What Montblanc To Choose For A Graduation Gift?

Psd

Hi..

My husband is graduating flight school & I am looking into getting him a Montblanc pen. I know nothing about them (& we do not have a store near our area so I will have to purchase online).. What would be a good one to choose? What is the difference between the different lines?

TIA!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Psd

• LargeSofa

• SE1980

• BrandonA

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to say without knowing your husband's tastes and your budget. However, a Meisterstück 149 is always a safe bet. If he will work flying, a 147 Traveller will be a good choice too. You will also need to know the size of nib he will feel more comfortable (when in doubt usually choose a M).

Edited by HermetiC

Philly question, but does he actually like/use fountain pens? If he does I'd go for the classic 146 or 149 based on his size preference. If he doesn't like fountain pens I'd get him a Meisterstuck ballpoint.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Thank you for the replies. He is graduating military flight school. I know he has always wanted a Montblanc so I figured what better occasion? :) I will be getting him a ballpoint (as opposed to fountain).. So it's looking like the Meisterstuck 149 is a good option? Would you know if there is an option to engrave?

Thank you for the replies. He is graduating military flight school. I know he has always wanted a Montblanc so I figured what better occasion? :) I will be getting him a ballpoint (as opposed to fountain).. So it's looking like the Meisterstuck 149 is a good option? Would you know if there is an option to engrave?

The 149 is fountain pen only, The 164 would be the ball point equivalent and the 163 the roller ball. All can be engraved.

My Website

The 149 is a huge pen and depending on hand size, fitting is an issue, especially with smaller hands like mine. But ironically, I love larger pens and always adored the 149, but it's too costly for me, hence a 161 ballpoint.

The good thing about Mont Blanc engraving is that the color of the wordings can be matched according to the color scheme of the pen. For example, White wordings for platinum series, gold for gold series and rose gold for the rose gold 90 years anniversary series.

But you mentioned getting a ballpoint instead of a fountain one, can consider the 164 Classique (standard size) or the 161 Le Grand (larger size). Many people in general prefer gold over platinum but I personally prefer the later. Since it's such a special occasion on graduating from military flight school, can consider the limited 90 years anniversary rose gold series as well.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Thank you for clarifying. So a Meisterstuck 164 or 161. Any thoughts on the StarWalker Midnight Black ballpoint? It seems a little more affordable. Just wondering what the difference is.

Thank you for clarifying. So a Meisterstuck 164 or 161. Any thoughts on the StarWalker Midnight Black ballpoint? It seems a little more affordable. Just wondering what the difference is.

Not too familiar with the Starwalker series but I suppose the Midnight Black version is the most affordable of the Starwalkers, difference is the Ruthenium plated clip and fittings as compared to Platinum, Gold and Rose Gold for the Meisterstücks. The star emblem at the top of the Starwalker is of a "floating" type as compared to 'inlaid' type on the Meisterstück. Both types are of precious black resin and definitely different design types. But of course, more expensive models of each series features higher-end materials.

I would personally recommend a Meisterstück as it's the iconic series of Mont Blanc pens and I'm sure your husband will appreciate it as well.

Edited by SE1980

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Thank you!

You're welcome!

Starwalker = comtemporary. 164/161 = classic. Detends which you think would be most appeciated as a gift.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

in my humble opinion, I would suggest to buy a carbon fiber or silver fiber or hematite ballpoint off ebay...

all are meisterstuck models and less common than the standard gold/black that is often counterfeited.

something like this range... silver fiber would be more. Nothing reasonable is listed on ebay today.

not sure of budget but also super nice is czar nikolai ballpoint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-164-Solitaire-Carbon-Fiber-amp-Polished-Steel-Ballpoint-Pen-in-Box-/281447843544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41879946d8&nma=true&si=ggo9oCqebaanUfTj3iPQu%252BLkLMY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

if you see something on ebay, post it back here and get an opinion... people, including myself would be happy to help.

the ones I mentioned are not typically counterfeited and it's pretty obvious if so (so ask on the forum).

A ballpoint or rollerball is probably a good choice if he's going to be up and down in the air frequently. Fountain pens are not always happy with pressure changes and can get a bit messy.

In my opinion, the Legrand size is ideal, but you'll be best served by seeing the range in person. Any Montblanc dealer will be able to help you with engraving, though you'll be paying quite a bit more than you could get away with on eBay.

why don't we just confuse the heck out of this poor lady!!!

if the husband has wanted a mont blanc for a long time, likely he wants a meisterstuck... buy the ballpoint, I believe there is just one size, so no need to worry about anything more with that.

like I said, search for a carbion fiber, silver fiber (fibre), hematite, czar nikolai, ramses, doue, etc.

these are some of the cooler variations (albeit from the secondary market).

maybe there is more than one size... well at least don't buy a mozart size (that is a small one for a pocket)... not sure if the 164 or legrande is different size, but the pens I mentioned are pretty much the 164...