The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Iroshizuku Co-Razy View Group Review!

iroshizuku crv group review

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:02

2014-09-22_Group_Review_Header.png
Iroshizuku Co-Razy View Group Review!

Pilot’s Iroshizuku inks are beautiful but expensive, and therefore somewhat unknown.  Let’s try them out together, so we can see what results others get, and talk about them together!

It’s more fun to do things with other people, so this is a chance to try something at the same time other people are, and to discuss it together.

This is not a group buy!  This is a group of people doing something similar together.  If you want the ink to try, you’ve got to find it yourself.  Naturally, we can do that together, too.

What Will Happen

Each month there will be one Iroshizuku color picked, and we’ll discuss it and collect reviews of that one color in a thread for that color over in the Ink Reviews forum.

Personally, I will keep at least one pen inked with that color for the entire month, and will have several scans to share.  I’ll also make a point to post a sampler sheet with a variety of nib widths.

The next month’s ink will be listed a week or two early so that you can find your bottle, or order a bottle or a sample of the color to try, if you wish to do so.

How To Join

You are welcome to participate in any month you like.  If you have a bottle and want to share a writing sample, great!  If you are intrigued by the color and want to order a sample or even a whole bottle, you’re welcome to do that too.

If you think a color is ugly, you can skip that month.  If you are busy, skip that month.  It’s okay!

There are several ways you can participate! 

Working Together

Let’s go Co-Razy!   :)  Things are more fun when people do them together, so I’m going to encourage everyone to try and write half a review!  Well, a half-width review, anyway.

Amberlea has been doing the Co-Razy Views (CRV) for a while, and it is interesting to see how different people’s pens and handwriting look together.  Like this!  It lets you really compare them and get a feel for how the ink may behave in ways you might not see.

If you have time to write twice, and want to have a penpal, you can write a letter.  Write your letter using half the width of the page.  Extra bonus coolness if you include the things Amberlea suggests discussing!   Scan and post it in the review thread as normal.  Then, mail it to me.  PM me for my address.

I don’t have time to reply to all of them - I wish I could! - so I’ll be mailing you someone else’s review.  If there’s an odd number, I’ll write the remaining one.

When someone’s letter comes, you write a reply on the second half of the page, next to the original person’s review.  Talk back, agree, disagree, doodle, say whatever.  Then scan it in and add it to that month’s scans and comparisons thread.

On your reply you’re welcome to use the month’s color in your pen and hand, or to use a similar color so people can see how they compare to one another.  Both are interesting and valuable!

Solo Contributions

If you don’t have time to mess about with the mail, but you have or get the month’s color, feel free to and add scans of your use of that ink.  Please let us know what paper and pen you’re using.

The side-by-side Co-Razy Views are always interesting, so if you want to do one on your own, that’s great too.  Compare the month’s ink against a different ink you have, or to show how it looks in two different pens!  You don’t have to mail things anywhere to do a comparison!

For the same extra coolness, consider including all the things Amberlea discusses in her review thread. 

Discussions

If you have the ink, or have tried the ink in the past, and would like to share your experiences, please chime in on the thread.  Scans or photos are great, but not everyone has the time or equipment to make that happen.  That’s no problem!  Let us know what you think.  Ask people questions, too!

The Ink Schedule

Here’s the schedule for what ink will be the focus of each month!

Month Season Ink English Color
October 2014 Autumn Tsuki-yo Moonlight Dark Blue
November 2014 Autumn Yu-yake Sunset Orange
December 2014 Winter Shin-kai Deep Sea Dark Blue
January 2015 Winter Fuyu-Gaki Winter Persimmon Orange-Red
February 2015 Winter Fuyu-syogun Old Man Winter Grey
March 2015 Spring Syo-ro Dew on Pine Tree Dark Green
April 2015 Spring Kosumosu Cosmos Pink Red
May 2015 Spring Ku-jaku Peacock Blue-Green
June 2015 Summer Murasaki-shikibu Japanese Beautyberry Purple
July 2015 Summer Tsukushi Horsetail Brown
August 2015 Summer Asa-gao Morning Glory Dark Blue
September 2015 Autumn Kiri-same Autumn Shower Grey
October 2015 Autumn Momiji Autumn Leaves Red
November 2015 Autumn Yama-guri Wild Chestnut Brown
December 2015 Winter Kon-peki Deep Cerulean Blue Dark Blue
January 2016 Winter Take-sumi Bamboo Charcoal Black
February 2016 Winter Ama-iro Sky Blue Light Blue
March 2016 Spring Chiku-rin Bamboo Forest Yellow Green
April 2016 Spring Ajisai Hydrangea Medium Blue
May 2016 Spring Shin-ryoku Forest Green Green
June 2016 Summer Yama-budo Crimson Glory Vine Magenta
July 2016 Summer Tsuyu-kusa Asiatic Dayflower Blue
August 2016 Summer Tsttsuji Azalea Pink
September 2016 Autumn Ina-ho Rice Ear Tan/Light Brown

Thanks To

Many thanks to Amberlea for being inspiring and encouraging, and co-ordinating with the moderators of the other forums to make sure these go to the right forum.

More thanks to Amberlea for her jumping in and helping with eye-catching titles.

Thanks, too, to the enthusiastic people who helped me be sure this would be interesting and fun.  Let's do it!

Questions?

Ask away!

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Sponsored Content

#2 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:03

Iroshizuku Group Review Index

This is a list of all the threads for discussion of each month’s color.  The threads can be found in the ”Ink Reviews” section of the forum.  As the threads are created, they’ll be made into links in this post.

