5 Reasons To Use Fountain Pens

Kuscer

Have you ever heard: ''Why do you use fountain pens when ballpoints are so much less hassle?''

Or this: ''How do you have the energy to clean your pens and buy all those inks?''

Or simply: ''Why are you so into fountain pens?''

The answer is not just one, but many. So, here are the top reasons to use a FP for anyone who is thinking of getting into FP's but is just not sure or just for common reading.

1. They don't cause cramps

2. You write nicer with a fountain pen and one might even improve how your handwriting looks

3. The ink flow is nicer which allows you to apply less or no pressure when you write

4. Nib size varieties; you can customize how think your lines will be

5. They are reliable, durable and beautiful and also offer a great grip and feel when held

Edited by FP189

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• XiaoMG

• pmhudepo

• preciousmetal

• masterguns

For me:

1. The ink choices.

2. Less hand fatigue when writing (I haven't gotten ridden of my death grip, but it's better).

3. The ink choices.

4. Stub/italic nibs.

5. They're just cool. (also, the ink choices).

So many inks, so little time...

The feel of the pen on the paper.

The sound of the pen writing on paper

The look of the ink on the paper.

How a fountain pen makes me feel while writing or drawing.

Fountain pens are little works of art. Useful, elegant jewelry.

Truthfully the thing that annoys me the most is idea of the perfect pen. The idea of a pen that was right in every aspect and will be the pen you will use for the rest of your life. I don't think it is unreachable however finding one that doesn't skimp in some aspect or isn't quite right is as rare as hens teeth.

Edited by The Blue Knight

The feel of the pen on the paper.

The sound of the pen writing on paper

The look of the ink on the paper.

How a fountain pen makes me feel while writing or drawing.

Fountain pens are little works of art. Useful, elegant jewelry.

All this. Add to that the range of inks available - so many gorgeous shades to choose from. I love art and I'm interested in beautiful, functional design and fountain pens exemplify both. They just enhance the experience of writing (and yes, makes it easier because there's no fatigue). It really is the little things.

It makes me feel good.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

More comfortable to write with

Non-disposable tool

Choice of inks

Grants your entry in one of the nicest community of aficionados

Possibility to relate to your tool by maintaining and mastering it

1. They make writing enjoyable

2. They improve my writing

3. The ink choices

4. Less fatigue on my hand

5. No one wants to borrow my pen

In the order that mattered to me (least initially).

1) Easier on my hands, less strain/cramping

2) Easier to write with at a more natural angle (ie: 30-45 degree ish, rather than 70 to 90) as some of the ballpoints or roller balls didn't seem to like the angle.

3) Overall smoother with far more choices of size and "feel".

4) Far more ink options (color, properties like waterproofness etc) that can easily be changed

5) Fun and showing off.

For me:

1. I can customise my pen and ink just the way I want it. And I do want many things, so I end up having an italic nib, German, Italian, Chinese, Indian pens...

2. It makes writing more pleasurable! I'm always looking for chances to write nowadays ;)

3. The FP community is awesome. Two of my best friends share this in common with me, and it makes our friendship even stronger.

4. It's economical in the long run. A bottle of Pelikan 4001 costs less than four bucks here, but will last me upwards of a year.

5. It goes back to historical roots. I like to imagine the stories behind pens and how many important documents were written and signed with a fountain pen.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

1. fountain pens appeal to my snobbery.

2. Fountain pens are fun to use.

3. There are enough variations between pens that fountain pens never get boring.

4. The money spent on collecting fountain pens makes me concentrate on improving my handwriting.

5. Fountain pens have lead me to other interests anhydrous hobbies. Letter writing, stamp collecting, typewriters, and writing in general.

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Gorgeous jewels in a tray on my desk. Writing with a fountain pen for me works like meditation. Renewing.

Inks! The colors!

Amen to ac12, "It makes me feel good."

"I'm punishing myself."

Just kidding. Usually, I'll say something along the lines of "They're fun" or "I like them." Most people aren't looking for a dissertation on my choice of writing utensil. It's more along the lines of questions like, "Why don't you drive to work?" or "Why did you buy such a small house?" They're not actually interested in a reason, just expressing disapproval that I've chosen to be different in some way.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!