How To Find Fountain Pen Shows In The Pacific Nw

miatagrrl

Hello! This so-called "frequently asked questions" section seems kind of idiosyncratic, :-) and I guess I'll add my idiosyncracy, since I can't figure out where else to ask this. (Please forgive me if it's been asked a hundred times before--I really did try to search first.) How can I find out if there is a pen show within 150 miles from me (Seattle)? Conversely, is there a pen show anywhere in the world that is worth getting on a plane for? I'm not a professional or even a serious collector -- just would like some eye candy and geek time with other pen geeks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miatagrrl

• FarmBoy

• Ecriveur

• SockAddict

Top Posters In This Topic

When you find out, hollar. Seattle had one some years back but nothing recently. I would love one here in Portland, but I will gladly roll I-5 to Seattle for one.

The two biggest pens show in the US are the LA and DC Pen Shows. Maybe you should plan a trip to Southern California. It's being held February 12-15 at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. I just got my first mailing about it. The DC Show isn't until August. San Francisco is also having a pen show in August, but it's not as big as the LA and DC shows.

Here's the link to the LA Show.

http://www.lainternationalpenshow.com/

Susan Wirth maintains a list of all the US pen shows. Here is a link to that.

Pen Show Schedule

Hope you get to attend one. They are lots of fun.

Edited by sharon888

• 3 months later...

I decided I am going to the L.A. show next month! It will be my first time at any pen show, and I'm not sure what to expect. I was told there might be an FAQ or some other document related to "how to shop at a pen show," but I haven't been able to find anything like that. Suggestions?

I live in Los Angeles and I've been to the past 2 LA pen shows so I'm pretty familiar with them if you have any specific questions. I'll be going to it again next month as well.

I decided I am going to the L.A. show next month! It will be my first time at any pen show, and I'm not sure what to expect. I was told there might be an FAQ or some other document related to "how to shop at a pen show," but I haven't been able to find anything like that. Suggestions?

The LA show is a good choice.

Some other events:

There is a pen gathering in Portland in July around the time of a big antique fair. Try contacting Micheal McNeil at Northwest Pen Works for details.

Susan Wirth hosts a pen show calendar. (just google her name)

There is also a pen show in San Francisco (Redwood City) in August. I'm biased but last year in SF was the best pen show I've ever hosted.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I live in Los Angeles and I've been to the past 2 LA pen shows so I'm pretty familiar with them if you have any specific questions. I'll be going to it again next month as well.

I'm not even sure what to ask. . . will it be hugely crowded and hard to see products? Will I be able to try out a few nibs I'm interested in? Does Sailor usually or ever have a booth there? Would love to see and try some of their specialty nibs.

I'm not even sure what to ask. . . will it be hugely crowded and hard to see products? Will I be able to try out a few nibs I'm interested in? Does Sailor usually or ever have a booth there? Would love to see and try some of their specialty nibs.

Google 'Altec Green' + 'Pen Show Report'

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

There is a pen gathering in Portland in July around the time of a big antique fair. Try contacting Micheal McNeil at Northwest Pen Works for details.

There's a what? And it's when? I'm already about triple-booked that weekend! Augh!

Edit: Whoops. Wrong weekend, wrong antique show.

But Northwest Pen Works shows that the website hasn't been updated since '04? Can that be right?

Edited by SockAddict

The last day of the show is the only day on which it is open to people with general admission passes. On that day it is very crowded so I wouldn't recommend attending only on that day. Instead, what many people do (including me), is get an exhibitor pass that enables you to attend on every day of the show, instead of just the last day. It's not much more money, you don't actually have to be an exhibitor to get this pass and the show is much, much less crowded on the earlier days.

As to trying particular pens or nibs, that will depend on the individual vendor. Some of them certainly will allow that as I did that last year before purchasing a Sailor 1911.

I don't recall Sailor itself having a booth there when I attended though there are certainly vendors who will be selling Sailor pens.

There is a Japanese guy who flies out from Japan for the show ever year (or at least the last 2 years I've been there). He will custom make a wood pen for you during the show, your choice of wood (he's got 3 or 4 options) for any Japanese pen. So you could, for example, take the nib section from a Sailor 1911 and he'll make a wood body into which you can insert that nib section so you'll have a new, unique pen. It's quite an interesting concept if you're into that sort of thing.