Churchill Disappointment

Baric

I got my new Conway Stewart Churchill in the mail yesterday, but my new iPhone also arrived, so I didn't get to the pen until this morning. New electronic toys are way too much fun! Anyway, I had a chance to look the pen over this morning and I was very disappointed. All of my CS pens have quite a bit of weight to them, they feel very comfortable to me in the hand. This Churchill has no brass sleeves in the barrel or cap, which makes it extremely lightweight compared for its size so that it felt... weird... resting in my hand. Not precisely uncomfortable, but not what I expected and wanted. This is a VERY expensive pen and I'm going to be extremely picky about what I accept.

Then I saw the real killer. The clip on this model is mounted on the surface of the cap using some kind of tab and slot mechanism, and on this particular pen, there was a significant gap between the clip edge and the cap so that the tabs on the clip were visible on both sides. At this price point I expect an excellent level of craftsmanship in the fit and finish, and this clip fitting clearly falls far short of that standard. Here is what it looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~baric/images/churchill-clip-small.png

This pen will be returned to the shop for a refund. I MIGHT consider a replacement but Churchills (like all new CS pens) are getting scarce on the ground now that CS is no more.

I guess I'll be removing the Churchill from my pen "wish list". Even if I could find one with a decently fitted clip, the light weight bothers me enough that I would not consider another unless it was much more inexpensive. This is all quite a shame because the overall exterior design was lovely, especially the amber resin. The surface mounted clip is a nice vintage touch, sadly not executed all that well.

I'm bummed. I HOPE my incoming CS100 Anniversary edition doesn't have fit/finish issues.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baric

• RMN

• warblerick

• Matlock

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a CS Churchill that was produced as a limited edition for The Writing Equipment Society (of which I am a member) in 2001. It is no. 41 of 200 and I bought it in June 2001. It is in Ebonite and, as you say, is very light. The clip is mounted in exactly the same way as yours and both tabs are clearly visible. If you require a heavy pen the Churchill is not for you. I also have a Silver Duro which is VERY heavy being made of solid Sterling Silver.

Good luck with your CS100.

Peter

Wow, bummer about the clip.

I know what you mean though about the weight of the Churchill. For such a large pen it is surprisingly (and disappointingly) light weight, one of the things that kept me from buying it over the years. I had seen and handled it in person so I was only surprised the first time I held one. If you had never seen or held it before buying it online, well I can only imagine your surprise.The Marlborough was the same way. I wanted one dearly, in graphite with silver trim, until I held one at the DC pen show. It was really light, and not my cup of tea. I ended up with 2 Bellivers, as the weight and size is more to my liking about 30 grams.

I really wish pen companies would print the sizes of pens online and in pen catalogs, both the weight and length, etc. It would make it so much easier when purchasing online.

This was probably one of the last ones made, when their QC was not up to snuf. I had issues with sprung clips on two different CS pens, both brand new.

That clip should be secure. I would bring that back, as you can't repair that yourself unless you are experienced.

But the weight factor of the Churchill is well known and well publicised and discussed, also here on FPN.

I am surprised you did not know that. It is the reason I never bought a Churchill but a Winston in stead.

Same I won't buy a MB 149, way too light for the size, in MY taste. There are however many people who just love those pens. Tastes differ...

CS used to have a whole page with all the measurements and weights. Not sure if they had it on the new site too.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Baric,

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the Churchill. I try to make sure that I have put a pen in my hand, especially an expensive one,before I buy it. That is difficult because there is only 1 small pen store near where I live. Thus, I have to take full advantage of my local pen club (I am so fortunate to be part of them) and the small pen shows that are held annually. Even then though there is the temptation to buy online ...

Do you actually have your CS100 or did you buy it from a vendor that had them in stock? I hope so, otherwise, it might never have made it out of the factory before the administrators shut the place down and auctioned everything off?

Cheers!

Mike

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

That clip should be secure. I would bring that back, as you can't repair that yourself unless you are experienced.

But the weight factor of the Churchill is well known and well publicised and discussed, also here on FPN.

I am surprised you did not know that. It is the reason I never bought a Churchill but a Winston in stead.

Dick, yeah, I should have known, but somehow it slipped past my research. I guess I just expected all modern CS pens had brass internals since all of mine do. I have, and love, a Winston, a Wellington, and 2 Bellivers, so you can see how my false expectation formed.

The clip feels securely attached, there's is no wobble or looseness. It's just unsightly, purely cosmetic.

I try to make sure that I have put a pen in my hand, especially an expensive one,before I buy it. That is difficult because there is only 1 small pen store near where I live. Thus, I have to take full advantage of my local pen club (I am so fortunate to be part of them) and the small pen shows that are held annually. Even then though there is the temptation to buy online ...

Do you actually have your CS100 or did you buy it from a vendor that had them in stock? I hope so, otherwise, it might never have made it out of the factory before the administrators shut the place down and auctioned everything off?

Not much In the way of pen stores where I am, so actually holding one is hard. There are a few stores south in Massachusetts (Boston, Burlington) but I don't get down there much. Pen shows are scarce as well, although there is a small Boston show next weekend I'll try to make.

The 100 is on its way, currently tracking as entering the US through NY a couple of days ago. I expect to have it in my hands soon. And yes, I'm finding way too many online vendors are advertising stock they don't have. It's annoying, and borderline dishonest if you ask me, barring simple mistakes. But it's happened way too often for them all to be mistakes, I found the 100 at Andy's Pens in the UK. Fast and friendly service so far.

