Suggestions For Vacuum Filled Demonstrator W/ Gold Nib?

TREBFPN

Please, I need help finding a vacuum fill fountain pen with a gold nib and a clear (non colored) demonstrator type body. I recently ran into a brand new Pilot Custom 823 and found that the need to loosen the end of the pen to create ink flow to be a slight annoyance. It was with an FA nib which I wanted to love but the larger Falcon type nib design often caused railroading and skipping despite the Namiki ink and the Clairefontaine paper. I have always dreamt of owning a bicolored nib but that is the least important need in the way of preferences. I suppose the soft flex of a pen nib will be a most desirable element and a 14k gold soft flex cannot be ignored here. A wet noodle would be a gorgeous item but I am afraid there is no such thing in today's "new" market. A clear transparency and large ink volume is a must because that allows for the easy identification of the ink color and view of any possible sediment; the long lasting writing/drawing time with the least interruption from constant filling is important. I tend to use a lot of ink when drawing and the advantage of using a nib vs a brush is there is little worry of the hairs drying together or falling out - - the less maintenance is always the better. I will easily sacrifice the flex of the brush for the slightly greater stiffness of a gold nib. I will take a piston fill instead of a vacuum filled fountain pen if the pen nib is worth the trade off but a vacuum filled fountain pen is preferrable basically because I enjoy that filling process...it is a bit mesmerizing and I need my toys. Please tell me of any ideas and pens that might fit near or precisely within this long but simple description? Many thanks ahead of time.

Edited by TREBFPN

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TREBFPN

• loily

• tonybelding

• fpconvert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could get a twsbi vac 700 ans put a vintage flex nib into that. Hat quite a nice success with my 580. I'll post a picture later when I'm home.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

Somme Visconti models with palladium nibs might do the job. If you insist for the gold nib, a Visconti Voyager (several demo models) with a 14k gold nib, then nibmeisterization.

Is a vaccum filler as the Parker Vacumatic acceptable? If so, a Menlo from Edison with a flex 14k gild nib from Richard Binder would be an awesome choice.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Pilot Custom 823 and found that the need to loosen the end of the pen to create ink flow to be a slight annoyance.

From what I understand, this is a function of the vac filling system, and is in fact a feature - as an example, it makes the pen safe to fly with etc. Visconit makes a fancy double resevoir vac, but its very expensive.

It is easy to remove the seal so you don't have to unscrew the back end.

But you will still have to fiddle with the filler knob from time to time, to keep the ink flowing to the feed.

Thank you for the advice on my Pilot 823 FA nib/pen - I have tried everything at this point and will soon return or exchange it. I am looking at the other demonstrator pens suggested and I have located some of those via Google. There is a Pelikan m200 demonstrator with a 14k nib but I think my extra large hands will fit better on the m1000 version - sadly there are no other Pelikan demonstartors I have seen besides the m200 with a gold nib. Yes, my vision has sunk a little in regards to using the FA nibbed Pilot 823 and I find myself clinging onto the tried and true fountain pen models ( I know it is both weak and boring). I have also cranked my Ebay watch list via follow mode for a wet noodle or an uber flex. With all the kind suggestions I am learning to let go of my past error and stretch out to new possibilities - - Aurora to Visconti and anything else that does not pass the flexible $500.00 mark. I am always surprised by some of the limited editions and soon I will have to read up on the reviews concerning all these pens I have dog eared (not many). Please, if you think of any other pen that cuts the description feel free to post it here - I am always looking. I very much appreciate your posts and will continue my search until the winter holiday.

Edited by TREBFPN

• 5 months later...

You could get a twsbi vac 700 ans put a vintage flex nib into that. Hat quite a nice success with my 580. I'll post a picture later when I'm home.

I'm very interested in what you've done. Could you give me a few tips on how to do this, and what nibs fit best, and how to do it? I've got a twsbi mini B whose nib is drying up each time I write, so I would want to replace it with a vintage flex nib. Thanks!

So many pens, so little time.

penfiend.com