Nib-Paper Angle For Italics

TheRealScubaSteve

Hi all,

I am really struggling with my Monteverde Intima 1.1mm stub to get any noticeable line variation out of the pen. I find that I have to really focus on the angle of the nib - I simply draw /\ on the paper to determine the best angle of attack which is approximately 45 degrees (as with all of my other italic nibs).

Let me say first that this is my first and only stub. I also have a Pilot Plumix and several Nemosine nibs (.6 and .8mm) which I imagine are some type of cursive italic grind since they're fairly smooth. I also made my own Noodler's non-flex nib into a very large Italic (after dropping and bending it).

Is this more a trait of the stub (VERY subtle line variation) or is it my nib angle, posture, arm movement, etc.? I have always used ballpoints or gel pens in the past and tend to write more with my wrist than move my arm/shoulder. Even so, I don't find any problems with line variation with other nibs.

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• bardiir

• Mickey

• ac12

1.1mm stub is a pretty small stub nib, that will only give you a limited amount of variation, nothing calligraphy like. A crisp italic 1.1 would give you a bit more variation, you can also try an ink that is not as wet to get a finer line.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

Thanks, maybe I've just "ruined" it by making it too wet. I'll try a dryer ink out and could always make the nib a bit dryer too.

I have a 1.1 and if it is too wet, the horizontal stroke will have so much ink put down, that as was mentioned, the amount of ink overpowers the narrow horizontal stroke of the nib. So the horizontal stoke is wider than it could be with a dryer pen/ink. This is a balance that you have to achieve, wet enough to give you good ink coverage, yet dry enough that the horizontal stroke is not thick because of the volume of ink.

gud luk

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The single most important factor in getting line variation out of a stub nib is direction. The pen must point in one direction, relative to the writing line, and one direction only. For a relatively upright hand (hopefully italic), the pen should point across the writing line at 45 degrees, i.e., from 4:30 to 10:30. The second most important factor is choice of alphabets. Not all hands are created equal. Italic, Humanist, Roman, Uncial, et al., i.e., hands intended to be written with edged pens, will show the great amount of line variation. American cursive (Spencerian, Palmer and their kin) won't do so well. Third most important is ink and paper - dry and feather-free, respectively, work best.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Thanks for all of the tips. As far as my cursive alphabet is concerned, I haven't the faintest idea of what type of cursive it most closely resembles. I have just adapted my own way, I suppose, over the years. I've changed styling of some letters (most notably F and T) to mimmick writing I thought looked pretty cool.

Here's a writing sample with a Pilot Plumix (Platinum Black) and Noodler's Ahab (Chesterfield Night Sapphire) with a .6 mm Nemosine italic nib.

http://i.imgur.com/4GGVZA8s.jpg

Here's my Monteverde Intima (Noodler's Bernake Blue) with 1.1mm stub nib. Looking at the writing sample, I can see barely any line variation. I'd attribute it to too wet a nib, but the confusing part is that my /\ doodles have great line variation. It seemed like I was holding about 4:30-10:30. Perhaps +/- :30 in either direction. Is it that critical on a stub nib?

http://i.imgur.com/MD4538Ns.jpg

Thanks for all of the tips. As far as my cursive alphabet is concerned, I haven't the faintest idea of what type of cursive it most closely resembles. I have just adapted my own way, I suppose, over the years. I've changed styling of some letters (most notably F and T) to mimmick writing I thought looked pretty cool.

Here's a writing sample with a Pilot Plumix (Platinum Black) and Noodler's Ahab (Chesterfield Night Sapphire) with a .6 mm Nemosine italic nib.

http://i.imgur.com/4GGVZA8s.jpg

Here's my Monteverde Intima (Noodler's Bernake Blue) with 1.1mm stub nib. Looking at the writing sample, I can see barely any line variation. I'd attribute it to too wet a nib, but the confusing part is that my /\ doodles have great line variation. It seemed like I was holding about 4:30-10:30. Perhaps +/- :30 in either direction. Is it that critical on a stub nib?

http://i.imgur.com/MD4538Ns.jpg

The actual direction is not critical. Uniformity is. Some wandering is evident in your writing, but I've seen worse. As for alphabets, what you are writing could be described as American Cursive, a derivative of Spencer via Palmer. It is not a particularly good hand to wrench the maximum line variation from a stub or italic nib.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I do typically write at a slighted slanted angle and find that the paper or notebook turned somewhat counterclockwise to be most comfortable for me, which sometimes tends to lead to wandering. It seems I need to work on a more consistent hand first and then perhaps dabble in a different writing style for cool line variation. Thanks for the pointers.

Steve

Well the problem with /\/\/\ is it will probably come out with line variation anytime because the thin line is so long. If the pen is overly wet and there is s puddle of ink then the line will draw out of that puddle and seem rather normal only a small bit at the start is thicker. But on writing this evens out the line variation.

This is a sample, same pen, same ink. Once with a saturated feed, once with a dry feed. The wet one does seem to have less line variation, the free flow of ink will widen the line a bit and since everything is dark it looks just uniform.

Line%20variation%20wet%3Adry.jpg

If the finer lines get lighter the line variation is more pronounced...

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

There is so much to learn my head hurts! Simple but very effective demonstration. This sounds like an excuse to try more inks to find one that works well for me in this pen. Maybe I'll pick up some grid paper and see if that'll help my handwriting to be more consistent while I'm at it, too.

Try to get a hold of Rohrer & Klinger Salix:

http://www.fp-ink.info/colorcard/74.png

This ink is extremely dry and very well behaved. It shades perfectly and if you got a stub this will provide you with line variation at any time. One of my favorite inks, this works on almost any paper. If this doesn't work, no other ink will work 99.9% :D

This is another example for this. It's Sailor Kiwa-Guro, artificially made very free-flowing to be extremely wet writing, with every sentence the ink is reverted to original again thus making the ink drier writing. Same ink, paper, nib, pen - only parameter that changes is the surface tension and viscosity of the ink. The last sentence is writing with a starving feed then, even drier than the original ink.

Compare for example the line variation on the x, it's the most harsh and in the first sentence it's almost not there.

Line%20variation%20wet%3Adry%202.jpg

Edited by bardiir

as a lefty I do see how the position of the nib really does affect the line variation it doest help because being a lefty I can do it as a hooked handed, a sided handed and a under handed grip... but alas I'm not sure what is the "sure standard" for a stub nib especially for a lefty so in my observation and experience I grounded a lamy 1.5 italic into a right oblique and started writing hooked handed it's the closest thing I could get to people writing with a right hand

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/224534-left-handed-italic/?p=3111011

Edited by Algester