Fluorescent Shot Of Luxury Blue

dadspens

I aimed a UV light at a page with Noodler's Luxury Blue on it and there didn't seem to be any of that Day-Glo effect.

So then I aimed it at the bottle and it really lit up. However, there was a large dark area in the liquid that didn't react at all.

The picture shows the dark area, but this is after several seconds of shaking the bottle, then stirring it. The dark area, which I assume is blue dye, is still there, but not as much as it originally was.

I wiped the stir stick on a paper towel as you can see, and it lights up very brightly. The ink now seems a lot darker as shown in the daylight picture, though that may be due to the different saturation on a paper towel compared to the notepaper.

The pseudo-scientific conclusions are: UV light is pretty neat, and you might consider stirring your Luxury Blue ink if you have a bottle. But now I wonder if my other inks need to be stirred, too!

Just thought I do a show and tell.

post-88270-0-44608900-1411596146_thumb.jpg

post-88270-0-81410900-1411596156_thumb.jpg

Can I borrow your pen?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Lou Erickson

• SeeksAdvice

• WaskiSquirrel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many topics cover stirring vs. shaking vs. not or any combination on Noodler's inks (and others). Stirring isn't a bad idea and does help many times on making an ink behave as it was intended to.

Also, if you shine a light on it on the paper, remember many papers have opitical brighteners in them to make them white. I wrote on a mostly cotton paper with Luxury blue and shined a light - boy did it shine then! Same with Hunter, I didn't have a pen with Fox or Muave in it, so I didn't test them at the time.

Also, as it's supposed to, Whiteness of the Whale glows like mad on anything really.

\Also, if you shine a light on it on the paper, remember many papers have opitical brighteners in them to make them white. I wrote on a mostly cotton paper with Luxury blue and shined a light - boy did it shine then! Same with Hunter, I didn't have a pen with Fox or Muave in it, so I didn't test them at the time.

Also, as it's supposed to, Whiteness of the Whale glows like mad on anything really.

Ah, interesting point. The paper I saw Luxury Blue so vividly on was Crown Mill, and it may not have the extra brighteners that I bet the HP does. The paper may be so bright you just can't see the ink glow.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Also, if you shine a light on it on the paper, remember many papers have opitical brighteners in them to make them white.

Good point. I do this in my Chemistry class, and I have to be smart about what paper I use.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Looks like Luminol and bodily fluids.

Sorry, I'm a prosecutor what can I say.

Spilling a bottle of that ink would result in what some hotel rooms would look like around here after being "luminol'ed". Don't ask, you really, really don't want to know ;P

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

At one time when I did paper reviews, I noted if one of the UV inks would fluoresce on it. I quit doing it because it seemed to only interest me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

Looks like Luminol and bodily fluids.

Sorry, I'm a prosecutor what can I say.

Spilling a bottle of that ink would result in what some hotel rooms would look like around here after being "luminol'ed". Don't ask, you really, really don't want to know ;P

I only know what Luminol is because I watched the Dexter Series 3 times now....:P!

Interesting! I had a Luxury Blue that I saw clearly under UV, but next time I didn't. I wonder if it needed stirring. Good thought.

I found it depends on the paper. Papertowels always, liquid always, some of my papers..not at all. Very frustrating.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I've had the same thing. Heavily sized papers show less; the HP and Hammermill laser papers I use don't get much effect, nor does the Rhodia tablets. The Clairfontaine stationery and G. Lalo does.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I wonder what makes the difference.

@Kuhataparunks - so much to learn from Dexter. If you are looking for the same sort of Karmic payback, but with humor, and grossness, try 1000 ways to die. My sons explained to me that if you do drugs, mailboxes cut off your head. I found this comment very disturbing. I had to watch. Little disgusting morality tales with psuedo scientists. We now enjoy them as a family and talk about them afterwards. Anyway, Luminol features...I wonder if it pays for product placement?