Iroshizuku - Tsukushi (Horsetail) - CRV - Group Review - 2015-07
Iroshizuku - Asa-gao (Morning Glory) - CRV - Group Review - 2015-08
Iroshizuku - Kiri-same - CRV - Group Review - 2015-09
Iroshizuku - Momiji (Autumn Leaves) - CRV - Group Review - 2015-10
Iroshizuku - Yama-guri (Wild Chestnut) - CRV - Group Review - 2015-11
Iroshizuku - Kon-peki (Deep Cerulean Blue) - CRV - Group Review - 2015-12
Iroshizuku - Take-sumi (Bamboo Charcoal) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-01
Iroshizuku - Ama-iro (Sky Blue) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-02
Iroshizuku - Chiku-rin (Bamboo Forest) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-03
Iroshizuku - Ajisai - CRV (Hydrangea) - Group Review - 2016-04
Iroshizuku - Shin-ryoku (Forest Green) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-05
Iroshizuku - Yama-budo (Crimson Glory Vine) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-06
Iroshizuku - Tsuyu-kusa (Asiatic Dayflower) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-07
Iroshizuku - Tsutsuji (Azalea) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-08
Iroshizuku - Ina-ho (Rice Ear) - CRV - Group Review - 2016-09

Edited by amberleadavis, 25 June 2015 - 18:57.

-- 

#3 Morwen

Morwen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:20

I already own most of the colors, only 5 are missing and 2 of those are on the way to me :). I will try to participate - but I have never written reviews before, I hope I can do it!

#4 AHoppy

AHoppy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:13

Well, I can't help out for over a year, but I will if I can and don't forget :P

Never mind, I still have a Tsuki-yo sample

Edited by AHoppy, 23 September 2014 - 04:20.

#5 A144

A144

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:47

Cool idea, I'm definitely keeping an eye on this project!  I'll also try to join in on the months I have samples and bottles for!

So many inks, so little time...

#6 tinysnail

tinysnail

math & pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 16:36

I'm so glad this is happening! I'll have to load up on samples. Generally, I am not the biggest fan of blue inks, so this will be a good project for broadening my horizons, at least a little. It'll be cool to see how different some of these inks look in different pens, on different paper, with different users.

#7 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:36

I have Yu-yake, Fuyu-syogun, Take-sumi, Inaho, Murasaki-shikibu with me sadly I can't afford the bottles to the philippines yet...

Edited by Algester, 23 September 2014 - 17:37.

#8 mtnbiker62

mtnbiker62

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:51

I will chip in when I can...I have 5 or 6 bottles...mostly in the blue and black families.

#9 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:52

I'm still waiting for my Tsuki-yo to arrive, myself.  I'm looking forward to going through all of them, as it gives me plenty of chances to use different pens with a predictable ink.  Adds some structure to my ink selection for a while.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone adds!

Edited by Lou Erickson, 23 September 2014 - 17:52.

-- 

#10 Elyptic

Elyptic

Geek

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2014 - 14:05

Just placed an order with Goulet for the first three colors!

I also ordered a medium sized, Side staplebound Rhodia notebook for ink sample testing. I've wanted to try Rhodia for a while, and for the price ($3.30), it seemed like the perfect book to use for ink samples.

Decided that I'd go with ink samples to start, figuring that if I like the sample, I can add bottles to the next order I place. Also, it seems that three months at a time makes sense for shipping cost savings.

And of course, any time I order anything from them, I always find a few extras, so really ordering every three months is better for my wallet!

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

#11 mtnbiker62

mtnbiker62

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2014 - 15:46

I have been wanting to do a comparison of Tsuki-yo and Diamine Twilight...this will be a most excellent opportunity!

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2014 - 23:29

Thank you for the kind words.  I've already mailed a submission off to you to kick start the project.  I love the P/I inks - I was sad for a while because they aren't waterproof, but I found that they often held up well to fade tests and that thrills me.  I'm super excited to be part of this great community building project. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#13 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 00:23

Hmmm.... I have Tsuki-yo, and I think I'd like to play along.

Do I have to mail or can I just scan?

#14 mrchan

mrchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:30

An interesting idea, I have coincidentally ordered a Tsuki-Yo myself before reading this post. I shall be getting it in the mail but not really sure when. Will look forward to posting :)

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

#15 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:44

I have:

Tsuki-Yo

Tsuyu-Kusa

Ama-Iro

Kon-Peki

Asa-Gao

Take-Sumi

Tsukushi

I could contribute something.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

#16 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 18:31

Hmmm.... I have Tsuki-yo, and I think I'd like to play along.

Do I have to mail or can I just scan?

Feel free to just scan if you're short on time.  More contributions are better.  Try a CRV with different pens or comparing the monthly ink to a similar ink you own.

-- 

#17 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 19:48

Scans are awesome additions, but the shared written letters are like little bundles of joy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#18 GSteer

GSteer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:22

Anyone else in the UK/EU area taking part? Would be easier for postal timings to mail between ourselves I feel :) I'll also be scanning and uploading too.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

#19 siima

siima

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:26

This sounds like a good idea. I have to order more Iroshizuku inks. Perfect excuse!

Photo by Brian Gratwicke.

#20 cybaea

cybaea

Messsage me

• Member - Gold

• 1,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:33

I am so glad this idea got off the ground. :thumbup:  Will try to join from October

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iroshizuku, crv, group review

Sponsored Content

|