where To Start?

esterbrookj

Until recently, I had always discounted Conway Stewarts as being a "modern" brand. Not that there is anything wrong with a modern pen per se; indeed, newer pens like the Sheaffer Targa are among my all-time favorites. But in general I feel that vintage pens are more aesthetically appealing and utilize more attractive colors.

Well, it turns out that Conway Stewart is not just a "modern" brand(I should have known that)! It is actually pretty old, and as such, there is a plethora of vintage pens from which to choose.

Reading up on them, I must admit that I am entranced by the lovely colors and patterns found on many old Conway Stewarts.

So my question is: where should I start? I would really enjoy picking up a few of these pens, but there are many kinds and I don't know where to begin collecting. Any suggestions? Where do you guys buy your Conways?

Thanks,

-Evan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• esterbrookj

• soapytwist

• Matlock

I'd start with a 58 myself. They're the 'Parker 51' of CS output - fairly thick on the ground, made at the peak of the company's fortunes, plenty of different colours and good writers with their Duro nibs. Also not so outrageously expensive that you wouldn't consider using one every day.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

I'd start with a 58 myself. They're the 'Parker 51' of CS output - fairly thick on the ground, made at the peak of the company's fortunes, plenty of different colours and good writers with their Duro nibs. Also not so outrageously expensive that you wouldn't consider using one every day.

Agreed, they are excellent fountain pens

+2

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I am assuming by the Esterbrook handle that you might want an affordable CS collection. The CS58 is a nice pen, but many sell for well over £100.

You might want to consider the CS15 / CS75 range for an attractive yet relatively cheap option (typically £20 - £30 each);

or the older model the CS479 which came in a good range of colours and are a good sized, well built item (typically £35 - £55)

These two suggestions are not in vogue, so there are bargains to be had.

Great, thanks for the help guys. Yes, I generally look for more affordable options in the fountain pen realm - they are often just as good as the expensive pens.

-Evan

I've bought some nice vintage CS pens on eBay from a couple of blokes across the pond. Their pens are always quite nice, but sometimes carry a bit of a premium in bidding. I'm not sure if FPN rules about commercialization allow me to name them here, but if you send me an email or PM, I'll be glad to give you their eBay IDs.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Look for a model with a no.5 or Duro nib , these are the higher end models. Personally I'd recommend spending a bit more for a top model with CS with the likes of the already mentioned 58 to which I'd add the 60 ,60L, 27 and a favorite of mine the 76.

I also recommend the slightly older 55 with a Duro nib. I like mine, and I have the 58 also. Both are fine examples of the vintage CS pens.

I find they are nearly all sweet writers....Hard to pick, I personally like my 286 in the beautiful "autumn leaves" colour....

Depending on what you are prepared to pay, one interesting project would be to obtain the 58 in it's three forms. The original model, the one produced by the re-incarnated CS in 1998 and the one produced just before the latest CS ceased trading. Could be quite expensive but would make a worthwile long term "want list".

Peter

Also consider the 77 which is a large Duro pen like the 58 or 60 models but is not so well known and tend to be cheaper. Sometimes.

Hello Evan.

Some excellent suggestions here. :thumbup:

While you've been browsing and reading up on CS, have you come across a pen you like the look of, or a particular colour / pattern? What about size, too?

Malc

Hello Malc,

My favorite colors so far? Red herringbone, rose marble, and cracked ice. The 58 certainly appeals to me; it has simple lines that remind of an Esterbrook(another favorite pen of mine). I am a little curious about the Dinkies, too. They are apparently a bit small, but small writing instruments can be nice. I have large hands, but I have never felt the need for an extra large pen.

-Evan

Actually, as a side note, has anyone here used one of the Dinkies? Are they too small? They seem to me like they'd make an ideal pocket pen. They look somewhat similar in size to the Lady Sheaffer pens. I have one of those, and it feels good in the hand, but the finish is too fragile and feminine for my tastes.

-Evan

Actually, as a side note, has anyone here used one of the Dinkies? Are they too small? They seem to me like they'd make an ideal pocket pen. They look somewhat similar in size to the Lady Sheaffer pens. I have one of those, and it feels good in the hand, but the finish is too fragile and feminine for my tastes.

-Evan

Hi

I don't have the exact measurements, but these are real small. Think Waterman Ici-et-la. (but totally different shape)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Depending on what you are prepared to pay, one interesting project would be to obtain the 58 in it's three forms. The original model, the one produced by the re-incarnated CS in 1998 and the one produced just before the latest CS ceased trading. Could be quite expensive but would make a worthwile long term "want list".

Interesting suggestion Matlock. I have several of the original 58 pens in many of the different colours. I also have the one issued by the new Company but I didn't buy the last one produced just befor CS ceased trading. I kept on looking at the last incarnation of this lovely pen but left it too long :(

Interesting suggestion Matlock. I have several of the original 58 pens in many of the different colours. I also have the one issued by the new Company but I didn't buy the last one produced just befor CS ceased trading. I kept on looking at the last incarnation of this lovely pen but left it too long :(

I believe that Write Here still have one left.

Peter