Petrified Pen? (Or Other Odd Materials)

Djehuty

On a recent ill-starred road trip, I managed to cross an item off my bucket list by visiting Petrified Forest National Park. I'd wanted to see the place ever since it was used to explain fossilization to me when I was a wee nipper. While there, I was finally able to see and feel petrified trees, and it wasn't long before the thought occurred: this would be an extraordinary material for a fountain pen! :eureka:

So I was wondering, would anyone know whether it would be possible to make a fountain pen out of petrified wood? How would one go about commissioning such a thing? This is in the very early exploratory stage, of course, but if it's possible, maybe next year (when I'll be heading back out west) I can stop by the park again and (legally!) scrounge up some petrified wood for pen-making.

This also brings to mind odd pen materials in general. I know the Visconti Homo sapiens pen is made of lava rock and resin, but what other strange substances are being used for pen-making?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djehuty

• Algester

• pen2paper

• Lou Erickson

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a thread which shows a pen made out of bog oak..

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/272488-irish-bog-oak-piston-filler/

Your post caused me to wonder about the lava/resin mix.. must be pulverized with resin as a binder to add enough composite flex? (edited to add: to allow the material to be turned on a lathe). The feel of the homo sapiens lava is quite wonderful.

I too have a petrified wood piece given to me as a child - never visited the actual "forest".. So, whether this fossilized stone could be turned??? thinking it would likewise need to be pulverized, thus losing the wood to stone appearance, but I agree it would make a fascinating pen material if possible.

In the region where I live interesting fossil remains such as horn coral, Petoskey stones are fairly common.. the Petoskey pattern would make a fabulous finish, but doubtful it there's any way to turn retaining the defining geometric pattern.

hmmm... pondering, if the material were cut in flat planks or cabs, could be used as insertion, (like pearl or gemstone), on a multi-sided pen, or as a cap jewel?

there are several pen turners here who could weigh in on this... Shawn, Mr. Denim ; ) would be one

Edited by pen2paper

You're right, the stone probably wouldn't take well to a lathe. I was thinking in terms of drilling, sanding, polishing, and so forth, which could probably be done. But the overall pen shape... I'd have to find someone willing to hold sandpaper on it as it spins on a lathe for about eight years straight. Probably not going to happen. And if it could be done, it would probably be incredibly fragile. Darn, all my best ideas turn out not to be.

But I really like this idea you've had, of using petrified wood inserts. Now I'm thinking of a wood pen with grooves cut in the body, into which strips of petrified wood are placed. So all I'd need to find is a good pen-turner, a supply of petrified wood, someone skilled in lapidary work to cut the bits to the right size, and a few thousand dollars to pay for it all. :lol:

Your post caused me to wonder about the lava/resin mix.. must be pulverized with resin as a binder to add enough composite flex? (edited to add: to allow the material to be turned on a lathe). The feel of the homo sapiens lava is quite wonderful.

I know nothing about how Visconti uses the lava, but "cultured marble" is finely powered stone mixed with resin. It isn't turned on a lathe; it's usually molded. You see sinks and countertops made of it.

I assumed the Visconti resin/lava was similar. I don't know, though, and was just assuming.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Petrified wood GvFC Pen of the year 2007 <-- in my pen bucket list

Horse hair GvFC pen of the year 2009

no wht pretty much look at GvFC pens they are unique if not made out of wood they are made out of very very unique materials that is not pretentious as "precious resin" heck stingray leather? and Ivory... ok...

Sailor Arita is made out of porcelain YES LIKE ACTUAL POTTERY

Hakase has turtle shell material... can only be bought if your in Japan and probably can't be imported

Micarta, TWSBI and Sailor did it but TWSBI gets the props for making the entire thing out of micarta Sailor still used a plastic section

Pilot Legno <- still resined wood

Edited by Algester

You can impregnate actual wood with resin giving you the appearance of wood with the strength of acrylic. Much less fragile than stone would be. With so many varieties of trees and with the ability to tint the resin I am sure you could come up with something that resembled the petrified wood at a much lower cost and less weight. You could start your search with the blank suppliers and your choice of turner, you need to verify that the material would be suitable for a pen.

I hope you find what you seek, that will undoubtedly be a beautiful instrument.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Petrified wood GvFC Pen of the year 2007 <-- in my pen bucket list

Horse hair GvFC pen of the year 2009

no wht pretty much look at GvFC pens they are unique if not made out of wood they are made out of very very unique materials that is not pretentious as "precious resin" heck stingray leather? and Ivory... ok...

Sailor Arita is made out of porcelain YES LIKE ACTUAL POTTERY

Hakase has turtle shell material... can only be bought if your in Japan and probably can't be imported

Micarta, TWSBI and Sailor did it but TWSBI gets the props for making the entire thing out of micarta Sailor still used a plastic section

Pilot Legno <- still resined wood

Very interesting list, thanks. :) And I'd forgotten about this pen. Although, oddly, they seem to have sought out the most monochromatic, textureless petrified wood around.

You can impregnate actual wood with resin giving you the appearance of wood with the strength of acrylic. Much less fragile than stone would be. With so many varieties of trees and with the ability to tint the resin I am sure you could come up with something that resembled the petrified wood at a much lower cost and less weight. You could start your search with the blank suppliers and your choice of turner, you need to verify that the material would be suitable for a pen.

I hope you find what you seek, that will undoubtedly be a beautiful instrument.

Paul

The only problem there is that petrified wood doesn't necessarily look like wood. As an example, a closeup from my recent visit to the Petrified Forest:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/djehutynakht/petrifiedwood_zps245c0961.jpg

That's the sort of thing I'd love to have made into a pen. Someday, perhaps. :cloud9:

Very interesting list, thanks. :) And I'd forgotten about this pen. Although, oddly, they seem to have sought out the most monochromatic, textureless petrified wood around.

The only problem there is that petrified wood doesn't necessarily look like wood. As an example, a closeup from my recent visit to the Petrified Forest:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/djehutynakht/petrifiedwood_zps245c0961.jpg

That's the sort of thing I'd love to have made into a pen. Someday, perhaps. :cloud9:

I think you can also send them your choice wood... or that's probably only applicable to the horse hair one

but either way I think thats what it is... in the end I still think it's not comfortable to hold a pen with a jagged shaped barrel and like all other natural materials you will get a really unique grains from the material

"In a silica-rich environment, the petrified wood can develop into a preliminary stage of the semi-precious stones chalcedony and agate. The Pen of the Year 2007 shows up the aesthetic qualities of this gemstone in a unique way."

Edited by Algester