Taking The Next Step. Monteverde ?

Fabius

Hello All,

For years I've used either vintage US made pens such as Diamond Point or the cheap Chinese pens such as Hero. I still love writing with a good vintage US pen but my love affair with the Chinese pens has waned. So I'd like to take the next step up in quality.

I'd like to hear comments on the:

MONTEVERDE INTIMA

Did a forum search and didn't find a lot on this pen. May have been my searching skills (or lack of).

Thanks,

Tom

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fabius

• TheRealScubaSteve

• Aurko

• yogalarva

I don't know about that pen specifically, but I do know that Monteverde makes quality products. I've had a couple of their pens, and they all write fairly smoothly and reliably. I would recommend them, but I've found their nibs to be a little narrower than the usual German brands or modern American, closer to vintage American widths.

I have never used Monteverde pens, mostly because they just don't wow me. For a $50 pen, I guess I would prefer something a little less flashy than the Intima. But I've also never heard anything bad about them either, so take that for what you will.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Hi Fabius,

I bought a Monteverde Intima 1.1mm stub a couple weeks ago as my "splurge" pen. I was skeptical because I scoured the web and couldn't find any reviews on it, but I decided that I couldn't pass up on the cool looks of the pen.

I just got into fountain pens about a month ago so I don't have a huge amount to go on, but I've acquired Pilots (Plumix, Metropolitan), Nemosine Singularity, Knox Aristotle, and a host of Chinese pens. The Intima is nice, but is not my favorite pen at all. The Volcano Grey finish that I bought it with is phenomenal. It writes quite smoothly, but the stub is a bit fat for my tastes and does not offer near the line variation of a Lamy 1.1mm or Nemosine nib. Granted, it's a stub and not true italic like the others I mentioned.

It posts pretty securely and feels very balanced in the hand either unposted or posted. It is comfortable to hold for the most part, but I find the threads to be a little too deep. I wouldn't call it uncomfortable, but perhaps slightly uncomfortable for me as I tend to grip pens closer to the pen body than the nib.

The display box was pretty nice, too. I should also note that the stock nib was slightly on the dry side for my tastes, but it took very little time or effort to make it into an ink guzzler like I like. Not sure what else to say about it, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

I own one. For the, the pen was just "meh", though I did like using a bright ink with the black nib. It's not bad and it's not good. IT's just a pen with nothing special about it.

I did a

I always do these reviews fairly short, but it may give you an indication about the pen. Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Nice review. It's too bad that your grip section was a bit wobbly as mine was not. I hadn't noticed that the feed was the same as the Jinhao which might come in handy down the road.

Thanks for all the input. I ordered one in "glacier blue" from a US dealer on eBay for $45, Free shipping. I'll report back once I get it.

Look forward to hearing how you look it. As Waski said in his review, it is certainly not my favorite pen and I can't explain why but I do find it to still be a very good and enjoyable pen to use. The glacier blue looks pretty cool from the pictures I've seen, too.

I've had really mixed results with Montverde. A couple never have written well and are now abandoned. One finally worked, after babying and several ink switched. One works fine. Not sure why I kept buying actually. I've moved on to other brands that fit my needs better.

• 3 months later...

I have a Monteverde Invincia & an Artista Crystal. I love them both, workhorses and perform well. I have been impressed by these pens overall for work/everyday use.