Can I Use Other Ink?

Valid

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/grandhawk/IMG_20140920_015541_zpsdc0fdaa1.jpg

I've received my leopard-blue Pilot metropolitan in the mail today! Ain't she a beauty.

The little pamphlet I've received tells me that I should only use Pilot and Namiki bottled ink, but would it be okay if I used Parker ink?

They do sell Pilot ink in 30cc quantities for around $3 here, but I can buy Parker ink in larger bottle for $10.

Edited by Valid

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icywolfe

• Lou Erickson

• Valid

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bottle of Irish Green Montblanc ink that specifies it should only be used in Montblanc pens. I don't even own a Montblanc. I've put it in every pen I own at one point or another. In my experience any manufacturer who says "use only X with our brand" is usually just trying to get you to continue purchasing products they can make money from. At the end of the day I'm pretty much positive that ink is ink is ink. Unless you're dealing with a different type of ink, such as iron gall. I have no experience there but if the ink is standard FP ink it can be used in any pen.

Yes of course.

That claim is just to protect themselves. Besides, pen manufacturers always make their nibs such that it fits the feature of their ink (for example, Pelikan 4001 ink is notoriously dry so the Pelikan nibs are made wetter), which is why they encourage you to use their ink instead.

Inks from pen manufacturers and other dedicated ink companies like Noodler's and J Herbin is okay for use in fountain pens!

No India ink and things like that though, clogs up the pen real badly. Only ink that specifically states that it can be used in fountain pens.

Modern day iron gall inks for fountain pens are tamer than those of the past, so feel free to use them. One might have to clean the pens out more often though.

Hope I helped.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

The first ink I filled my Pilot Metropolitan with was from a rival Japanese pen company, i.e., Platinum's blue-black ink, which is an iron gall ink. No problems. The Pilot's ink recommendation is more a matter of marketing and avoiding liability.

Yup. You can use any other ink you like no harm in it. Except Noodlers Bay state blue. They're a bit odd.

Personally I'd just stick to pilot blue. Its a nice blue that's waterproof. Much better than Parker ink imo

I have Baystate blue in my Pilot Metropolitan right now and have been using it since the day I bought the pen with no negative effects, so if you care to back up your statement ? BTW - that's a good looking purple metro!

Any fountain pen ink is fine in your Metro. I started my recent FP journey with a Metro just like that one (isn't it a great color?) and have had Pelikan, Waterman, Nooder's, and even some Pilot ink in it. It's all worked fine.

Like others have said, it's just marketing. Use any fountain pen ink. Don't use dip pen ink or acrylics.

It's like when you see the recipes on the back of cereal boxes where the General Mills cereal calls for all the other ingredients they make by name. You don't really need the Kraft brand marshmallows to make Rice Krispie treats. Any marshmallows will do. But they'll tell you to use their brand.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Though ain't nothing wrong with going Iroshizuku if you don't mind the cost (pretty well suited), but yea you can use Diamine, Noodlers, J.Herbin, Waterman, Private Reserve, etc etc. They all have different models with different properties, some run wet, some run dry, some dry up easier than others, some don't like very fine nibs.

If you're in the US you can get sample vials from GouletPens.com iSellPens.com and one other I think, they're around $1 a sample with about 2ml of ink which is enough for about two to three fills.

Just make sure you clean the pen out completely before switching inks (the nib/feed is a friction fit where it can pull out, just have to grab them together and sometimes wiggle it loose as the nib hooks onto the feed, pulling that out may make it easier to rinse out more stubborn inks, but should be enough to keep flushing it until no colors show in most cases). Cross-contamination can have some pretty odd results such as eating away at the rubber of the squeeze filler or eating the feed or clog up the feed/etc. So don't be hasty with pen hygiene when going from one ink to another.

Edited by KBeezie

I myself recommend that you start with the ink recommended by your brand of pen, and later you try others. My Pilots don't like other brands very much. It is important that you learn how well Pilot ink behaves in that pen, so you can judge better other inks.

Noo you'll explode the world!

Just don't use dipping pen ink.

Don't be silly, the only way that can happen is when you divide by zero xD

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Don't be silly, the only way that can happen is when you divide by zero xD

Read some of the info of the pen warranties. They always make it sound like you will destroy the world when you put another company's ink.

#Nope

You can use any fountain pen ink you want, if you can get if can get 30ccs of ink for $3 I suggest you give it a try. It will last you quite a while and in my option it's an excellent everyday ink. Personally I much prefer it over Quink, but that's just my personal preference.

How has Diamine been in business for so long? No one uses their inks because they don't make any pens.

Jokes aside, use any ink that is labelled "Safe for Fountain Pens". Companies just want you to use their inks.

Tom.

nice pen, you can use MB Blue ou PR Reserve Lake Placid Blue

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time