Trying A Lamy 2000 - Not Particularly Impressed

KBeezie

K, now we're somewhere.

On some Mead notebook paper

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/lamy2k/write_.jpg

On some rhodia pad (No.10 2x2.9in) written in the same fashion as earlier.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/lamy2k/write2.jpg

The Lamy 2K feels a lot like a 'larger' version of my MontBlanc 225, they're both piston fillers, both platinum coated (except the Montblanc has the cap Platinum coated, and the grip remains resin/plastic up to the nib), both can unscrew from the section, both have the little wires to grab the cap. Main thing is I can't get the nib/feed out of the montblanc. But otherwise feels very similar.

Edited by KBeezie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• JonSzanto

• Algester

• Lyander0012

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pity about all those problems. I've found the Lamy 2000 (with a medium nib) an unimpressive but trouble-free, reliable writer: everything works well but the nib isn't inspiring. I suppose that an XF nib is a bigger challenge, so I'd be inclined to get one from a brand that has an excellent reputation in that respect, which today would probably mean a Japanese brand.

Pity about all those problems. I've found the Lamy 2000 (with a medium nib) an unimpressive but trouble-free, reliable writer: everything works well but the nib isn't inspiring. I suppose that an XF nib is a bigger challenge, so I'd be inclined to get one from a brand that has an excellent reputation in that respect, which today would probably mean a Japanese brand.

If I got it as a M or bigger, I'd be looking into having it ground to something like a cursive italic like around 0.4-0.6 (since they're still noticeable with smaller tipping, just a tad sharper on the edges than a stub).

Course one thing to keep in mind : Most of my non-Japanese brands I've obtained has been second hand. The Bexley Jitterbug, Kaweco AL Sport, Pelikan M250, Montblanc 225, Lamy Safari and this Lamy 2K have been second hand. The only western ones I bought brand new has been Faber-Castell BASIC (cracked section within the first month) and Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (Heavy Brassing within the first month).

The Japanese pens I've gotten both new and used/old have been for the most part stellar performers right out of the box (the two used vanishing points were probably the low point of that demographic). But the $3 Petit1, smooth, reliable, no problems out of the box, the Platinums I've gotten so far (2x C3776, PTL-10000, PTL-5000), the vintage Pilot Elites, etc.

This was a trade and I suspect I'm a masochist for adjustments, tweaks, and repairs as long as I only have to do them once.

Will see how it goes in the next few days, and probably the week after next will try using it actively during class (I rarely have less than 3 pens on me on campus, so if it doesn't work, I'll just switch pens.)

I didn't need to see this thread, I've also recently ordered a 2k with EF nib, though I decided to spring for the SS version. Glad you seem to be getting it sorted, wish me luck! :P

PS: I think the reason it doesn't do left strokes too well is because under the loupe there's not much of a right tine to the nib, like it was cut off-center so that there's very little to the right tipping, so if I were dragging the nib to the left, there's not much of a tipping on that side to grab and open for flow. But usually not drawing a straight line from right to left.

Check here for the shim set. (Sorry, no internal page links, so you'll need to scroll down to near the bottom of the page - but you'll have fun looking at all the tools and gadgets!)

Yes, it says that you are another data point that has had a pen that did not perform to your standards upon first use. Hardly the first person, and probably not the last. Considering that this pen has been in production and use since the mid-1960's, it this was a remarkably high-percentage occurrence it would be reasonable to expect that the pen would have gone away. It hasn't.

For those that would like to know a bit more about the history of the 2000, there is actually a pretty great bit of writing about the pen and the genisis of "Lamy Design" right here on FPN.

I would just plainly blame the lax of QC if not the storage time of the pen itself... for god knows how many years that it would be at a "NOS" state before I got it... of course my country isnt really known for "excellent service" so were left to our own devices <_< >_> if that was going to be my humble opinion... plus I didnt want to wait half a year at least to get it "fixed" if the nib will still be the problem so I had it adjusted by a "bad friend" of course I have to point at him because I wouldnt have gotten back to FPs without him <_< but once adjusted it's currently inked almost all the time.

