Doric Restoration

Iso*

Hello members and followers of the Wahl-Eversharp forum,

I recently won an epic Doric, and I would like to have some restorative advice... I ask this forum so because, although I am familiar with many restorative techniques, I would like to be as cautious and careful as possible to avoid any damage of any sort. (epic is the proper adjective)

Now, I am familiar with the chemistry of dorics - or this is what I know. They are made of a special polymerised celluloid that is stabilised with camphor. I know that camphor has a slight vapour pressure, and that, with time, will cause the celluloid to disintegrate and/or crystallise. Its a jet black Doric... will post pictures when I receive it.

I have read many topics in thus forum, but I am pretty sure I have still missed a lot.

I think so far, I will use traditional methods to clean and restore the pen, but I would like to know, are there any solvents that will be effective at cleaning the pen, such as a dilute solution of alcohol... or are there any solvents that I should avoid, such as acetone? So far, I plan on using a very dilute solution of bleach and some ammonia (not together) on separate rinses to clean the pen, but I am still unsure.

Are there any precautions on heating other than gentle heating? I would like to know this as well, since camphor has a propensity to vaporise readily. Do Dorics use Shellac as a sealant/glue?

(for those who know chemistry, please be as detailed as possible - I work in a lab somewhat, so I have access to a large variety of low quantity solvents)

Thanks for your help -

Iso*

In Ornamental Writing, the beauty of light line and shade must be harmonious.

... The best ornamental penmen write each word one letter at a time, the best they can, the same as you do.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Iso*

• Wahlnut

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

No alcohol, no acetone, no petroleum products. Water and ammonia 10 to 1 OK. Heat: nothing much over 140 degrees F. Shellac OK.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Thanks! Thats all I needed. I purchased a Doric with an adjustable nib - and I would like to take the utmost care for it...

Just wanted to be really, really extremely careful. Will post pictures when the pen is received.

Edited by Iso*

In Ornamental Writing, the beauty of light line and shade must be harmonious.

... The best ornamental penmen write each word one letter at a time, the best they can, the same as you do.