Which Gold Stub Nibbed Pen Would You Choose?

BladeandStone

Greetings:

Longtime reader, first-time poster. Thank you to all for making this a robust community of information and passion! Happy to be on the inside...

I'm looking for recommendations for a Gold Stubbed pen. Not vintage; current manufacture. If possible, a narrower stub like something closer to a 1.1 stub in Lamy steel.

I'm using a Pilot Prera Calligraphy Medium (CM) now, but need a pen with more weight, smoother nib (hence gold), and just bigger. The prera is seriously miniature.

Would like to keep it under $300, but if something is a "must-have" then please shout it out. There's no counting pennies this far down the rabbit hole. :)

Be well,

Ben

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lahlahlaw

• Randal6393

• View from the Loft

• BladeandStone

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ben,

First off, I wouldn't say you need a gold nib for smoothness. I have steel nibs that I have adjusted myself, that are smoother than many gold nibs. That being said, I think that gold nibs, especially 18k, offer a 'cushiony' feel when writing, which I like.

If I were you, with that budget, I would look for a nice gold-nibbed pen you like, with say a B or BB, and have it custom ground to a Stub or Cusive Italic. This would probably give you the best result.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay

I would by any pen of your choice in <B> or <BB> and send it to a nibmeister for modification. Chances are you'd have to do this anyway with a factory stub to get it writing to your liking. Mike-it-Work would be my first choice.

@arts_nibs

Gold or steel, both can be beautifully smooth. After all, neither metal actually touches the paper - it's the tipping material, a hard alloy containing things like tungsten, ruthenium, iridium, osmium ( http://www.nibs.com/article4.html ) that touches the paper.

Tine alignment and the tipping's grind are far more responsible for the sensation of smoothness than the material the nib is made from.

Instagram @inkysloth

Gold or steel, both can be beautifully smooth. After all, neither metal actually touches the paper - it's the tipping material, a hard alloy containing things like tungsten, ruthenium, iridium, osmium ( http://www.nibs.com/article4.html ) that touches the paper.

Tine alignment and the tipping's grind are far more responsible for the sensation of smoothness than the material the nib is made from.

That is the truth, a-pen brotha. I wonder if company's use the same tipping material on their gold pens than on their steel ones..? In any case, I have many very cheap steel pens that have no tipping at all, and the steel is just as smooth as a $1,000 Montblanc. It's all in the grind.

@arts_nibs

:W2FPN:

Hi,

I certainly support other Members' suggestion to purchase the pen you want, then have a stock Western B - BB modified to the desired shape and set-up for the wetness you prefer; and that hand-tuned steel nibs can be very good indeed. I have a 1.0 Stub ground from a Pelikan M200 g-p steel BB from the well regarded Mr Binder, which is in the OooLaLa category.

Keeping within your criteria of a new, full size, gold Stub nib pen with some heft, <USD300, kindly consider the Waterman Carene. One of my Carenes is fitted with the factory stock Stub, which is a lovely writer. The Carene has proven to be highly reliable, and is a favourite for long haul writing. I also have a Parker Sonnet with a gold factory stock Stub, which is wonderful, but I prefer that of the Carene - perhaps the Carene's inset nib makes it just that bit more firm than the open nib of the Sonnet, so I find it easier to keep such a wide shaped nib running evenly on the sweet spot (?)

As good as factory stock Stubs can be, you may still choose to have them hand ground to achieve a higher ratio of down-stroke to cross-stroke line width, and a more clearly defined sweet spot.

I'm not so sure the Japanese B nibs would give the 1.1mm down-stroke line width you desire. However, some Sailor pens can be had with gold two-tine Music (MS) nibs, which I reckon could be modified to a 1.1 Stub. I have a 1911M with an MS nib, which would likely be too small and low mass, so a larger model might be up your street.

As ever, we are spoiled for choice. :)

Bye,

S1

__ __

See also: 'What pen has the best Stub nib you've ever used?' https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/273686-what-pen-has-the-best-stub-nib-youve-ever-used/?p=3109584

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

If you are going down the route of a brand new pen, then yes, buy a B or BB nib and have it custom ground. However, I wouldn't rule out vintage pens. I have some wonderful stub nibs on vintage Conway Stewart and Parker pens.

Have two Conklin stub nibs and an Aurora stub that are pretty decent . Pelikan also makes a pretty decent stub. Would choose a pen based on how reliable and sturdy I felt the pen was. So, yes, pick your favorite pen, get a wide nib, and send it off to a nibmeister.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?