of course I'm not going to say how our country's Lamy representative actually suggested to spring the nib to get it to write but thats what she said... YES SHE RECOMMENDED THAT I INTENTIONALLY CONSTANTLY SPRING THE BLOODY NIB!!!! cue in my unexplainable reaction of exasperation and disbelief but I remained calm

in fact I have become so delusional that I actually would dip test every lamy nib in the shop before I actually buy one

"fixed" meant waiting for a replacement nib from germany and for a pen that has a 3 year warranty YES OUR LAMY PENS DONT HAVE LIFETIME WARRANTIES... I might have to expire the warranty constantly bringing it back to germany which of course I can't easily do

the only benefits in my country is that every lamy fountain pen purchase comes with a free converter... EVERY LAMY FOUNTAIN PEN (except the 2000) including something as basic as the ABC

but in our Lamy safari costs like 27.24USD (converter included) so I think it's a real bargain?

Edited by Algester

Send it back to Lamy for a nib with = tines. It is free.

Don't matter if original owner or not...if US distrubitor is cranky, send to Heidelberg.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Send it back to Lamy for a nib with = tines. It is free.

Don't matter if original owner or not...if US distrubitor is cranky, send to Heidelberg.

I sent an email to LamyUSA before posting this thread, have not heard back from them.

When I have had stingy nibs with what I thought was insufficient flow in the past, I have tried a Waterman or Diamine ink with success.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

When I have had stingy nibs with what I thought was insufficient flow in the past, I have tried a Waterman or Diamine ink with success.

Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo is just as well behaved as Waterman Black, and not all Diamine inks are easy flowing like that. If you read thru the thread you'll see it wasn't an ink problem because even Aurora black (usually real slippery and easy to clean) was having issues.

Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo is just as well behaved as Waterman Black, and not all Diamine inks are easy flowing like that. If you read thru the thread you'll see it wasn't an ink problem because even Aurora black (usually real slippery and easy to clean) was having issues.

heck first time I got my Lamy 2000 I inked it with Yu-yake was the same thing so really it's just tight... REAL TIGHT the only way for me to get to ink it with other inks (prior to be adjusted) was to use Kiwaguro AT FIRST so pretty much I was stuck with a very black ink

Edited by Algester

I'd take it apart to spread the tines, and possibly give the feed a buzz in an ultrasonic tub-- the latter may be all it needs, of course. The main things to watch out for is not letting the "ear" ring get away from you, likewise the washer that rides behind it, and re-inserting the point/feed assembly with the alignment just as it should be, because it can jam if rotated a little. I know you're relatively fearless about dismantling, and the 2000 isn't a huge challenge to get down to components (although I've never gone as far as separating point and feed).

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Anatomy-Lamy2K.jpg

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Looking at the pics it seems the tip of the nib is too close together, and the tightness goes a bit further than I am used to see. I like to use my computer screen in a dark room and put the nib between me and the screen to see the spacing of the tines, my better flowing pens will only be tighter near the tip, the rest of the gap opens up progressively. But of course it can be just an impression caused by the picture, but I've seen pictures that shows the nib gap very precisely.

Your extra fine seems finer than mine. (perhaps having to open the tines and such caused it to write larger). Currently I have it adjusted that it's actually quite smooth, line width is around what you'd expect of a western EF if not a little smaller. Though it seems to vary on thickness every so often depending on ink pooling or just subtle nib pressure but not as bad as originally.

and PS: I Did contact LamyUSA before starting this thread, to date they have not responded.

I am having the same problem with my Lamy 2000. Dry, boring, nondescript nib. Now I hear I should send it away for correction.

I could not recommend this pen to anyone.

and PS: I Did contact LamyUSA before starting this thread, to date they have not responded.

How much before? You started the thread on the weekend.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

You get my drift: it was unclear how long before you decided to post. I.E, if you contacted them late on Friday, I'd hardly expect communication over the weekend. When left with not much info, we tend to... hypothesize. If you wrote earlier in the week, then, yeah, I'd be looking for a reply soon. Hope it works out, and damn you, now I'm thinking about those pens!

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Mine is a M nib and out of the box, no issues on it and on some Lamy 2000 FPs, the tines are not properly aligned, thus causing writing issues. Yes writing may not be as smooth all the time (probably my style of writing plus I'm a lefty) and on Parker's Quink (black) since day one, but overall it is pleasant and a joy to write with.

In another note, I cleaned my nib all the time before every use.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.