• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• FarmBoy

• Cryptos

• Glenn Atkins

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the HERO 616 is quite a good pen but not for that price :).

So it is an original Parker?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

So it is an original Parker?

I am not sure if that was a joke reply.

The 616 is a Hero copy of the Parker 51 (sort of) which can be purchased new for around £3.75.

Not recommended.

Peter

I posted the OP because it was amusing and might elicit some funny remarks. I would be very surprised if anyone is taking this seriously.

My reference to a joke reply was addressed to just that, a reply. The problem with sales like this is that people with very little knowledge will be taken in and think that it is, indeed, a Parker. For £3.75 New, not a bad buy. For £15.00 Used, not a good idea.

Peter

Actually I have 3 Hero 616 pens sitting on my desk and I find that for a $5 pen they write just fine, make good throw in the bag pens, and are a great (and cheap) introduction to hooded nibs and the overall Parker 51 design.

@Matlock,

FarmBoy has 5,531 posts and is one of the most recognized Parker authorities on FPN, in my observation, and believe me he knows the difference between 616 and 51 is not just 565.

Regards,

Glenn

@Matlock,

FarmBoy has 5,531 posts and is one of the most recognized Parker authorities on FPN, in my observation, and believe me he knows the difference between 616 and 51 is not just 565.

Regards,

Glenn

I was sure that FarmBoy knew his Parkers, however, I was always taught that "great knowledge was no guarantee that you could not be dead wrong" :).

Peter

That Farmboy can be a muse sometimes.

His comment likely arises from the misconception that travels the ether and routinely stops somewhere on the internet pen boards that involves Parker having a factory in China that was nationalized and turned into the Hero Pen Co that used the tooling for the 51 that Parker left behind to make all manner of 51 clones. Noteworthy is in some versions of the story, the 51 was developed in China for unknown but presumed secrecy reasons. In case anyone cares, Parker didn't have a factory in China before WW II nor did they have one during or immediately after WW II that is documented in Parker source literature anywhere that he is aware of.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Live and learn....if I got me a g-note every time I heard that one

I read me primary source material..............................................

if it's on the web it must be true....not.........................................

Fascinatin' ain't it....

Fred

close your eyes and tap your heels together three times..

and think to yourself..there's no place like home...

Glinda-----

white manhattan 2 1/2 oz moonshine..3/4 oz dry vermouth..dash of bitters..

if you must garnish..peel of lemon{freakin' happy smiley face time}

Edited by Freddy

That Farmboy can be a muse sometimes.

His comment likely arises from the misconception that travels the ether and routinely stops somewhere on the internet pen boards that involves Parker having a factory in China that was nationalized and turned into the Hero Pen Co that used the tooling for the 51 that Parker left behind to make all manner of 51 clones. Noteworthy is in some versions of the story, the 51 was developed in China for unknown but presumed secrecy reasons. In case anyone cares, Parker didn't have a factory in China before WW II nor did they have one during or immediately after WW II that is documented in Parker source literature anywhere that he is aware of.

T

Perhaps that has put that one to bed, but on second thoughts, I am sure that rumour will still be circulating in ten years time.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

Barney knows too...

ME:
Barney
I'm not familiar with a Parker model 616 though I am not fully versed on English manufacture Parkers. Does the pen say "Parker" anywhere on the body, filler, cap, or nib?

Regards

The REPLY:

Hi
this is a Hero 616, Chinese version pen (copy of Parker 51).

When the Chinese have taken over all pen production in the world, the story will probably go out that the Parker 51 was a copy of the Hero 616. :)

Peter

When the Chinese have taken over all pen production in the world, the story will probably go out that the Parker 51 was a copy of the Hero 616. :)

That story is already out there. I think we will eventually get to the point where George was from Shanghai and moved to WI because he liked cheddar.

That story is already out there. I think we will eventually get to the point where George was from Shanghai and moved to WI because he liked cheddar.

So George liked cheddar? Geoffrey Parker didn't mention that when I was speaking to him a couple of years back.

Peter