The Value Of Loaner Programs

ScienceChick

Backstory: I've used FPs, off and on, since I was neighbors with Fred and Wilma. I've always used F nibs and slender pens and never tried anything else as I knew I wouldn't like a wider nib or heftier pen. There are no pen stores locally for me to try other options and why would I try anything else anyway? I wasn't that into FPs and I knew what I liked.

Sometimes you think you know when you really don't know squat.

I am fortunate enough to have been a loanee in the Esterbrook Loaner Program. I 'fessed up my lack of experience and knowledge to dcpritch (the kind person loaning to me) and he responded by sending me multiple nibs from F to italic and everything in between.

I learned that I really like broad nibs and love stubs. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me but I got to try them and experiment with different inks and have my preconceptions challenged. I just bought a Shaeffer Holly pen and the deciding factor was its B nib; before this I wouldn't have considered it unless it had a F. I also learned that an Esterbrook J is a very comfortable size.

I'm also using one of amberleadavis's TWSBI 540s with a Tomahawk stub (the work of lahlahlaw) - a hefty pen and lovely to write with. And that stub . . . wow! Check out her TWSBI Loaner thread.

So fellow sorta newbies and anyone else who's decided what you like without exploring the options - get in on a loaner program and try something you don't think you'll like. You may be right or you may be pleasantly wrong in your assumptions.

Jeez, I sound like some sort of zealot. At 85% FP addict, I guess I am. :rolleyes:

Edited by ScienceChick

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• OcalaFlGuy

• ScienceChick

• ac12

There is an old saying that I think goes, "you don't know if you will like it, until you try it."

I too am a F nib writer, I tried a 1.1 stub italic, and I loved it. Not enough to displace my F nib, but as a real alternate nib when I want a wider more interesting ink line.

I agree about actually holding the pen. I bought a Lamy 2000 over the internet, without holding it. As soon as I held it, I knew it was a mistake. It was larger in diameter and heavier than I prefer. I even gave it a 2 months trial to see if I could adapt to it. No go. As soon as I switched back to my slimlines, my hand felt more comfortable.

And welcome to the world of Esterbrooks.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

As an older saying goes, " It isn't what you don't know that causes problems. It's all the things you know to

be absolutely true, that aint so." I value an open mind.

I hold the Esterbrook Loaner people in highest regard.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thank you ScienceChick!

OcalaFlGuy was the founder of the Estie Loaner Program and one of my favorite threads Don't Tell ... Show. Because of members like Bruce (OcalaFlGuy), David (DCPritch), Paul (kidde) and Paul (Pajaro), I have been able to try pens, learn about what I LOVE, like and dislike. Without their generosity, I would not have been able to afford to try all the pens that I have or acquire a collection that suits me so well.

So, if you haven't ever tried an Estie or a TWSBI, sign up and give it a go.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

85% isn't bad, it doesn't sound boastful and leaves room for improvement. :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed using the Esterbrooks - they returned today, by the way, in perfect condition. And I'm even more glad you were able to learn some things about pens and nibs you hadn't used before now. I continually learn things, even though I've been using FPs for 25 years, and I never cease to marvel at the variety and interest to be had with our common affliction. :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

My pen friend's GClef loaning out his personal pens was the inspiration for the Loaner Program.

The Very amiable and generous residents of the Estieville forum ARE the Loaner Program. It is Nothing without the Loaner Outters who fastidiously maintain their Loaner pens and nibs and are Always At The Ready when borrowers request their pens.

I haven't totaled up our Second Full Year loan out figures but I think I can come pretty close. We've had over 40 loan outs. All our pens returned undamaged. The vast majority of All the Borrowers went on to get their own multiple Esterbrooks. There are Esties available to borrow in 5 countries on 3 continents.

We've had FPNers who borrowed their Loaner Esties via the program later become Loaner Outters Themselves after obtaining their own Esties.

THAT'S the most supporting evidence of the programs success IMO.

Thanks be to ALL the residents of Estieville who participate in the program, be they Borrowers or Loaner Outters.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce, thank you for mentioning GCelf. GClef was my first donor and I was able to try out a beautiful Ingersol. Your Estie Program has certainly helped many. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

GClef is a hoot! He's loaned out A Ton of his own various pens, many of them Top Shelfers.

