How Does One Report Suspicious Activity To Ebay Without Calling?

KBeezie

Mainly curious because of a purchase I recently had from Japan that was listed as cleaned and flowing very good. But after nearly 8 hours of soaking/rinsing, etc seems the feed itself is clogged with hard ink deposit and the inside of the section and such is all caked with dried ink around it so it would have been impossible to have any kind of flow.

But he has a write sample on the list... almost very pen has a write sample, notice something weird?

fpn_1411444110__1838349332.jpg

fpn_1411444134__1058079653.jpg

fpn_1411444207__0342307459.jpg

But in such a case of identical write samples for multiple pens and other account-wide oddities, how does one exactly report a user for something that's not an item-specific problem but possible deceptive listings without having to call them (which I can't do).

I'm basically waiting to hear back from him regarding the fact that the one I purchase does not flow well (doesn't flow at all) and was not cleaned. It's noon there so probably in a few hours.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• JonSzanto

• mark e

• Keyless Works

Top Posters In This Topic

If you bought from Japan they will probably let you return it. As for the writing sample not sure what to say about that...maybe it was an accident. I don't know if that merits contacting eBay...I guess it is misrepresentation in a way.

An accident on 20+ listings with them changing slightly if the nibs are larger than EF but still identical to every other pen of the same sizing? (ie: 1 write sample for every EF/F, 1 write sample for every M, etc)

Edited by KBeezie

I would report to Ebay. It's misrepresentation if not deception.

The question is, 'how' none of the report item dropdowns match the desired reasoning (or don't provide a comment), there's no chat, and no email communication, and reporting a seller or user just sends you to a form to "try to work it out with the seller". I'm waiting for a response from the seller before I attempt to do any kind of claim on the item I purchased but usually those claims are specific to the item and automated and won't bring scrutiny to listing practices.

1. Certainly looks bogus.

2. Did you notice the identical writing demos before or after purchase?

3. Was the pen purchase costly enough to spend the time on this?

4. If you don't have one, you might make your next eBay purchase an ultrasonic cleaner. Works miracles on clogged feeds, etc. Especially if you muck about with used pens.

Good luck, Karl. Maybe you could enlist a friend to do a phone call to ask about special communication options for people in your situation. Maybe they have a dedicated email or fax in this case (I have no way of knowing, just hoping so).

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The question is, 'how' none of the report item dropdowns match the desired reasoning (or don't provide a comment), there's no chat, and no email communication, and reporting a seller or user just sends you to a form to "try to work it out with the seller". I'm waiting for a response from the seller before I attempt to do any kind of claim on the item I purchased but usually those claims are specific to the item and automated and won't bring scrutiny to listing practices.

You want to contact eBay by phone?

Click "customer support" at the top --> "Contact eBay" tab --> "unable to list an item" ---> "call us"

You will get a one time pass code and the phone number...doesn't matter if it's not related to you being unable to list an item.

4. If you don't have one, you might make your next eBay purchase an ultrasonic cleaner. Works miracles on clogged feeds, etc. Especially if you muck about with used pens.

Good luck, Karl. Maybe you could enlist a friend to do a phone call to ask about special communication options for people in your situation. Maybe they have a dedicated email or fax in this case (I have no way of knowing, just hoping so).

2. Afterwards I was looking at some of the other pens while the pens were soaking to see what else he had. And one of the samples looked a little too perfectly matched so I started looking at others an opening the images up in tabs to flip thru them.

3. not really. I'm still soaking the section/feed just in case it does clear up but so far it's still clogged tight and still blue-ing up every soak.

4. Yea not sure how much they run or what ones are considered good.

The fact they don't do email or chat has come up a number of times before, some deaf people have attempted to sue eBay for discrimination because of their seller requirements and phone verification and such, but eBay ultimately won that suit since they claimed they only needed to advise visitors to use a TTY service to avoid dealing with emails or chat services. (which is technically cheaper than having to deal with a bunch of call centers no one can understand anyways).

Also I noticed that if I select the radio button for 'item not as described' I get :

This item is not eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee.

You can still open a request to work things out with your seller. Most sellers want their buyers to be satisfied and will work with you.

Which doesn't allow me to open a claim, only provides me a link to request a refund.

But the above "not eligible" message is weird because this is stated right on the listing:

fpn_1411454321__ebay_garantee.jpg

Just waiting to hear how the seller response before I attempt make it a claim, but I am not paying for shipping back to Japan if he offers a refund.

Edited by KBeezie

You want to contact eBay by phone?

Click "customer support" at the top --> "Contact eBay" tab --> "unable to list an item" ---> "call us"

You will get a one time pass code and the phone number...doesn't matter if it's not related to you being unable to list an item.

I said *WITHOUT* calling. I can't call.

As for the Ultrasonic cleaner, I just went and checked: got mine on Amazon 2 years ago for $30, and might be the best tool I have for working on my pens, save for a good magnifier. Really, really handy, and it's salvaged some pens I thought were goners. Consider it instead of a pen purchase at some point, it will pay for itself in no time.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

yo, Kbeez...since you dont have an USC in the house, drop a tab of denture cleaner in with the feed and warm water (if you have any---or oxyclean laundry powder---basically the same thing)...give it about 10 mins then rinse it all to........always works for me

As for the Ultrasonic cleaner, I just went and checked: got mine on Amazon 2 years ago for $30, and might be the best tool I have for working on my pens, save for a good magnifier. Really, really handy, and it's salvaged some pens I thought were goners. Consider it instead of a pen purchase at some point, it will pay for itself in no time.

