Why Not Ballpoint Pens?

inkeverywhere

I have been pondering my obsession with FP's lately. I collect vintage Parker and Lamy FP's and have, of late, become fascinated with demonstrators. I use a FP at every chance.

However each day I go to work I have no choice but to use a ballpoint pen to complete paperwork from which I get paid - no ifs or buts, no ballpoint no pay! Although I use a Lamy 2000 ballpoint, which I find a great ballpoint, when you have to use one, I do not get that excited about using it. I am as selfish with this ballpoint as I am with any FP I own and always have a throw away ballpoint with me for customers to use but it does not give the same satisfaction as using a FP.

Everyday I look over many web sites at FP's I put on my list of things to try and perhaps buy but this enthusiasm does not spill over to ballpoints. Perhaps the only ballpoint I am mildly interested in is a David Fox converted Vacumatic, but that in itself started life as a FP.

By defination of the FP addict test, previouly posted on the FPN, I am an addict, but it appears to me from much reading on the FPN there are many, many far more serious addicts and far more serious collectors than myself.

I know I am not the only FP user to be afflicted like this, but do wonder if this condition is far more common than I think. I'd love to hear your views.

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• inkeverywhere

• mknoblauch

• HamFist

I am an addict too (looks sheepishly at my numerous pens)...

For me, it was about the pressure I had to apply while using these ballpoints pens. Not to mention the fact that my ballpoints often died on me (too much pressure? I just got a lemon refill?)

Thus, the switch over to FP, which I had always found interesting since young, was the natural path to take.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I am in a similar situation like you where the use of a BP is an almost non-negotiable aspect of work, so I figure I might as well try and enjoy it... There are several nice BP's out there in terms of construction / format / balance... A while ago I had asked the question over what BP to use as a beater at work - and the general answer came up "Jotter" and while I like the Jotter it doesn't evoke any emotion, so I started a little hands on auditioning and found a few that work for me. Maybe try playing with a few nicer BP's and you will find something that speaks to you. If you have to use a BP you might as well enjoy the experience.

Are gel inks or rollerballs an option at work? I have a Parker Jotter that I have loaded with Parker's Gel ink refills and it writes a smooth line. Very little pressure needed too. I would think it would be acceptable (would your boss even know the difference?) since the line a RB or gel ink makes is very similar to a BP, just darker (usually).

I fear having to use a ball point, gel or roller ball pen would be very close to a deal breaker for me. Sorry but I an employer wants what I can provide they would need to accept my fountain pens.

I bought a Lamy Cp1 recently as a substitute for when a fountain pen is in-practical.

I've grudgingly come to the conclusion its not that bad and I could use it for a long time without dying.

Its still really boring though. BPs are boring so I don't use them.

May I ask why BP only? Properly chosen ink can be fast drying and waterproof. The right nib can be more than firm enough for NCR or carbons (manifold). With hooded nibs only you would know you are using a FP.

A properly sized and balanced body can be very comfortable. Sadly even the best refills require pressure to write consistently. Roller balls are better, to me. Gels take a bit to dry and I am a smudger (although right-handed). I do find fibre tips to write nicely with very minimal pressure, but they don't seem to last very long (and will write on almost any dry surface, ie glass).

So to my question. Is there no way around this ban on other than BPs?

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Zebra f-701 is the way to go you will not be disapointed and for $7 Id say you have little choice and to up the anti I Include a link

http://www.amazon.com/Zebra-F-701-Stainless-Ballpoint-Retractable/dp/B002L6RB80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411399837&sr=8-1&keywords=f-701

I have also tried the jotter. It is too small in my hand.

There is a way to use fischer refills in both of these pens. But i like the zebra it writes a very fine line, and quite smoothly I may add. Its the only pen me and the fiance fight over. I should order another.

Though it's not necessary for me to use a BP for work, it is safer. Wax and chemical stripper aren't kind to most anything, but I keep a Fisher space pen with a fine point in my watch pocket. While not entirely satisfying for a myriad of reasons, it's nicer than any BIC I was forced to use in school. For quick notes, I default to a Pilot G2. One of my favorite all time writing instruments. Before diving headfirst into fountain pens, the G2 was the only writing instrument I would use daily.

I like the Ballograf and Caran d'Ache ballpoints a lot for when I have to use ballpoints, another favourite is the Tombow Air-Press, smooth, light, reliable, and has a really cool and useful clip.