I've had some really bad luck with CS lately. My paid but unshipped 100 directly from CS happened just before they went under, so I'm out a good chunk of change. And don't let those folks who say you're safe if you use PayPal fool you, you are NOT! I'm fighting with them now, and will contact my credit card company as well. At present I don't have a lot of faith I'll ever see that money again.

Dick, yeah, I should have known, but somehow it slipped past my research. I guess I just expected all modern CS pens had brass internals since all of mine do. I have, and love, a Winston, a Wellington, and 2 Bellivers, so you can see how my false expectation formed.

The clip feels securely attached, there's is no wobble or looseness. It's just unsightly, purely cosmetic.

Not much In the way of pen stores where I am, so actually holding one is hard. There are a few stores south in Massachusetts (Boston, Burlington) but I don't get down there much. Pen shows are scarce as well, although there is a small Boston show next weekend I'll try to make.

The 100 is on its way, currently tracking as entering the US through NY a couple of days ago. I expect to have it in my hands soon. And yes, I'm finding way too many online vendors are advertising stock they don't have. It's annoying, and borderline dishonest if you ask me, barring simple mistakes. But it's happened way too often for them all to be mistakes, I found the 100 at Andy's Pens in the UK. Fast and friendly service so far.

I've had some really bad luck with CS lately. My paid but unshipped 100 directly from CS happened just before they went under, so I'm out a good chunk of change. And don't let those folks who say you're safe if you use PayPal fool you, you are NOT! I'm fighting with them now, and will contact my credit card company as well. At present I don't have a lot of faith I'll ever see that money again.

Got my 100 the other day and I am very pleased with it, hope your one is fine, but as you are buying from Andy's Pens I don't think you will have any problems as he always checks pens before dispatch.

As I said on my previous post the clip mounting on the Churchill is poor and my one was made in 2001. If they couldn't sort it out in 13 years then..... but its a bit too late now.

Peter

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I have to say that the clip design is what put me off buying a bracket brown Churchill about two years ago. It looked to be a poor design compared with the fit and finish of the rest of the pen. On that occasion I deferred to an Onoto blue/gold chased Magna Classic.

However, a Churchill remained on my shopping list and in light of recent developments I bought what must be just about the last standard model left in the country from Andy's Pens which was delivered to me on Friday. Unfortunately, it was a case of Hobson's Choice as bracket green was the only one he had in stock excepting a First World War 'Poppy' model. However, on looking it over I'm very happy with the colour. It's understated and classy.

Having been disappointed with the quality control on a Belliver earlier this year which had to go back to the factory to have an obvious problem repaired, I specifically asked Andy to make sure all was in order before posting it out to me since it would obviously not be possible to return this one for a repair. I have to say the pen is fine and the clip appears to be fitted slightly better than yours but only just. The tabs are still visible though and although in any event I carry all my pens in an appropriate case, I would not be tempted to try and secure the Churchill in my pocket using the clip as it looks as if it would eventually pull out of the cap.

My Churchill is now put away ready for Father Christmas to deliver.

On an associated note, can anyone confirm the equivalent green Diamine ink to the Conway Stewart branded ink that the pen is delivered with? I'm guessing it's either Umber, Woodland Green or Delamere Green?

Kind regards,

Tim

I had exactly the same issue with my custom Red Whirl Churchill. Do what I did: Send it back to CS and have them fashion a new cap.

Oh, wait... hold on...

:wallbash:

Too many pens; too little writing.

Hope the new 100 you're waiting for doesn't disappoint you either as it does not have brass innards. It too is a fairly lightweight pen.

Hope the new 100 you're waiting for doesn't disappoint you either as it does not have brass innards. It too is a fairly lightweight pen.

I had expected it to be, more of a carry pen that something that sits on my desk. As a carry pen, lighter weight is desirable.

I too prefer lighter but wider pens - they are more comfortable for writing. Personally, have never seen any kind of association between weight and price.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I too prefer lighter but wider pens - they are more comfortable for writing. Personally, have never seen any kind of association between weight and price.

It's the question of perceived quality. To many, irrespective of the truth, a heavier pen feels more substantial, and therefore better.

I tried to get this across in a review of a Nakaya a while ago - that its lack of weight is itself a sign of quality and transcendental engineering. For some, this argument will often fall on deaf ears...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

It's the question of perceived quality. To many, irrespective of the truth, a heavier pen feels more substantial, and therefore better.

I tried to get this across in a review of a Nakaya a while ago - that its lack of weight is itself a sign of quality and transcendental engineering. For some, this argument will often fall on deaf ears...

This certainly may be the case for many.

For me, I like a heavier pen, as it seems to give me better control, a sort of feedback, while a very light pen makes me "overshoot", so to say.

Also, a heavier, brass/metal pen is, in my opinion, less likely to crack when falling.(though not impossible!!)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I think most people don't use fountain pens for very long periods of writing, given the availability and practicality of PCs and printers. Fountain pens (as any other pens these days) tend to be used mostly for signatures and brief note taking, hence the importance of heft and perceived quality etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Churchills; one with a Sterling clip and the other the gold plated clip. Both clips are mounted snug up against the cap with no extra space between the clip and cap.

j1020

Yeah, it seems the newer the Churchill is, the more prone to that kind of shoddy clip attachment. Which is a shame, it's a nice pen otherwise, if a little on the light side. All my other Conway Stewarts have been flawless. I may try and find one next year, either NOS or used, we'll see. Lately I've been using a very light pen for another purpose (music nib) and am enjoying it very much, so maybe the weight is more a perception issue with me than a real drawback. It's sometimes hard to break through a preconceived notion.