Magnifier? I already have a 20x and 60x loupe. But yea $30 ain't that big a deal at all, was expecting more. Will certainly invest in that since I'm cleaning a lot of the vintage finds and fixing them up myself, and I expected to have to flush the Pen from him but not that it would be clogged hard of ink that would be impossible to actually get a flow on as he described it.

yo, Kbeez...since you dont have an USC in the house, drop a tab of denture cleaner in with the feed and warm water (if you have any---or oxyclean laundry powder---basically the same thing)...give it about 10 mins then rinse it all to........always works for me

I'm using diluted Ammonia bath with tiny bit of clear non-scented dish soap, changing out the heavy blue water every couple of hours. Since I managed to get everything apart except for the feed (still stuck in the section from the ink), I currently have just the section and feed being soaked, as the nipple assembly is out and cleaned and the nib is out and cleaned. But even after 9 to 10 ish hours of soaking and so much heavy blue water discharged, water will not flow from the back of the section to the nib, not even with a little bit of force like with the con-20 converter, it's clogged up that bad.

Also some large pictures I attached to my claim (Suddenly it let me send a message allowing me to attach these two pictures, plus the 3 pictures of the write samples so that ebay had them on record since they're hosted off-site and not on ebay's servers)

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/takeda-ya/elite_section_cap.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/takeda-ya/elite_nib_feed.jpg

And yea that was some kind of sticky bright blue guck in the feed. I did not attempt to ever ink the pen, my first priority was to rinse it out and try to run water thru it. The above two pictures were after about 4-5 hour soaking and rinsing.

Edited by KBeezie

wow...that's bad...looks like someone mixed pelikan blue-black with elmer's glue and ran it thru there---ugh

yeah, that looks like a job for combination denture tabs & ultrasonic....but for now, try the denture tabs in warm water, lather rinse repeat once or twice...i discovered this when i had a p-51 collector/feed that i thought was hopeless, and i didnt really want to run out for ammonia at 3am--- so, guessing that the collector and my partial were basically made of the same stuff, i tried it, and it popped up looking brand new, (collector, not partial) not even stained

as far as ebay and all that goes, i'll let more experienced ebayers advise you on that

wow...that's bad...looks like someone mixed pelikan blue-black with elmer's glue and ran it thru there---ugh

yeah, that looks like a job for combination denture tabs & ultrasonic....but for now, try the denture tabs in warm water, lather rinse repeat once or twice...i discovered this when i had a p-51 collector/feed that i thought was hopeless, and i didnt really want to run out for ammonia at 3am--- so, guessing that the collector and my partial were basically made of the same stuff, i tried it, and it popped up looking brand new, (collector, not partial) not even stained

as far as ebay and all that goes, i'll let more experienced ebayers advise you on that

I was at least able to clean up the sailor that came from the same seller (they were shipped together). That was also claimed to be clean and flows good, but it was dirty of ink, but the cleaning out of it went much much smoother and writes very well.

The sailor had the exact same write sample as well.

fpn_1411456424__3998737454.jpg

But it cleaned up easier and is working really well after adjustment.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sailor_star/uncapped2.jpg

Magnifier? I already have a 20x and 60x loupe.

For when you want to use both hands:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412gckrtLFL.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin

Little update, overnight soaking and the pen still won't flow from back to front with water (can't even force air bubbles out front) yet still soaks up quite a bit of ink if napkin is touched to the front area, dark blue-black of some kind (why is it always blue/black?). I may try the denture cleaner advice Mark E gave just to see if it's salvageable.

But the seller responded to my not as described message with the following:

I truly apologize for my terrible mistake.

PILOT [Elite] POSTING 18K

BLACK & GOLD FP CARTRIDGE FREE[217-2]

Could I pay back to your account.

I don't have PILOT Elite 18K now. I'm looking for the pen.

When I get like the pen(Good condition), I'll sen the pen.

Please give me some time to get good condition pen.

I want to apologize to you.

-takeda-ya

Followed by a full refund of that pen.

Considering your advice to get an ultrasonic cleaner since I have a habit of tinkering around with old pens. Just have no clue which to get. However this one looks promising with 3 different power settings. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130962387550

On a minor note I am curious if because the seller got back to me favorably if something like the write samples and such will never see an eBay staffer's eyes. (since what point is there to escalate if he's refunding and replacing). But at least the information is here for future discretion *shrug*.

Edited by KBeezie

Good news, Karl. I'm glad things are seeming to work out. That USC looks fine, mine only has one power setting, but adjustable times. I've never had anything that had a problem being in there, no damages.

If you go this route, spend a little time here on FPN and maybe FPB and search for threads on ultrasonics - in general, quite safe, but some of the repair people have weighed in on some things to keep in mind (I believe Ron Zorn spoke about this), just reasonable care, etc. You don't want to put an entire pen in one! :)

~ Benjamin Franklin

Good news, Karl. I'm glad things are seeming to work out. That USC looks fine, mine only has one power setting, but adjustable times. I've never had anything that had a problem being in there, no damages.

If you go this route, spend a little time here on FPN and maybe FPB and search for threads on ultrasonics - in general, quite safe, but some of the repair people have weighed in on some things to keep in mind (I believe Ron Zorn spoke about this), just reasonable care, etc. You don't want to put an entire pen in one! :)

Yea I figured like with giving an ammonia bath you want to try to disassemble it as much as possible, especially items that may be glued or plated.

Edit: I went ahead and ordered that adjustable one with the refund. I also went ahead and decided to try a little bit of dish soap (I hate using scented dish soap) which in this time around started showing the blue ink immediately rather than the previous straight-water soak I did ( which was after a few ammonia baths ), if that doesn't salvage it I'll see if the USC does anything. If not... well it was refunded and paid for the USC and a lesson.

Edited by KBeezie

After about the day and a half of soaking the feed finally decided it could come out. Still jammed up in the middle, so it's soaking again, by itself. (though I'll have the USC on thursday).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/takeda-ya/elite_diassembled.jpg