He and I had a blast doing those few "Guess the Close Price" give always contests. We found some crazy pens to guess on. Manny actually scored a couple of the contest listing pens himself, one of them a Righteous Blue Clear Lucite 100 year pen.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

There is an old saying that I think goes, "you don't know if you will like it, until you try it."

I too am a F nib writer, I tried a 1.1 stub italic, and I loved it. Not enough to displace my F nib, but as a real alternate nib when I want a wider more interesting ink line.

I agree about actually holding the pen. I bought a Lamy 2000 over the internet, without holding it. As soon as I held it, I knew it was a mistake. It was larger in diameter and heavier than I prefer. I even gave it a 2 months trial to see if I could adapt to it. No go. As soon as I switched back to my slimlines, my hand felt more comfortable.

And welcome to the world of Esterbrooks.

Thanks; it's a nice world :) I still love most of my fine nibs but man, does ink have more impact in a broader nib.

I, too, have bought a few pens without a test-drive that I've regretted. Fortunately nothing very expensive.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Due to the amount of flex pen questions being posted lately I have been kicking around the idea of starting an Eversharp Skyline "pass the pen" thread. I recently resusciated two Skylines with decently flexy nibs and while the pens are awesome to write with they in rough shape cosmetically (mismatched hardware, one is missing a clip and the other has a VERY beat up and discolored cap). In my mind this makes them perfect for users to pass them along as I really can't see seling them for much money. My only predicament is the logistics of getting the thread going and how to ensure the pen is passed along in a timely manner. Any thoughts from those of you who have participated in this type of a program or started one would be much appreciated.

Paul

Due to the amount of flex pen questions being posted lately I have been kicking around the idea of starting an Eversharp Skyline "pass the pen" thread. I recently resusciated two Skylines with decently flexy nibs and while the pens are awesome to write with they in rough shape cosmetically (mismatched hardware, one is missing a clip and the other has a VERY beat up and discolored cap). In my mind this makes them perfect for users to pass them along as I really can't see seling them for much money. My only predicament is the logistics of getting the thread going and how to ensure the pen is passed along in a timely manner. Any thoughts from those of you who have participated in this type of a program or started one would be much appreciated.

Paul

I think there is another thread in the Frequently Discussed Topics that you might consider scoping out. It was about passing forward a journal and a TWSBI pen. This item went out of the USA and some of the postage costs were high. The idea was to use the TWSBI or your own pen to write in the journal. Then pass it on.

I think you have to be willing to occasionally not get a pen back. Then too, sometimes I let somebody take one for an extended time. I think I will make all of my Esterbrooks available, because I don't write a lot with fountain pens these days. I have explored some different makes of pens, and I moved on from Esterbrook to Waterman and then back to Parker with Vac 51s. I am about penned out.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think there is another thread in the Frequently Discussed Topics that you might consider scoping out. It was about passing forward a journal and a TWSBI pen. This item went out of the USA and some of the postage costs were high. The idea was to use the TWSBI or your own pen to write in the journal. Then pass it on.

I think you have to be willing to occasionally not get a pen back. Then too, sometimes I let somebody take one for an extended time. I think I will make all of my Esterbrooks available, because I don't write a lot with fountain pens these days. I have explored some different makes of pens, and I moved on from Esterbrook to Waterman and then back to Parker with Vac 51s. I am about penned out.

I'm sorry you are penned out. I do appreciate you loaning me your pen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never used a TWSBI pen before and was astounded when Amberlea up and offered to loan me one, and a very nice one it was - a TWSBI 540 Smoke demonstrator modlel with a custom stub nib by nibmeister LahLahLaw.

It's lovely and light with just enough size to still be comfortable for a person with very small hands like me. The nib was smooth and writes wet enough to please me and keep a solid line. It came loaded with one of the new KZWi inks, #17, which I found to be a bright and cheerful purple just dark enough for everyday use. (thanks Amberlea!) When I'd run through my sample it was easy to clean with the handy piston filler and a little time.

What a pleasure to try out a pen I might never have tried thanks to Amberlea's generousity. I've never had the opportunity to try a pen before buying it and I love it. I've bought my share of pens I didn't really like once they'd arrived so this was both fun and informative. What a great idea! The TWSBI is now on my list of pens-to-buy next! To be trusted with a pen AND ink that I'd been curious about by a complete stranger is a deligjhtful and humbling experience. Another happy TWSBI loanee!