Do You Ever Wish You Only Had One Or Two Fp's Instead Of The 10's Possibly 100's?

The Blue Knight

In theory I would like to do that. I have actually given away quite a few pens to get closer to that goal. I don't have any pens I really want to buy, so I have at least hit some sort of comfortable balance. I don't know which of my 30 or so remaining pens I would get rid of, and since they hardly take up any space, I think I will stop stressing over it and just enjoy what I have.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• Paddler

• ethernautrix

• de_pen_dent

Buying and selling is a process of trial and error, we seek to find pens we like this way. Whenever I feel content with what I have o think of selling what I know I can't bear to use after dealing with preferrable pens.

I don't think I could get below 20 to 30 pens. I like a variety of nibs, materials, and makes. For me there is no need to drop down to a handful of pens, but I can understand why others might want to do so.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

No. I collect a little. That makes me happy. I have a rotation as I get bored and want change. Maybe in the future this might change, but a pen is a pen and a $35 pen does the same for me as my $100+ pens. I buy what I like. I'm more into paper, journals and inks than pens really.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

I don't have that many yet, but I could certainly see the urge to downsize if I ever go overboard. I wish I knew some pen enthusiasts nearby -- then I could try a bunch of pens (and they could try mine) without buying them, thus keeping down my curiosity purchases.

I don't have any desire to have a huge collection, but I do want to write with a bunch of different pens. It's a bit of a conundrum.

Edited by Mezzie

Never wish so... but i do limit myself to 5 inked pens daily. Higher than that, I find myself having to watch out for ink dries in pens too much.

How many times can I type no on this page!

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

It happens to me with the fountain pens like with the books. When I enter to a bookshop do not be if I will go out with a book under the arm.

If I find a fountain pen that I like I do not remember of the number that I have in house.

I've been playing around with this idea. I'm discerning becoming a Catholic priest. Your typical priest does not take a vow of poverty like the priests that belong to religious orders, but one does make a promise to live simply. If I do go to seminaryI believe that I'll be selling all but five of my fifty or so pens, as well as a very my large collection of baseball cards.

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

No, even with a Pelikan with a slew of vintage nibs....no!

There are some 45 or so nib widths and flexs....if one only goes every other width as a combo of CI & Stub.

A good selection needs at least 20-25; no one pen company ever made them all....I do like vintage in there is better nibs to be had.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Moving into a small house (672 square feet) put a lot of things into perspective for me. Books actually took up more space than pens, but, after I thinned the books, I looked at pens.

I surround myself with things I use and love. Junk I'm not sure about has no place in my house, and I mean that literally! When I consider that I'm single and this house has actually been a family home, that really puts things in perspective, especially after you take off the additions and go back to the original 400+ square foot house.

As far as pens: 2 is enough to have a writer and a spare, or two colors, or two nibs. Realistically, I like to have a few more colors and a few more nib choices. But, I worked hard about this time to seriously thin my collection. I forget numbers now, but it was a lot. Right now, I'm thinning the collection again. If I'm not using it, why keep it? If I'm only using it from guilt, why keep it? I want to be surrounded by things I love and use, not things I should be using.

I haven't set a firm number, but I am pretty ruthless with my pens. I've been reviewing pens on YouTube, but I'm planning a big PIF after I finish the reviews and work out the logistics. There are a few pens that have me on the fence, and I don't want to regret a giveaway like I did a few pens last year. (Basically, I wish I'd saved them for a giveaway the next year instead of giving them all to the art teacher: she hasn't used them.)

For me, a lot of pens isn't a good thing, just like books, chemicals, or lab equipment. (I'm also a science teacher). I want stuff that is used.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I've been playing around with this idea. I'm discerning becoming a Catholic priest. Your typical priest does not take a vow of poverty like the priests that belong to religious orders, but one does make a promise to live simply. If I do go to seminaryI believe that I'll be selling all but five of my fifty or so pens, as well as a very my large collection of baseball cards.

Hello ParkersAndPaper,

I too considered a vocation in the priesthood, (back in the early '90s). If you do pursue it and choose to divest yourself of most of your pens, (which would be a selfless and virtuous choice), make sure you hang on to the "one Lamy." ;)

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

For twenty years I had just one pen; an MB 146. Carried it every day, same brown ink. Now I have maybe 20 pens, always changing the one I carry. I don't want to get rid of my pens, but I fantasize about the days of having only one pen. I imagine this is what it was like in the days when these were working tools and you inherited your Dad's or Mom's pen instead of their 'pen collection'. That the value of a pen was based on how much it was used, how many important documents it signed.

Well it will remain a fantasy, I love pens too much and have enough resources to pursue my passion.

Rick

Threads like this seem to come up a lot, so it must be an issue on a lot of your minds. I'll basically parrot what I've said in similar threads.

I find too many things to be stressful and not freeing. I feel trapped by extra stuff if I have too much.

I do think that to find what you want in fountain pens, you have to buy a bunch. It's a process of trial-and-error in my opinion. But once you've done that, you are able to wisely shrink your collection down to a manageable number. What that number means to you is personal. For me, I'd like less than I have (I have 9 currently), but cannot get there. What I have I like too much. However, one or two would probably be ideal. Right now I have pens uninked waiting for their turn, which to me means that I have too many pens.

What I have been doing as of late, is investing more money into the pens I have and that I want to keep. If something about them isn't quite perfect for me, I'll send them off to a nibmeister.

Well...If I could find that one perfect pen then yes.

One pen to rule them all, One pen to find them,
One pen to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

What ?

I have 16 pens right now and some of them happen to rest a lot. This is why I start thinking about parting with some from time to time. I'm just afraid that if I want to get one again, I won't find such great deals as I did with them - even though I could sell them for more than what I've paid.

Every time I see some new pens that I like, I feel I should sell something at first.
The problem is that I have such a hard time choosing which one should go, that at the end nothing goes (and lately nothing comes either because of this).
I have three MB 146 and I keep thinking about selling (at least) one, but they are all different from each other - I know the one that would stay for sure though...

I would not mind if I had to live with 2 pens only, but choosing the "prefect two" would be a pain in the 'you know what'...

Choosing 1 vs many pens depends on a number of factors.

For example, In student days, a fine nib was all I needed for cheap copy paper. Now I do more personal writing and having wider nibs and stubs make the writing look much better than a tiny, thin font that used for note taking.

Now I have a much larger stationery wardrobe, and some papers like 100% cotton require wider, wetter nibs.

And funds of course were limited in student days compared to the present.

In comes down to bare utility vs the luxury of a hobby. 2 different animals.

Over my life, I have spent lots of time, ink, and paper writing nonsense, comparing how different pens and pencils write. I have filled notebooks with what is essentially jibberish. At times I think I should pitch all that, stick with one pen, and use that time for something productive. Maybe actually write something instead of worrying about what I write with. At times like that I say I should get rid of them all. But I don't. Perhaps it is a bad habit, perhaps it is some sort of relaxing escape when I am stressed to be distracted with something so trivial as what pen to use. I don't know, but I am not getting rid of any at the moment.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

No.

It's easy to amass a hoard of junk if you have no focus. If you don't like something, why keep it? Either bin it if they are really cheap or try and recoup some funds if you think it is worth the effort.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.