There are so many cool old ballpoints out there. I put Parker compatible refills in some NOS Sheaffer ballpoints from an eBay lot. Just 'cause you have to use a ballpoint doesn't mean you have to use a Bic...

Brian

edit - Crud - I'll have to upload a photo later...
Edited by bsenn

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I like a good bp for work. I take a lot of very quick, one-line notes as to-do lists and then check them off as I go. So often I just write a check mark and move on. So, taking the cap off a fountain pen can seem like to much trouble for such a quick job...as such I tend to use a retractable ballpoint instead. Right now using a Maxmadco bolt action with Itoya gel refill and I really do enjoy using it. It doesn't give quite the same satisfaction in writing as a fountain pen, but I get a lot of joy out of the quality of the pens construction and the way the mechanism works. So while they appeal to be for different reasons, I do get excited about a good ballpoint.

I also love the way gel refills write. Parker gel, Pilot G2, Itoya gel, all give the most fountain-pen-like experience of any non-fp I have ever used. Takes almost zero pressure to get a nice dark line. I hear some people dislike these types of refills and I just cannot fathom why, to me they have transformed ballpoint pens from something I loathed writing with to something I can actually enjoy using.

The problem I find is know I have fully adapted to a shallow fountain pen grip, I find it hard to hold my pen steeply as is required for ball point to ensure it's ball housing doesn't catch on the paper.

I have been interested in ballpoints for longer than fountain pens. I particularly like some of the ballpoints from the 1960s. The Papermate Holiday I particularly like, because I remember many of my friends using them. If you learn to write properly with a ballpoint, it isn't so tiring as many people seem to think.

I do understand why I also find fountain pens interesting, and, again, it's the nostalgia. Although I often write with them, I have an equal interest and liking for writing with a ballpoint.

Liking writing with a fountain pen need not preclude liking ballpoints, and collecting fountain pens certainly does not stop me from collecting ballpoints that I like.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

May I ask why BP only? Properly chosen ink can be fast drying and waterproof. The right nib can be more than firm enough for NCR or carbons (manifold). With hooded nibs only you would know you are using a FP.

A properly sized and balanced body can be very comfortable. Sadly even the best refills require pressure to write consistently. Roller balls are better, to me. Gels take a bit to dry and I am a smudger (although right-handed). I do find fibre tips to write nicely with very minimal pressure, but they don't seem to last very long (and will write on almost any dry surface, ie glass).

So to my question. Is there no way around this ban on other than BPs?

Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul. Why ball point only, I can't answer but when they pay me money to use to feed my FP addiction I believe it is very little to ask.

Others I work with would be happy to use a stick dipped in muddy water if they could - maybe a reason in itself.

I have been interested in ballpoints for longer than fountain pens. I particularly like some of the ballpoints from the 1960s. The Papermate Holiday I particularly like, because I remember many of my friends using them. If you learn to write properly with a ballpoint, it isn't so tiring as many people seem to think.

I do understand why I also find fountain pens interesting, and, again, it's the nostalgia. Although I often write with them, I have an equal interest and liking for writing with a ballpoint.

Liking writing with a fountain pen need not preclude liking ballpoints, and collecting fountain pens certainly does not stop me from collecting ballpoints that I like.

Ahh Papermates, my late father used Papermate's exclusively all his working life and had the most amazing handwriting. You have brought back fond memories for me.

I have tried Papermate's but find them too thin for my liking and I dare say decent Papermates are a thing of the past in Australia as far as I can tell!

Papermates are pretty skinny usually. They had a series with thin and thicker pens, and about fifty years ago I bought one of the thicker ones and have used it from time to time since. I also bought a nice Papermate C/C fountain pen in the seventies in magenta, gold trim. Made in West Germany, it's a decent pen. Had a ballpoint pen like it, but somebody stole it. They left the fountain pen. One advantage of liking them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hello Everyone,

I know what Pajaro means; I too have fond memories of the PaperMate Malibu's and 98's from the '70s, (both car names, fancy that), as well as the Lindy ball-points.

While I rarely use ball-points anymore, I do still have a couple of Parker Jotters, a few JetStreams and even some Bic Crystals lurking about the house - and I don't think I'd drop dead if I used any of them.... well, at least not right away.

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.