Lamy 2000 On Massdrop

Ruinz

meh.

Considering how many expensive pens Lamy sells. The more you sell of something that is expected to be premium (to the ordinary person) the more likely you are to get these stories. I am sure Lamy screws up. I know they have had bad batches, etc. but I have had dozens of Lamy pens and had a pretty good success rate and good after-sales & that matters more to me than some horror stories on the inner webs.

Here is a chance to get an (like it or not) iconic pen at less than 1/3 of what it would cost me to get it right now at the downtown book conglomerate. I am in. Fountain pens have a horrible success rate across the board. The last 100 or so Zebra or Uniball or HiTec C I bought out of the box had a failure rate of like, i think, 0.0. I still like the fountain pen. I am in. Always wanted a 2K and they are very expensive here.

Is there a chance the pen will be defective or just awful. Yes. I don't see that chance as being higher or lower than any other fountain pen brand. I just sent a leaky Sailor back to be repaired and have recently returned leaky Kaweco and Caran d'Ache pens.

For reasons I don't fully understand, even after a century+, fountain pen manufacture seems a funky proposition. I just take that now as an "understood." Over half the pens I have bought were scratchy, dry, leaky, whatever. But sometimes you get a dead sexy pen out of the box that writes like a dream.

That is why we do it.

Lamy 2k COME TO PAPA.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• ink-syringe

• AndrewC

• Lou Erickson

Well, in for a Broad. If I don't like it, I'll have it ground down to a stub or something.

Speaking of which, who do you like for custom grind jobs? Been considering having a larger nib ground down to a cursive italic in the realm of 0.4-0.6, but still looking around to see who best might be able to do that. ($35 seems to be around the ballpark from what I'm seeing if providing your own nib).

Due to the quality control issues I had been looking for a pre-oweed Lamy 2k but this deal is good enough that I'll roll the dice with a new one.

Speaking of which, who do you like for custom grind jobs? Been considering having a larger nib ground down to a cursive italic in the realm of 0.4-0.6, but still looking around to see who best might be able to do that. ($35 seems to be around the ballpark from what I'm seeing if providing your own nib).

I haven't had any others done; I bought one nib from Mr. Binder via his web site. I figured I'd cross that bridge when I came to it. :) You'll have seen the same sets of name I have, and yeah, $35 sounds about average. If I wind up $140 into an L2k with a custom stub, that's just fine indeed.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I don't think they make them. Buy a Broad, and have a nibmeister grind it. If I don't like the broad I'm ordering, that's probably what will happen.

As mentioned in the discussion on massdrop, they do make a variety of other nibs, such as an oblique broad, but they're not available to the north american market.

Just joined the drop, thanks for letting us know...my favorite pen of all!

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

My luck is holding on this one. I had ordered a Lamy 2000 from Amazon before coming across this deal, so I paid somewhat more than the MassDrop deal. After thinking about it I decided I liked the idea of a good deal and decided to order a second pen. No go for me; all that is left are medium point nibs, and many extra fine points are too broad for my taste. It looks like I'm just outta luck on this one... Except I still have an extra $110.00 in my bank account; I guess that counts for something.

It looks like the drop maxed out!

Was anyone else interested in taking advantage of the deal?

If you were like me and you missed getting your order in you can cast a vote to get another drop organized by going to the page.

Hopefully it gets going again!

Enough of this chocolaty goodness, we've got work to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered one for $104.99 with a Fine nib. So, it's still going!

I jokingly curse those who posted about this. Wasn't planning to buy one at first. :-)

Edited by wikeh2004

Yes, they showed up again! I passed that previous time and thought I'll join the next buy. I didn't think it would come back so quickly! I put myself down for a Fine.

Mine from the first drop came yesterday. I am in love with this pen. What a joy! A very good price, nice pack and ship and the pen itself is (with only one day under its belt admittedly) is stellar.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• 2 months later...

I got one on the last drop. It took a while to get it because Lamy sent it to the wrong place (they did make up for it by sending along a bottle of ink), but now that it's in my hands, I love it.

It's baaaaaack :) $104.99 with free shipping at the lowest point.

That was unlocked right quick.

That's a great price. Anyone who wants a Broad though may want to jump on this sooner rather than later, because those were the first to sell out.

Unless they got wiser this time around.

Last drop was not without its challenges, but I was in no particular hurry and the bottle of ink came in handy.

-k