The Lever Sort Of... Dangles

Reefallo

Beautiful restored Sheaffer Balance that I got about 18 months ago; suddenly last night, I noticed the lever wasn't flush against the body. It was flopping about and jutting out at a good 30-degree angle.

Does that just mean the sac gave out? Or something more serious went wrong?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Reefallo

• kidde

• scully012

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess j-bar also. I have had one bar tear the sac and get stuck, giving the same symptom as yours. Either way you have to pull the section. Both repairs are straightforward so let us know exactly what it turns out to be.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Note that Sheaffers did not use a J bar, which is a particular design for a pressure bar; they employed a more efficient pressure bar design. A J bar is so called because it is a single piece of metal shaped roughly like the letter 'J'; it is inexpensive and does not provide efficient evacuation of the sac, whereas the designs used by better makers such as Sheaffer have a rigid component that can flatten the sac almost completely. Some Sheaffer pressure bars are shaped somewhat like a J, though they have separate areas for compression and for spring action.

I agree that the pressure bar is likely damaged, or perhaps it is hanging up on a bunched-up sac or other impediment.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

If you can not get a system Sheaffer'S I think a J-Bar adapting it to the barrel end is not a bad solution. At least, better than nothing. Here the systems in question.

Edited by Lazard 20

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files