Namiki Nippon

willow92

Hey everybody, i am hoping some people can give me some further info.

I am interested in purchasing a Namiki Nippon art collection dragon with cumulus 60279.

It is on Amazon but i am not sure if posting links to pens for sale is allowed.

I really want to own a maki-e fountain pen, but i use my pens everyday at work or at home, i dont want to purchase a pen to look at or collect.

To me i want something interesting, unique, good quality, within my means financially, beautiful to hold look at and write with.

I believe writing is becoming a lost skill, and when i write i like to do so with a pen that puts as much effort into the subject as i do.

With that being said most Maki-e's are so exquisite that i would feel silly pulling them out at work, almost like driving a car with graphic pictures all over it.

I feel the pen ive listed is just the right amount of art for me, but i would like peoples pictures if they have any as i cant find any detailed pictures.

I would also like peoples thoughts on this pen as an everyday carry, i like my pens to become personal, and expect them to age, for example, yellowing scratching ect are fine, finish wearing off completely or separation of glued or threaded parts is not.

Thoughts and pictures please.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willow92

• Icywolfe

• Algester

• PabloAU

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Icywolfe,

Do you mean that in your opinion the "Namiki Nippon art collection" and the "Wancher Makie PLT 5000" are of simmilar quality and value???

The pen i am looking at is 400 and some change and while exspensive it is within my budget, i am interested in peoples photos of this pen and their knowledge or predictions of using it as a daily writer.

Hi Willow92. I agree with the advice to check out Engieka (no affiliation) to see what you can get from Japan, as there will likely be better prices and also a broader selection of choice. Make sure you sign up if you're not already an Engeika member, as the Pilot/Namiki products aren't shown to the public. There are also a range of Platinum make-e pens available there. I like this one ($234):

post-115801-0-96960400-1412024780_thumb.jpg

You can expect anything under $500 or so to be at least partially screen printed, not fully hand-painted. Urushi is pretty resilient stuff. I'd be comfortable using the pen you've found daily, but I'd make sure I kept it in a pouch - never thrown in a bag with keys or other objects unprotected.

As for the Wancher, I wouldn't think it'd be in the same ballpark. Check out some pics of it and make up your own mind. IMO it's great if you're on a budget, but if you have a little more money to spend there are FAR better options available.

Thanks PabloAU, Thats a nice looking pen.

I wear a polo shirt everyday at work and clip the pen in between the 2 collar buttons so that the end of the cap is just visible sticking out of the shirt (don't know if that makes any sense)

I would be comfortable spending up to 800 on a decent maki-e so i will take a look at that site, or if you have any suggestions post em up.

Thanks PabloAU, Thats a nice looking pen.

I wear a polo shirt everyday at work and clip the pen in between the 2 collar buttons so that the end of the cap is just visible sticking out of the shirt (don't know if that makes any sense)

I would be comfortable spending up to 800 on a decent maki-e so i will take a look at that site, or if you have any suggestions post em up.

If you have large budget then you should check here:

http://www.nakaya.org/en/

#Nope

Engeika has some nice maki-e pens (not the screen printed stuff) starting from 400 and going up from there. Also check some Sailor variants.

For a more subtle option - the Platinum Dragon and Tiger are really amazing. I have the Tiger and i cannot praise it enough.

For a bling option - the Sailor Kinrei. Gold, baby, gold. It is actually quite nice in person - not subtle for sure, but not gauche either.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.